EXT: Converting Stock Tails to Red Clear Tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Converting Stock Tails to Red Clear Tails

After evaluating my bored meter, I realized I needed something constructive and challenging to do. So, I decided to take apart my '92/'93 Red Clear tail lights, and only use the lenses. What I will accomplish is a complete change over on the stock '92/'93 sedan tails to using the housing and adding the after market clear lenses to them. The stock housing looks and sits much better IMO. I will also have the chance while reassembling the light to ensure that they will not leak for a very long time. I will do a thorough job as well as polish the spit out of them. Pics will follow as I will continue to update my progress.

Tools needed:

Various flat head screw drivers (at least 2 just in case)
    '92/'93 Red/Clear sedan taillights
    '92/'93 Stock sedan taillights
    Razor blade
    Oven (set @ ~225 degrees)
    Adhesive remover
    Clear Silicon or some other long lasting glue/adhesive
    Aluminum Foil
    10 mm socket (for removal/installation of taillights )
    Patience

Procedure:

1. Take off any parts that are removable/unscrewable from both set of lights.
    2. Preheat your oven to aprx. 200 degrees.
    3. Get two pieces of aluminum foil, one to align the top of the cookie sheet or the bottom of the stove, and the other to cover the lens part of the light while they get baked.
    4. When the lenses are covered, place them in the oven for about 10-20 minutes, depending on oven size (...DON'T OVER COOK THEM...I suggest do them one at a time).

5. Take the light out of the oven when cooked and pry the lens off. BE VERY, VERY CAREFUL, AND TAKE YOUR TIME. DON NOT RUSH, THEY CAN CRACK.

6. With the lenses separated, get all excess glue off using a razor blade and adhesive remover or some other means. This step is very important to ensure that a good seal will be obtainable when time to reassemble.

7. Clean lenses and housing thoroughly before attempting to reassemble lights. This is very important. Before adding new adhesive, do a mock up to ensure that all parts fit snug, securely, and have the proper fitment desired.

...MORE TO COME...
    Last edited by Straight Success; 01-11-2010, 07:11 AM.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

u can also do this with any altezza lense and DIY red clear them.
    the oem reflectors look better IMO as well
    frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Very true. With the OEM parts, it should look like it really belongs there. I got the third light in the oven as we speak.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Interesting.. Looking forward to see the progress of this, never thought of it

Euro CB7 2.2i [F22A3] --> [H22A7]

Comment

225 deg for 15 min right
          frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

My oven is on 375 and I left each one in for about 12 minutes. They're fine. I could of let them go for 15 minutes, because the glue wasn't all the way ooey gooey.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
              225 deg for 15 min right
              Lower heat and a longer time in the oven is safer.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
                Lower heat and a longer time in the oven is safer.
                Oh, OK. I'm finished now. I will go and make the correction. I have to go pick up some stock sedan tails from the yard tomorrow, so I'll update some more later.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

wish we can make the amber clear ahh
                  1992 Accord Cb7:

Comment

Got the OEM stock tails. Now it's time for the lens changeover. Should be done very soon. I'm going to take my time to make them look perfect.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I'm working on opening a set of OEM 92-93 tails, we broke both inner(trunk) tails trying to get them open using just a heatgun. Hopefully this oven method will work better but judging by the pictures, the ebay red/clears dont come with pre-sunbaked glue that's stiff as a brick. LOL

The outters are now blackhoused and it looks amazing. You should black out one of the ebay housings and see what the red/clear look like with it, if it's anything like the change the OEM style got from doing it, you'll love it!

Good luck with opening the OEM's, let us know the difference in opening the two, if being hardened from age really has an effect on it or if using a heatgun is just a stupid idea..

Comment

Originally posted by RacH22 View Post
                        I'm working on opening a set of OEM 92-93 tails, we broke both inner(trunk) tails trying to get them open using just a heatgun. Hopefully this oven method will work better but judging by the pictures, the ebay red/clears dont come with pre-sunbaked glue that's stiff as a brick. LOL

The outters are now blackhoused and it looks amazing. You should black out one of the ebay housings and see what the red/clear look like with it, if it's anything like the change the OEM style got from doing it, you'll love it!

Good luck with opening the OEM's, let us know the difference in opening the two, if being hardened from age really has an effect on it or if using a heatgun is just a stupid idea..
                        Will do.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Hey friend. I don't think I spoke 2 you at the meet yesterday. I didn't kno who you were.

I was quiet the whole time, I sat on the grass.

I'm itchin to see the end result. Diy ftw Mofo's!
                          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
                          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
                          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

we still waiting on updates and pics

Comment

Haven't had time to finish yet. This will be my over the holiday project. I have one more serious test to study for, so...

I will have these finished no later than next Saturday. The oven will be in use for the holiday. Remeber, no rushing.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                              X