CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > DIYs > Exterior DIYs

Old 03-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

91hondaaccordlx is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to 91hondaaccordlx
EXT: DIY custom eye lids

so i got this bright idea about some custom eye lids, there are other threads about using gts eye shades but i used this method and it turned out well i think. so here's a diy post on how to do custom eye lids.

items needed:
engine enamal, i used black, but you could use any color you want.
painters tape, masking or drywall will work.
windex, and towel. rubbing alcohol works too
some paper.
and a hair dryer, or low heat heat gun may work.

1.first clean your lights well with some windex or rubbing alcohol, make sure there very clean and free of any stuck particals, as it will show thru the paint.

2. using some masking tape, follow the line in the head light, that flows with the grill. its about an inch from the top of the light housing. pic below has dot's where the line is to tape. get it as straight as possible and make sure there are no gaps for paint to seep under the tape.

2. tape the top of the housing. follow the dots in the pic.

3. it should look similar to this. make sure to the only the little piece of lip on the top of the housing, that is vertical to the car, not on the actual light housing.

4. put paper under the tape, like so.. and get some tape and paper on the sides, enough to cover from overs spray. get the inner light tape just to the edge of the lense.

5. then take your paint, the color of your choice, mine is black. and do a few lights coats of paint, light so it doesnt run, apply heat to cure it faster, and do a few good coats to get it tickness you want, mine is a few light coats then two heavier coats.

6. use hair dryer to dry the paint faster, i used it on the for about 3-5 minutes, then it wasnt sticky. i let it sit for about 5 minutes. after i let it sit, i gently peeled back the tape to reveal the finished look, below...

7. i didnt get a clear coat on them but i do suggest you do a clear coat, before you peel the tape off, that way your only clear coating the paint and not the whole head light. i didnt primer my lights first, although you could if you feel its nessisary.

i also did my corners using the same line in the lense, it runs right even with the top oof the oragne marker in the 91 lights. here is a final pic of my front end, with corners to match.

passenger side:

drivers side:

let em know what you guys think. comments more than welcome. this is my forst diy thread, hope people enjoy it.

clink this link to post pics of your cb7 with the diy custom eye lids if you choose to do it my way.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...64#post2464664
91hondaaccordlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
short1
CB7tuner Member

short1 is cool... so far.
I like....People were saying its gonna chip off, I'm wondering how it would hold up painting the inside of the lens, with fading and such?
later
short1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

it may or may not chip, not sure, i dont have a clear coat on mine at the moment, but i honestly dont think it would chip with a good thinck coat of clear. plus my paint is pretty thick too and its not runny at all, i just did light coats at first then heavier ones at the end.

i dont knoow about the inside lense part? you could try it and if it works, do a diy.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
jova1993cb
CB7tuner Member

jova1993cb is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to jova1993cb Send a message via Yahoo to jova1993cb
I like this. this will be my next project good write up bro

she is down....but definately not out
jova1993cb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
MikeW
Master Of Posting Nothing

MikeW has a HUGE cock! MikeW has a HUGE cock! MikeW has a HUGE cock! MikeW has a HUGE cock! MikeW has a HUGE cock!
Send a message via Yahoo to MikeW
Good job and for the effort, but why didnt you take the lights off the car? Wouldn't have to worry about overspray on your car.

I know the nipples make it hard to do anything else, but i just hate the fact that after cutting up aftermarket covers, paint is the only other option.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | . ` ' / . | click here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:38 AM   #6
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

thanks jova.. good luck and post some pics of it if you can, it was my fitst write up, hopefully more to come.....

as for taking off the lights completely, thats alot more work than doing the lights them selves. it only takes a few minutes to tape them up. and i didnt get much overspray anyhow. its a pretty easy project. im getting clear coar for mine this weekend, so far i have no rock chips and the paint is staying very well..

bump if viewd thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #7
Ander
CB7tuner Member

Ander is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Ander Send a message via MSN to Ander
Wow, I'm surprised at how good they look.

Member's Ride Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercyboy View Post
I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!
Ander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #8
evil_demon_01

evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
I did this to my old CB a few years ago, Enamel paint holds up pretty well, even after waterblasting.
They lasted about 1 year before it started to come off them, of which I just removed the rest with a razor blade and redid it.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #9
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ander View Post
Wow, I'm surprised at how good they look.
thanks, ya it enigine enamal 500 degree resistance. but i have no clear coat, so that may help alot more.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
I did this to my old CB a few years ago, Enamel paint holds up pretty well, even after waterblasting.
They lasted about 1 year before it started to come off them, of which I just removed the rest with a razor blade and redid it.

ya, did you clear coat them when you did it? mine arent clear coated yet, but a yr is a pretty long time to not ***e, enamal paint for engines is what i used, its pretty thick on there.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #11
[sLow]CB
Contributing Member

[sLow]CB is cool... so far.
nice write up and diy. i was thinking about doing this. but ended up getting some headlight covers and cutting them up. looks nicer i think and can remove whenever i get tired of them. (check out my mrt). but great write up.
[sLow]CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #12
evil_demon_01

evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91hondaaccordlx View Post
ya, did you clear coat them when you did it? mine arent clear coated yet, but a yr is a pretty long time to not ***e, enamal paint for engines is what i used, its pretty thick on there.
I diddn't use any clear coat, and only did 2 light coats of paint.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
dakiid
CB7tuner Member

dakiid is cool... so far.
looks good if you can, can you take a pic of te front from a few feet away so I can see the how it looks with the rest of the front end.
thanks
dakiid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #14
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

Thumbs up

slowcb: ya i seen that, they look go too. i chose this way cuz its a little cheaper price wise, and somewhat faster, i think, i may be wrong...

eveldemaon: i did alot more than two light coats, mine are thick and no runs so they look clean. i think they turned out great, but ya definatly do more than two light coats, do like 4 or 5 light coats

dakid: for sure, its been really nice out here, tomorrow ill get some good pics of my front end. on my car it looks good since my whole front end is black, my bumper grille lip and hood. some people may not like it but i sure do

thanks for all the replies
Old 03-19-2010, 01:53 AM   #15
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

here is one thats a close up but my hood is down..
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #16
evil_demon_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91hondaaccordlx View Post
evil_demon: i did alot more than two light coats, mine are thick and no runs so they look clean. i think they turned out great, but ya definatly do more than two light coats, do like 4 or 5 light coats
The thicker the paint is, the more prone it is to chip . . . hence 2 lights coats.

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

Old 03-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #17
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
The thicker the paint is, the more prone it is to chip . . . hence 2 lights coats.
yes true. but two light coats wont stay as long, hence the clear coat needed to be put on, so far mine are looking exactly the same as when i did it.
enama paint is alot differant than just spray paint too
Old 03-19-2010, 05:03 PM   #18
91hondaaccordlx
CB7tuner Member

here are some front end pics of the diy eye lids, its super sunny out today and im sorry the pics kinda suck but my camera isnt the best..

hope these help anyone with possible looks
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
cb7inct
CB7tuner Member

cb7inct is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to cb7inct Send a message via Yahoo to cb7inct
i did this a few years ago.. but i arched mine a little more.. heres the pics... and mine lasted 2 1/2 years after i sold the car... i put 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of clear... but the pics im showing you dont have the clear on them yet...

nice work tho
cb7inct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #20
dakiid
CB7tuner Member

dakiid is cool... so far.
Thanks for adding the pics so I can see how it looks. It flows well and looks great. Cant wait to try this. I just need some clear coat.
dakiid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: