WELDING- A better EGR solution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WELDING- A better EGR solution?

I am taking my time on my 4th H22 build. I always block the EGR, but that still lets heat into the manifold from the head to the block plate.

So I'm looking at this head while I'm porting it, and the LED in my brain goes off again. Why don't I get someone who can weld aluminum to weld shut the egr port from the outside of the head? That will disable the system AND block all but radiant heat transfer to the manifold. I can easily grind the weld down flat before I put the intake manifold back on.

Has anyone else seen or thought of this, because it seems like it should've been obvious to someone before me. What problems may come with this solution? Is the heat from welding within tolerances for the head?

Any comments and especially knowledge is appreciated, guys.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
    After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
    Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
    PM me and get it done right!

It does not make sense to weld it, There are a few reasons.

Its a little hard welding the head, Its not full aluminium so thats a little tricky.

Next is, The head may warp by the intake ports if not careful.

After everything is done, you have to spend money to get the intake side milled.

The better solution would be to tap the hole of the EGR in the head and use a set screw that goes in far enough to not interfere with the intake manifold.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747 View Post
      It does not make sense to weld it, There are a few reasons.

Its a little hard welding the head, Its not full aluminium so thats a little tricky.

Next is, The head may warp by the intake ports if not careful.

After everything is done, you have to spend money to get the intake side milled.

The better solution would be to tap the hole of the EGR in the head and use a set screw that goes in far enough to not interfere with the intake manifold.
      Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering about the heat issue more than anything, but I see there's more to consider. I could probably use a honing stone to hand mill the intake surface as long as it wasn't warped, but the material and heat problems you mentioned seem too risky.

The set screw idea is good, I've seen that technique used (on smaller holes) to convert the Euro-R manifold to our stuff. It is also something I could do myself, and seal with sealant.

The port in question is about 15mm in diameter, so the tricky part here might be locating a huge 16mm tap and matching set screw/plug if I can stay metric. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find it in standard or pipe thread size.
      Thanks again.

Another solution I thought of was cutting my own teflon intake manifold gasket (which I'll probably do anyway) and just not cutting out the EGR port hole, but I don't know if it will hold up without reinforcement...

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
      After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
      Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
      PM me and get it done right!

Comment

I used JB weld to block mine off and used a brown roloc to get it smooth on a right angle grinder. the brown won't take off the metal as long as you just maybe bump it but don't go crazy once you get close the the head. get a for sure smooth strait edge, like a machinist six inch ruler(i used it) and just go until you have no light showing once you lay the ruler over the plugged port and the IM. I also used a hondata IM gasket and skunk2 IM. good luck..
        vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
          Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering about the heat issue more than anything, but I see there's more to consider. I could probably use a honing stone to hand mill the intake surface as long as it wasn't warped, but the material and heat problems you mentioned seem too risky.

The set screw idea is good, I've seen that technique used (on smaller holes) to convert the Euro-R manifold to our stuff. It is also something I could do myself, and seal with sealant.

The port in question is about 15mm in diameter, so the tricky part here might be locating a huge 16mm tap and matching set screw/plug if I can stay metric. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find it in standard or pipe thread size.
          Thanks again.

Another solution I thought of was cutting my own teflon intake manifold gasket (which I'll probably do anyway) and just not cutting out the EGR port hole, but I don't know if it will hold up without reinforcement...
          It does not matter which tap you really use. But a NPT pipe tap would be easier to find and cheaper than a specialty metric size.

Comment

Welding the hold closed wouldn't be a hard task atall for a welder who knows what he is doing. I think it would be a good thing to puddy over the hole with some weld then just get the whole thing ported anyways and they'll smooth it out.

Comment

Working...
            X