First Retrofit, TypeR projectors....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Retrofit, TypeR projectors....

While I was redoing my suspension last week, I decided to remove and "blackhouse" the headlights real quick.
    I got the lights open and was showing a friend what I was up to, but they know me well and gave me shit for not going ahead with a retrofit when I have projectors I can use. I will still do a black-out on everything but the high beam reflector dish before reassembly.

So now I'm doing a full (halogen) projector retrofit, using JDM integra TypeR 9006 projectors. I got them from a set of real JDM DC TypeR one-piece headlights I picked up at a junkyard for $20.

Wish they were the HID ones, and the cutoff's on the wrong side since it's JDM, but I'll either modify it or just not worry about it (like everyone else with real Japanese market headlights). I plan on buying a 9006 HID "Kit" once these are done. I've got a set of Porsche HI/LO combo projectors, but this is my first retrofit, being cheap, and I'm saving those for another project.

I did not realize before I got started just how large the Integra's projectors are.

I have to grind the housing down so close on the top and bottom of the projector body that I am shaving off the screws that hold the front and back of the projector body together.

Fortunately it didn't take much modification to use the back of the existing holes for the lens bezel.

I thought carving out the stock 9006 bulb holder hole would let me slide the projector housing right in,

but the Accord's bulb hole isn't actually in the center (top-to-bottom) of the housing. The projector sits a little crooked as is, pointed slightly up since the hole in the back is slightly low. I'll be slotting the hole in an upward direction to allow the projector to center, but things still look promising.

This is not a spare set of headlights, and I can't drive my freshly lowered car until I'm done, so I'll be finishing this as soon as I can manage. I'm only working on the passenger side headlight first. Today I bought a 3-foot section of 1/4" threaded rod and hex nuts in Stainless Steel for mounting the housings together. . . and some fresh JB-Weld.

I plan on slotting the hole in the back of the housing to allow the back of the projector assembly to pass thru and still point straight.

Any suggestions are welcome, guys

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
    After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
    Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
    PM me and get it done right!

Work looks good, but to be honest, if I were you I would have sold the Integra lights for like 250, then use that money for TSX or S2000 projectors.
    wat?

Comment

Thanks. One of them had a badly broken housing from the accident that brought it to the junkyard. I wouldn't have torn them apart if they were good, it would just be wrong. My dad and brother both drive S2000s, and only since working on my lights have I realized how much smaller and easier one of the S2k's size would have been. This project will probably cost about $40 bucks. It should be quite good for what it is, and if things work out well, I'll feel better about working with expensive OEM HID setups.
      ...Like my Porsche Cayman D2S HID projectors with the solenoid-powered Hi/Lo cutoff shield

Comment

Worked a bit today on this, I think I got things pointing in the right direction.

I wish I had realized that removing so much plastic around the socket still wasn't going to free up the movement of the projector completely. The upper inside of the housing is very close to the projector body, I could grind it down some, but don't think I need to yet.
        Just don't like having to fill and seal any more than necessary.

As far as I can tell, the next step is to get the left headlight to this point, then test fit and re-aim everything before final tightening and sealing.

I don't know if plastic epoxy is okay to use here, so I plan on rebuilding and sealing the housing with standard JB-Weld, and using the 3M Windoweld urethane to seal up the glass.
        Any suggestions on materials or techniques here are welcome, I've read a couple retrofit threads in the past, and I feel like I'm doing a lot of improvising, which isn't really bad, but still.
        I got all stainless hardware so it couldn't rust, and I want to use some threadlocker or epoxy or something to lock the hardware in place, especially since I'm only using regular hex nuts and flat washers, guess I'll get some lockwashers too. And I was considering cutting silicone vacuum hose as spacers for the studs, inside and outside of the housing.

There are some small holes between the front and rear of the projector that I hope aren't necessary for heat ventilation or anything. Since I plan on sealing them up, so that I can just spray the black bbq paint on the reflector and projector assemblies and NOT use a shroud...is that dumb? Making a shroud of the proper dimensions seems difficult with the angles between the projector and reflector housings. Looking down from above, the outside edge of the projector is outside the housing , and the inside side of the projector is down inside the ref housing.
        I think I would like the look of the projector assembly being black but visible, but I don't want light to bleed out.

Should I flatten out the top of the JDM cutoff shield, or reverse it? or will that make things worse? I could flatten the high side and make an aluminum plate to mirror it on the other side to keep the proper height, I guess.

hmmmm...

Comment

seems like a clean job but if you dont mind i would like to say that it would be benefitial if you get yourself some sort of HIH projectors because I doubt you will get that much of a better output using these. Are you mainly going for looks?
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
            Thanks. One of them had a badly broken housing from the accident that brought it to the junkyard. I wouldn't have torn them apart if they were good, it would just be wrong. My dad and brother both drive S2000s, and only since working on my lights have I realized how much smaller and easier one of the S2k's size would have been. This project will probably cost about $40 bucks. It should be quite good for what it is, and if things work out well, I'll feel better about working with expensive OEM HID setups.
            ...Like my Porsche Cayman D2S HID projectors with the solenoid-powered Hi/Lo cutoff shield
            Please expalin to me this,

you said you realized how much smaller and easier one of the s2k sizes would have been, what exactly are you talking about? retrofitting s2k projectors would have been easier? are you sure you know what your talking about? have you ever seen a s2k projector out of the headlight? Your daddy and brother both driver s2ks? Nice, but the point is the size of the s2k projector is bigger then that integra type r projector, please get your facts straight before making assumptions on whats eaiser and whats not when you have not attempted this as yet, because retrofitting s2k would not be easier then thoes intregra projectors. Anyways good job on retrofitting either way good to see people doing their own instead of paying others, it has numerous advantages. Btw thoes integra halogen projectors are worthless though, I would have rather sold them like somone else stated earlyer even though you said that the housing was damaged they are still rare jdm lights and someone would have still picked them up,and easily you could have done yourself a tsx retro, with the cash, or like you said you spent $40bux? I bought 04 clear lense tsx projectors for $60bux in the past.... so its possible to find good deals and doing a nice retro, but thats just me I guess. but what do I know right......

1993 CB6 Coupe Seattle Silver YR-94M

Originally posted by Acclude
            4gens are win. It's in the bible somewhere.
            yeah its verse 10.6:1

Members Ride Thread
            1993 Accord Coupe- Summer ride
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=130064
            1995 Civic Coupe - Winter/DD
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...53#post2744953

Comment

I'm just testing my ability, like I think I already said, I've got a nice set of HID lights that I will go all out with OEM HID once I feel like I know enough to not ruin the expensive parts I bought. They may end up in another set for my CB, but will probably go in my S13 flip-ups or BB1 JDM lights.
              I can toss these out and do whatever I want if the quality is less than or equal to stock. I think projector lighting is better than reflector in light pattern at least, and I think projectors are better for the HID rebased "kits", as well since glare is reduced (though these suck compared to OEM HID, I know).
              I don't think either of the Integra lights was good, guys.

So wow 90, you are all upset about my ignorance, for lots of knowledge have some understanding. Thank you for correcting me, in your own way. I'm sorry if you did something really hard and felt like I was insulting you, er whatever
              Anyway, I didn't do an extreme close up or measurement, but it looked to me like the diameter of the lens is smaller on the S2000 than 3"...maybe I'm wrong there. I know one thing about the US Accord housing for sure...she won't take much more diameter than what I'm working with

This was originally just going to be a DIY blackhousing project, and now it's this, whatever it is, this accord obsession we all share

So I guess I'm not doing anything wrong other than wasting my time using crap parts? Ok sweet?

I'm pissed they quit making the red/clear tails for my ride, and want to put that subtle not-stock look and custom touch to the front end at least.
              Last edited by lucid; 05-14-2009, 10:01 PM.

Comment

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...urnPage=Search

Here are some nice pictures from the above link, of (US) Integra projectors with HID rebased 9006 kits. The results look far better than what the stock Accord reflectors would ever be capable of.

I'd be happy with that.

Comment

the cut off dnt look that bad id be happy wit it too

Comment

thats nice if you gonna used a hid kit but with halogens the only difference will be the reduce in glare due to you now having a cutoff.
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

Great job man Looking good, lets see some more pics

Comment

Cool, it's good to hear a little positive feedback. I wasn't trying to get too involved at first, and it's way too late to go back, I just don't want to regret doing things the way I am.

I'll be getting the other headlight caught up, tomorrow.

I think in order to get these things up to their potential, yeah, I'm going to have to say goodbye to halogens.
                        I remember seeing some measurement info on HIDplanet.com a long while ago comparing stock halogen filament placement to rebased HID bulbs' light center, and the 9000 series bulb were one of the best candidates for a conversion.
                        And after looking at HID conversion kits, it is apparent you can barely even get quality...at any price, so it won't be cheap on that end.
                        That's ok since I've got a little money to play with.

I found a seller on ebay with a 6000k 9006 conversion kit that is actually made by Philips.....it's $200 bucks, but I bet it is very nice for what it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

Originally posted by lucid View Post
                          Cool, it's good to hear a little positive feedback. I wasn't trying to get too involved at first, and it's way too late to go back, I just don't want to regret doing things the way I am.

I'll be getting the other headlight caught up, tomorrow.

I think in order to get these things up to their potential, yeah, I'm going to have to say goodbye to halogens.
                          I remember seeing some measurement info on HIDplanet.com a long while ago comparing stock halogen filament placement to rebased HID bulbs' light center, and the 9000 series bulb were one of the best candidates for a conversion.
                          And after looking at HID conversion kits, it is apparent you can barely even get quality...at any price, so it won't be cheap on that end.
                          That's ok since I've got a little money to play with.

I found a seller on ebay with a 6000k 9006 conversion kit that is actually made by Philips.....it's $200 bucks, but I bet it is very nice for what it is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/9006-...spagenameZWDVW
                          is that real? Ive never heard about philips making that kit. Do more research on it
                          1993 Accord LX - Sold
                          93 BMW 525it - SOLD

Comment

The halogen headlights we got are useless and you will get a lot more light output, brighter and wider with a cutoff; the only problem I see is that if the shield of the projector is opposite to the US ones (meaning throwing higher light on the left side and lower on the right) will bling oncoming drivers; so you will have to aim your lights really low or make the shield flat.

Just put your lights on the car without the headlight lens and aim them properly, then remove them and seal them.

Just put JB Weld on the nuts and the outside of the headlights after aiming them so they never come loose.

That kit is a fake Philips; because Philips doesn't make fake hid kits at all; you can get any other brand for under $100; but if I was you I will put these great 9006 bulbs used in tractors HIR that are way better and brighter than any 9006 bulbs.

Now retrofitting S2000 projectors is just slightly harder than any other projector because are a little bigger and you have to drill mounting holes but is possible and not as hard as the other member says.

US and almost any Accord headlights are 4 inches tall and you can trim the S2000 projectors to either 3 3/4 and or 3 1/2 if needed.

Comment

Ok. Hey, JSMexUsa, thanks for all the info, I feel like I'm on the right track...do you have a little more info on the "tractor" lights, and did you mean to type "HID"?

I only have maybe 2 millimeters gap top and bottom between the projector body and reflector housing. So the S2k has that much width? The actual lens looks a bit smaller (at least on the car) than that.

It looks like that Philips kit is at least made with real philips components. There is a website listed on the box in the picture.... www.philips.com/burner . It is a validation page for inputting a serial number to verify parts quality assured and manufactured by philips. Though it says they do not guarantee the quality of the finished product. I figure these pics won't even work in about a month or so, so I'm sorry if you're reading this thread from the future, but here is a picture of the ballasts too-

It's a convincing fake if so. I do notice that there are no [TM] or [R] marks after the name "PHILIPS" on the box and literature pictured.

Do you guys really think it's total bull? Seems like this guy wouldn't have been in business as long as he has if he were illegally selling things under the philips name, and why point people to to register on a legitimate philips website where philips would tell you you've been ripped off? I don't know.

I had a cheaper, no-name kit on my Prelude before I crushed a deer and my bulbs, I liked the HID system, but it was sub-par. Hi-lo shield solenoids (H4) wouldn't work right, and I had to return a bulb...then the new one's color didn't match the other.
                              I still have all the ballasts and wiring for that kit, so another option would be for me to use those parts just for the low beam operation, I'd have to buy two 9006 rebased HID bulbs for maybe $70/set and switch the H4 connectors with 9006 bulb connectors (is the kit wiring and plug beefier or different than stock?). Hmmm.

And do you guys use silica packets in the back of the headlight assembly to help combat moisture? I saw those listed for sale on a retrofitting site.

I'm going to go try to get some more progress done now if it doesn't rain on me. I'll take pics of how things are going too.

I want to get this done so I can get my CB back on the road!!!!! Sick of the auto 90 civic wagon I'm borrowing and it's 92 horsepower, there are hills around here, dammit! And people aren't supposed to be able to pass me against my will on the highway, but I am powerlesssss in that thing, haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X