Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Short throw shifter comparison - 5 speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i should just get the 92-96 Honda Prelude Short throw shifter and it should just hook right up?

Comment

Granite CB7

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Old School View Post
      I would be very interested in knowing how "you can EASILY mod the prelude shift lever into something even better than the forbidden lever for next to nothing."
      Unless you change the lever angle you are not gaining much.
      Am I missing something?

"Sure, and you're not missing anything, it's really simple: you will need a complete 92/96 Lude assy, then decide if you do/do not want to run the 4 plate bushings (this changes the overall height). Basically, cut off the "U" bracket from the lever and have it so that you can do a mock up w/ the bracket loose while it's in the car. I used a piece of plate steel and a small c-clamp. Put entire shifter back in, remove the shift boot from the ctr. console, reinstall. Basically, raise the stock U bracket to the max in 1st, 3rd, and 5th just before the shifter cable hits the bottom of the cupholder tray. There you go, that is the shortest throw w/ a ctr. console you can possibly have. Weld the U bracket in that exact position, keeping the correct axis. I can get more detailed, if it's too vague, LMK if you have any ?'s.

I bolted the shifter plate directly to the car, it's way better, plus more room to raise the U bracket, which is a shorter throw. I was able to raise the U bracket a total of 1 3/8", that's alot considering the Neuspeed adapters can't even raise the pivot 1/2 of that."

Your Mod dose accomplish the same thing,but as far as "you can EASILY mod the prelude shift lever into something even better than the forbidden lever for next to nothing." is great if you have the equipment and skill. I'm sure you do, but get real. I can build a shifter from scratch but I wouldn't expect anyone to do so.
      Modding up a Lude shifter correctly is way beyond the average tuner.
      These shifters are a bargain because of the results and quality.
      Last edited by Old School; 01-23-2009, 06:06 AM.
      Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

^I respect your opinion completely, but I'm going to have to disagree here, and here's why: the ONLY specialized tool that I used for the project was a dremel w/ a cut off wheel. That was to cut the bracket off the shifter. I spent alot of time mocking and fitting w/ my c-clamp, and then I had a good friend of mine quickly weld it in place for me (I don't own a welder). I also don't think it took alot of skill either, it was more patience/attn. to detail, I really do believe most people could pull this off, I really do

As for the results and quality, definitely. 1 thing I always wondered was w/ the forbidden shifter in the accord, how close is it to being the absolute shortest throw w/ the center console? I've never seen 1 personally installed, but I feel good knowing my shifter's throw was shortened to the max and was modded for my exact setup.

Comment

Granite CB7
          All good. I'm a DYI guy too.
          I don't know how many people here own a Dremel or a hack saw or have a buddy that welds.
          But more power to them if they do.
          Even though I have worked as a machinist for twice as long as the CB7 has been around and have everything needed to make about anything, often it is much less expensive to purchase parts.
          Time really is money.
          Keep up the good work
          Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

my forbidden short shifter feels great. I would love to compare it the pspec tho.

forbidden ss + LSD tranny = shifting fun!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
              I have a PSPEC and love it.

Word to the wise: Watch the 3-4 shift as it is MUCH easier to grab 2nd from this shift...
              X2!!! I have one (apparently PSPEC has discontinued the CB7 model SS now) and it is by far the slickest shift I've ever had the privilege of handling. I find the 3-4 shift to only occasionally be a problem when it's cold out.....and you live in AZ, so I can't see it being as cold as it is up here in Iglooville.

People that spend $3000+ on engines and mods and don't upgrade the stock shifter are just crazy, IMHO
              1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                ^I respect your opinion completely, but I'm going to have to disagree here, and here's why: the ONLY specialized tool that I used for the project was a dremel w/ a cut off wheel. That was to cut the bracket off the shifter. I spent alot of time mocking and fitting w/ my c-clamp, and then I had a good friend of mine quickly weld it in place for me (I don't own a welder). I also don't think it took alot of skill either, it was more patience/attn. to detail, I really do believe most people could pull this off, I really do

As for the results and quality, definitely. 1 thing I always wondered was w/ the forbidden shifter in the accord, how close is it to being the absolute shortest throw w/ the center console? I've never seen 1 personally installed, but I feel good knowing my shifter's throw was shortened to the max and was modded for my exact setup.
                Granite cb7 walked me through this and it is simple, anyone can do it! the results were amazing too. Highly recommend mod.

Comment

Working...
                X