Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mock up is now here!

UPDATED!

EDIT: I still have to do final cleaning, then I will seal them up with high temp clear silicon. After that it will be on to polish these up, and they will sit like they are new (which they kinda' are) until they either get sold or I throw them on the car. "Stanley housed red/clear tails!" Woo Hoo!
    Last edited by Straight Success; 11-20-2009, 10:22 PM.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by RacH22 View Post
      I'm working on opening a set of OEM 92-93 tails, we broke both inner(trunk) tails trying to get them open using just a heatgun. Hopefully this oven method will work better but judging by the pictures, the ebay red/clears dont come with pre-sunbaked glue that's stiff as a brick. LOL

The outters are now blackhoused and it looks amazing. You should black out one of the ebay housings and see what the red/clear look like with it, if it's anything like the change the OEM style got from doing it, you'll love it!

Good luck with opening the OEM's, let us know the difference in opening the two, if being hardened from age really has an effect on it or if using a heatgun is just a stupid idea..
      You can use a heat gun. You just have to take your time and be gentle. The oven seems to work better to me though. You soften ALL of the glue at the same time doing it that way. I put them in there for like 10 minutes, take them out and pry on it a little bit, and then put them back in for maybe 5 minutes at a time while prying in between. Then again i'm poor and can't afford to replace them so I was being anal about going slow lol. Either way mine didn't ever crack or chip so I was happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandoncb7 View Post
        You can use a heat gun. You just have to take your time and be gentle. The oven seems to work better to me though. You soften ALL of the glue at the same time doing it that way. I put them in there for like 10 minutes, take them out and pry on it a little bit, and then put them back in for maybe 5 minutes at a time while prying in between. Then again i'm poor and can't afford to replace them so I was being anal about going slow lol. Either way mine didn't ever crack or chip so I was happy.
        Mine were a pain in the asss to get apart! Even with the glue soft the inside glue was harder than the glue along the edges. I kept putting it back in the oven, which kind of worked. Then I left one in too long and it melted

Comment

lol sorry raf99 i have to laugh at your frustration ^__^ sounds like your oems were sealed up pretty good. sux but u win some u loose some.
          frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            Mine were a pain in the asss to get apart! Even with the glue soft the inside glue was harder than the glue along the edges. I kept putting it back in the oven, which kind of worked. Then I left one in too long and it melted
            lol ouch

Comment

Originally posted by lindiz View Post
              Interesting.. Looking forward to see the progress of this, never thought of it
              you! make a link to a MR thread i like your car and i want more pics!!!

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
              And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
              Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

Ya, my bad. I should of used a razor blade too. Hope everyone else has better luck than I did.

Comment

Ya, my bad. I should of used a razor blade too. Hope everyone else has better luck than I did.
                  A razor for what? I used my flat heads to scrape all the original excess glue out. All I have to do now is seal them up with some clear silicon (I hope that provides a good seal).

- D. Chappelle

Comment

How easy did the OEM set you had come apart? The ones we broke are the inner tails mounted to the trunk, any troubles/tips with these??

I've been considering buying two complete sets and cutting the housing from one and the lens from the other and then merging the two, I'm just really concerned with breaking another set of inners.. Thanks in advance.

Comment

the solution to that problem would be lower heat, for a longer time.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                        A razor for what? I used my flat heads to scrape all the original excess glue out. All I have to do now is seal them up with some clear silicon (I hope that provides a good seal).
                        I personally use Butyl tape. I have a hook up at Nissan so I use theirs but its is just a sealant used for headlights, taillights, windows etc. The stuff is 100x better then silicone and I trust it with anything. Do it right the first time and be done with it forever. You can buy it Nissan's parts counter (pricey) or many auto parts stores. Ive seen a five foot roll for 10 bucks or so. That should do maybe 12 sets of headlights or 8 tails.

Comment

Originally posted by RacH22 View Post
                          How easy did the OEM set you had come apart? The ones we broke are the inner tails mounted to the trunk, any troubles/tips with these??

I've been considering buying two complete sets and cutting the housing from one and the lens from the other and then merging the two, I'm just really concerned with breaking another set of inners.. Thanks in advance.
                          Not too easy, but not too hard either.

You have to be careful because the stock lenses with the amber will be fragile from old age. I got tired of being gentle with the stock lenses, so I just cracked them after the oven (they were already cracked and scratched up, so...). I just made sure I didn't damage the housing at all. I preserved the housing very well, that's all I really wanted anyway.

I only using the OEM housing and the after market lenses.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                            the solution to that problem would be lower heat, for a longer time.
                            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                              Not too easy, but not too hard either.

You have to be careful because the stock lenses with the amber will be fragile from old age. I got tired of being gentle with the stock lenses, so I just cracked them after the oven (they were already cracked and scratched up, so...). I just made sure I didn't damage the housing at all. I preserved the housing very well, that's all I really wanted anyway.

I only using the OEM housing and the after market lenses.

Kinda figured they'd be a bitch no matter what, I've opened aftermarket headlights and I knew they came apart way easier and cleaner than the oem, I guess age really takes its toll on the glue and the plastic..

I'm stuck in the water for a while so i'll have time to make up my mind on what to do..

It's lookin like I should just buy two sets and cut the opposite from each to ensure I don't destroy more than I need to.. I could keep trying to open them with heat but I could very well end up breaking them and kicking myself for not just cutting up two sets to make one good one.

Back to the OP; making your own "notshoddyebay" red/clears!

Comment

Nice DIY. I am going to have to try this, because I don't like the way the red clears fit.
                                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                                X