Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Spark plug gapping 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark plug gapping 101

First thing, I'm not an English major. In fact, English was my worst subject and I hate it with a passion. I cannot write/type in a manner where everything is organized properly and have it make sense. Most of my thoughts are random, so that is how I type. In short, get off my nuts if I used the wrong word/terminology to describe something. If you see something wrong, correct it and don't be a dickwad.

This post is to clear up, or inform, about spark plug gapping. It was inspired by a fellow member that's been asking me questions about what gap and plugs he should run.

People always ask what spark plug gap they should run. The real, and short answer is run as large as a gap as you can get away with without breaking up. This rule applies to every setup, regardless of how much power you're making.

You see, between the ground strap and electrode(the gap) there is nothing but air(gasses). These gasses act as an insulator until the spark plug exceeds it's dielectric strength. In laymens terms, the air in the gap will act as an insulator until the spark plug has enough energy to arc to the ground strap.

When break up occurs, that means that your ignition doesn't have the energy required to arc(or "jump") the gap. This is because the air in the gap has a higher "tolerance" of the energy. Upgrading your ignition system might help, but the cheapest and quickest way to get rid of ignition break up is by making that air gap smaller.

Now, if you have too small of a gap, you can have a weak spark. This is due to it not having enough time to build up enough heat when it arcs the gap. But the one advantage to a tighter gap is that it will ALWAYS fire.

For boosted setups, I start off with NGK 7 heat range plugs and gap them at .035" and adjust as needed. For NA, I start off with the factory gap(.044"). If you ever hit anything smaller than a .020" gap, it's time to go with a colder plug. Although, I've known of tuners using even tighter gaps with good results.

It takes trial and error, but you'll eventually get it right.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Do work..

Your ebonics are just fine j00...

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Jose can you add sparkplug selection and how to read plugs to that by any chance?

Wikked can you reduce the size of your sig please.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Thinking about it. But that gets REALLY involved and I don't think even 3 people on this board would actually care for it, or even put it to use.

We'll see. It's one of those things that you don't let just everyone know because it's what sets me apart from others.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
          Thinking about it. But that gets REALLY involved and I don't think even 3 people on this board would actually care for it, or even put it to use.

We'll see. It's one of those things that you don't let just everyone know because it's what sets me apart from others.
          It doesn't have to be detailed, just the basics like -
          How to read whats too hot, too cold, detonation, too rich, too lean?

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

there is a lot of information out on the Internet about that already. I recommend you search for it and begin trying some of the things you read about. I have pulled many many plugs and experimented trying different things. Like any skill it takes time and practice to get right.
            spin city

Comment

That member was me and I appreciate Jose's help. I will make this a sticky

SOLD!!
              Boosted H22
              375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

shit, i dont even read my gap, i just throw them in the car and fire it up.

maybe i should start doing that
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

For near stock cars, it really doesn't make much of a difference. I've found it that the higher your dynamic compression, the more important it is though.

Comment

Read about "side gapping" doesn't seem like it would do anything to me...but...
                    http://www.sr20-forum.com/naturally-...ark-plugs.html
                    his dyno showed results but...could be telling tales

On the reading thing...I've done a LOT of searching and I haven't really found all that great of info. Some decent stuff.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/plug_chart.html

they sure do list some bad looking plugs as "good"

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html
                    not bad

But I'm not a practiced plug reader.
                    Last edited by bcjammerx; 09-07-2009, 02:35 AM.
                    ____

Comment

For good spark plug reading knowledge, you will have to hang around boards that have engine management forums as that is where the tech goes down.

rhmt, ectune and pgmfi are all good places to start.

Comment

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
                        Read about "side gapping" doesn't seem like it would do anything to me...but...
                        http://www.sr20-forum.com/naturally-...ark-plugs.html
                        his dyno showed results but...could be telling tales

On the reading thing...I've done a LOT of searching and I haven't really found all that great of info. Some decent stuff.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/plug_chart.html

they sure do list some bad looking plugs as "good"

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Spark_plug_reading.html
                        not bad

But I'm not a practiced plug reader.
                        I don't agree with his plug reading page %100. In his first picture #4 is some shit, I have not heard about elsewhere or seen through my test.
                        He also says to read for wot fuel at the tip of the porcelain, I don't agree with this either.
                        He also uses some pretty shitty "example plugs". The guy didn't even attempt to clean them before making the diy! wtf?
                        spin city

Comment

Originally posted by dbsharp View Post
                          there is a lot of information out on the Internet about that already. I recommend you search for it and begin trying some of the things you read about. I have pulled many many plugs and experimented trying different things. Like any skill it takes time and practice to get right.
                          There's so much miss-information all over the web, its hard to find good legitimate info sometimes, as you just pointed out ^^

Originally posted by mozzandherb View Post
                          That member was me and I appreciate Jose's help. I will make this a sticky
                          Jose helped me out with plugs too, many PM's later and I was sorted. It was only after that that I realised - How, What, Why - to look for.

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                          For good spark plug reading knowledge, you will have to hang around boards that have engine management forums as that is where the tech goes down.

rhmt, ectune and pgmfi are all good places to start.

They are good sites for info.
                          I might have a dig around for some info/pictures and throw it in this thread when I get a chance.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Comment

I'll help with any discussion and clear up any misinformation. But I'm not going to put it all out there on my own. Too much work. I'd like to see some of you guys start thinking and participate in good tech discussions!

Comment

i wonder if side gapping would help a stock engine.
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X