Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Short throw shifter comparison - 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short throw shifter comparison - 5 speed

1. Forbidden Motorsports
    http://www.forbiddenmotorsports.com/

2. 92-96 Honda Prelude

3. 91-93 Honda Accord

This photo shows the difference in the leverage between the three shifters.
    As the leverage becomes greater 1>2>3 the throw of the shifter becomes shorter.

1. The OEM Accord shifter is a "compromise" shifter meant to please everyone.

2. The Prelude shifter is more "aggressive" and has a noticeable shorter throw but still a bit of a compromise. Still designed for the masses.

3. Forbidden shifter will go from a little more aggressive than the Prelude shifter (lowest hole) to very short throw (top hole)
    This is a aftermarket part and although well made and designed will need some minor modifications to work to it's full potential with a CB7.

The difference between the OEM Accord shifter and the Forbidden shifter is like night and day.Control is much more precise. Although its not for everyone.

I do not know anyone who works for Forbidden Motorsports nor do I have any financial or other reason for posting this information than for the education of the great users of CB7 Tuner.

All of these shifters are mine.
    OEM from my 93 EX Coupe
    Prelude purchased from a board member. Thanks G 2.2 !
    Forbidden purchased online from same.

Shifter installation is about a 2.5 of 5 in difficultly. If enough people want a DIY I may make one.

Last edited by Old School; 11-15-2008, 12:21 PM.
    Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

they are expensive though, and yeamans provides a great alternative, where the height is also shorter. the forbidden looks to be the same height as the other stockers.

never the less, its a great writeup. shorter shifters are needed in these cars compared to the stock truck shifter.

Hola, tengo tres patas. Me llamo tripod.

Originally posted by d112crzy
    So you're throwing a bitch fit because some other girl at school has the same nail polish and skirt as you do?

Comment

forbidden shifter is dope. been rockin one for over a year now
      Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
      Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
      Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
      Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
      Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

The Forbidden shifter is one of the best mods that I have done to my car, it really is a good upgrade

SOLD!!
        Boosted H22
        375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

great information man, I may pick up a prelude shifter sometime at a junk yard for fun.

Comment

that makes my custom short shifter look ghetto

Comment

Looks like you just shortened the shifter so technically its not a short shifter. A "short" shifter modified the fulcrum to reduce throws. But either way I have the prelude shifter and plate and there was a difference. I guess it changed a bit. I paid 20 for the whole assembly.

The New-ish Ride
              My old Ride
              Hear my Vtak!!!
              MK3 Member #3
              I piss off people for fun.
              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05 View Post
                Looks like you just shortened the shifter so technically its not a short shifter. A "short" shifter modified the fulcrum to reduce throws. But either way I have the prelude shifter and plate and there was a difference. I guess it changed a bit. I paid 20 for the whole assembly.
                nah i cut off the fulcrum point and moved it up about an inch, its usually attached to the cast steel part, i welded it onto the extruded tube. compare it to the stock pic and youll see what i mean

Comment

would a prelude shifter assembly work in our cars? not just teh shifter, but the whole assembly? also, would a shifter "adapter" such as the neuspeed one, work with a forbidden motorsports shifter?

Comment

I bought the whole assembly from the prelude. It lines up about right.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I bought the whole assembly from the prelude. It lines up about right.
                      are the cables the same as ours? is there a difference in length?

Comment

Originally posted by bagoon316 View Post
                        they are expensive though, and yeamans provides a great alternative, where the height is also shorter. the forbidden looks to be the same height as the other stockers.

never the less, its a great writeup. shorter shifters are needed in these cars compared to the stock truck shifter.
                        yeamans shifters are amazing sadly he is stopping his service because too many people promise to ship stuff and never do. at least thats what i read he said
                        Maple50175 - you're annoying =P
                        Brandoncb7 - I don't mean to come across like an ass but I see why you irritate Aaron now.
                        JoshM - Crotch rocket = chick magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtechno View Post
                          are the cables the same as ours? is there a difference in length?
                          Our stock cables will bolt right onto the assembly. Just make sure you get the nut assemblies and shit for the complete shifter they come in useful or you can just run to ace hardware and get the bolts. I used all cb7 parts for the install. The only thing i did was modify the rear grommet. I didnt put that metal sleeve back in and it fit just fine. If you have the metal sleeve in there its slightly off. Either way it works everything else is basically accord.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Our stock cables will bolt right onto the assembly. Just make sure you get the nut assemblies and shit for the complete shifter they come in useful or you can just run to ace hardware and get the bolts. I used all cb7 parts for the install. The only thing i did was modify the rear grommet. I didnt put that metal sleeve back in and it fit just fine. If you have the metal sleeve in there its slightly off. Either way it works everything else is basically accord.
                            thanks so much. i think i got an idea what youre talking about. would you happen too have a pic of the nuts youre talking about?

Comment

That top bolt it has a lock washer on there that comes in handy in the first pic. IF all else fails just get a smaller bolt, washer and nut and you will be set. I loctited all those parts for my shifter to prevent it from backing out from engine vibration or what not. Everything else used was accord. The part that i had issue with was the rear bolts lining up but taking out that metal guide in there allowed me to line it up with the hole and tighten it down. That is the prelude baseplate/prelude shifter with cb parts bolting it together =D.

The New-ish Ride
                              My old Ride
                              Hear my Vtak!!!
                              MK3 Member #3
                              IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Working...
                              X