Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

brake drum not fitting???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake drum not fitting???

so i replaced my brake shoes for my 92lx but now the drum wont fit back on

i need help figuring out the problem

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
    91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
    funds for swap:$000.00
    Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
    Traded with: Wed3k

Did you compress the wheel cylinder? Squeeze both shoes together as hard as you can, or if you have tiny fragile arms and wrists, take it all apart and compress the wheel cylinder with a c clamp. Reassemble the brakes and the drum should slip over the shoes now.

Part #10/11

Comment

youve got to tighten the shoes together becuase there is more meat on the new pads. #18 on that diagram must be adjusted with a flat head screwdriver
      Hold On Not Done Accelerating
      Had One Never Did Again

Comment

Are they Re-Lined shoes or New? Sometimes the relined ones come thicker than stock because they assume youv'e turned/cut the drums.

Comment

Originally posted by jas_r34 View Post
          youve got to tighten the shoes together becuase there is more meat on the new pads. #18 on that diagram must be adjusted with a flat head screwdriver
          OP, this is what you need to do. ^^^

I hate to be a postwhore, but I have to back up this suggestion. The self-adjuster inside the drum is currently adjusted for worn brake shoes to be in close contact with the drum. Since you have new brake shoes with a thicker lining, you need to adjust the self-adjusting gear so the shoes are pulled back towards the center.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Another issue you may find (or may not), is the edge of the drum's friction surface might have a lip that is making it hard to fit the drum over the shoe linings. Such lips are caused by the drum wearing in use, but having the inner edge of the friction surface 'unswept' by the shoe lining. If this problem exists then the drum needs machining to remove the lip (this usually a good idea in any case because it will also true up the drum, which are nearly always out of round to some degree).
            Last edited by johnl; 08-16-2009, 10:06 AM.
            Regards from Oz,
            John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
              Another issue you may find (or may not), is the edge of the drum's friction surface might have a lip that is making it hard to fit the drum over the shoe linings. Such lips are caused by the drum wearing in use, but having the inner edge of the friction surface 'unswept' by the shoe lining. If this problem exists then the drum needs machining to remove the lip (this usually a good idea in any case because it will also true up the drum, which are nearly always out of round to some degree).
              this was the main problem for the drum that wouldnt fit and also i couldnt find any clear diagrams pics vids ect. that i could compare to but i finally realized i had the big spring part# 8 was on backwards that and i made a tool to load the springs better

i took my dremel and ground out a semicircle notch in a flat head screwdriver which really helped

thanks for the help guys

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
              91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
              funds for swap:$000.00
              Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
              Traded with: Wed3k

Comment

Originally posted by jas_r34 View Post

what he said.

the self adjusting rear drum brake adjuster must be adjusted back. Or do like visualpoet suggests and press the shoes in hard. that might do the trick enough to get the drum back on.

Then once you have the whole thing together and the wheel is back on, all you do is make a number of forward and reverse stops to re-adjust the brakes.

If you're not sure the brake is adjusted right, put the rear wheel back up and try to spin it with your hands. it should turn with a slight resistance, like if you turned it as hard and fast as you can it will spin maybe half or a whole revolution but no more. of course you can compare with the opposite wheel, too.
                Last edited by batever; 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by megarock15 View Post
                  this was the main problem for the drum that wouldnt fit and also i couldnt find any clear diagrams pics vids ect. that i could compare to but i finally realized i had the big spring part# 8 was on backwards that and i made a tool to load the springs better

i took my dremel and ground out a semicircle notch in a flat head screwdriver which really helped

thanks for the help guys
                  glad you got it done.

it's a lot easier to deal with the drum brake self adjuster spring and the drum brakes in general if you pull the rear hub off. Clears a lot of space up and in general makes for easier access.

Comment

Working...
                  X