Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: Make your OEM foglights work independent of headlights (Wiring diagram!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Make your OEM foglights work independent of headlights (Wiring diagram!)

Ok, I know a lot of people are looking to make their OEM fogs with the OEM A B and C harness independent of the headlights. It is actually very easy.

You will need...
    A blade
    Wire cutters
    Wire strippers
    A screwdriver or 10mm socket
    Electrical tape

Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for your messups, you getting in trouble with the law, ect.

This is a diagram that I made:

Basically, when the headlights are on, the blue/red on the coil side of the 4 pin relay is grounded, allowing the relay to close and the foglights to turn on. When the headlights are switched off the ground is opened, discharging the coil of the relay and turning the fogs off.

All you need to do is cut the blue/red wire that goes to the underhood fusebox and ground it, making this diagram.

The wire can be cut anywhere within about 6 inches of the A to C harness plug or anywhere in the C harness. Why only within 6 inches? Well, because there is a splice in the A harness that controls the light on the switch. If you cut before it, the indicator on the switch won't light up.

Now cut open the loom where ever you decide and look at the wires:

*WARNING!* The A and C harnesses have 2 blue/red wires in them.

To find the correct wire with the loom open just pull on one of the blue/red wires. If you see the 1 pin brown connector for the A to C harness move when you tug that wire, its NOT the correct wire to cut. The blue/red 1 pin connector is the output to the foglights themselves.

Cut the correct wire and strip off the end of the the wire that's closest to the relays in the A harness. Tape off the other side of the wire that goes to the fusebox.

Now find a nut, bolt, screw, ect. that goes into the body close to the end of the wire you just cut and stripped.

Attach the wire between your chosen fastener and the body and tighten it down.

(Camera battery died sorry!)

Now hit the foglight button and they should turn on!

If they don't, make sure you cut the correct wire. If they still don't work, check your body ground and make sure its good.

The only problem now is that anytime the button is pressed even with the key out, the fogs will be on. The easiest solution is changing the source wire.

Look at the underdash fusebox. See the 1 pin connector near the top with the large white wire coming out of it? Unplug that and move it to the plug a on the far left of the fuse box thats a little higher than the others. Now the fogs will only come on when the ignition is in the Acc or run positions.

Also, If you only want the fogs to turn on with your parking lights, you can unplug the Red/black wire and plug the white into that spot. The only problem is it puts more stress on the parking light circuit and makes them a little less bright. If you really only want them to turn on with the parking lights, I recommend you make a relay setup using the +12 w/ parking lights for the coil, and using the far right +12v constant as your switched source.

Enjoy!

Last edited by EJX_Michael; 03-21-2011, 10:14 PM.

Awesome write up.......
    I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
    Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My coupe!!!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
    Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

ya man really cool, thanks.

i think fogs shouldve came that way wired up from the factory.
      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

WHITEONWHITE

Comment

thats fcukin awsome

Purchased from: 90-JDMCB7, cb95spd, 92_dr_p, ukaccord92, slammed4thgen, 93a-lude, h22anow, cb7addicted, H22WAGON93, tonymontana1204, agol, Joshy

Sold to: di2accord

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
              ya man really cool, thanks.

i think fogs shouldve came that way wired up from the factory.
              They dont because they are too low for other people to see and they dont provide enough light ( any fog lights ) to drive around with. So they dont want people to be able to drive around like that because it might be unsafe if theyre an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
                They dont because they are too low for other people to see and they dont provide enough light ( any fog lights ) to drive around with. So they dont want people to be able to drive around like that because it might be unsafe if theyre an idiot.
                True that. The sad thing is I've driven in cars that have less light output from their headlights than what my fogs alone put out.

I figured something else out though... DO NOT use the plug on the other side of the red/black wire. Use the one thats all the way on the left side of the fuse box thats a little higher than the others. The one I said to use is tied into the A/C system some how. I noticed one day that my fogs weren't working so I checked the fuses out. The A/C 7.5A in the fuse box was blown So I replaced it and It blew again when my A/C and fogs were on at the same time.

So Definitely Use the plug that's all the way on the left side of the fuse box thats a little higher than the others.

Comment

Added pics for the visual DIYers.

Comment

back to life because im gonna try to do this tomorrow first thing!!

Comment

I have an aftermarket harness because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a factory one. But which wires on the back of the switch should I splice into for this? One of them will get constant power (directly from the battery to provide more power than from the fusebox) then one of them outputs to the foglights, and one goes to ground. No idea which ones though.

Comment

Neat and simple. Awesomeeeee

Comment

I got to thank EJX_Michael for this simple yet awesome DIY.
                          i did just now and im so happy. now i can get my front end ready!

thanks dude!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                            I have an aftermarket harness because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a factory one. But which wires on the back of the switch should I splice into for this? One of them will get constant power (directly from the battery to provide more power than from the fusebox) then one of them outputs to the foglights, and one goes to ground. No idea which ones though.
                            Im not really sure man. I do know that you will need to use a relay as the switch most likely wont be able to handle that current.

Originally posted by Chicano2005 View Post
                            I got to thank EJX_Michael for this simple yet awesome DIY.
                            i did just now and im so happy. now i can get my front end ready!

thanks dude!!
                            No prob bro, glad you got it working.

Comment

Holy cow Mike.

Really nice write-up.

I love how you stressed which wire not to cut lol.

Wish i had my old fogs to do this too...this is ridiculously simple.

Comment

Working...
                              X