Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo'd Daily Driver?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo'd Daily Driver?

Would it be smart to put a turbo in my 93, even if it is my daily driver?
    My Baby "CLEO", Slowly Making Her Mine

Really, that depends on how you drive or how much you want to spend on gas. If you're not a super agressive driver and your turbo only boosts hp at WOT then you could get the same gas milage. If not it may not be the best idea.

It's your car and your money.

Comment

There are far too many factors involved to be able to answer this accurately.

Personally, would I put a turbo on a 20 year old car if it was the only car I had (and I needed it to get to work/school/etc...)? No.

Comment

When it comes to a project idea like this, the way it works 99% of the time is:

Choose two of the following three options:
        - Cheap
        - Fast
        - Reliable

In your case, you want reliable because it will be your daily. I am also assuming that you are thinking about turbo because you want fast. That, therefore, means that it won't be cheap.

Comment

I have a friend that DD's his 11 second LS/V turbo EF Civic. He's been driving it for about 5 years now with same tune, and goes to the track on Friday's. What I'm getting at is it's possible, just do your researh, and do it right.
          '93 LX Wagon (On the back burner)
          '92 EX Wagon (Traded)
          '93 EX Wagon (Current DD)

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBucket View Post
            When it comes to a project idea like this, the way it works 99% of the time is:

Choose two of the following three options:
            - Cheap
            - Fast
            - Reliable

In your case, you want reliable because it will be your daily. I am also assuming that you are thinking about turbo because you want fast. That, therefore, means that it won't be cheap.
            ^^this. And even if it is expensive, there are so many other things that can go wrong leaving you without a car...like Deev said, if you need it to get back and forth, be prepared to walk, bus or taxi, unless you have another vehicle

SOLD!!
            Boosted H22
            375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

like everyone else stated above. if its your only car, use the money that your gonna use to boost the CB to buy a car that comes boosted from the factory. that way you have reliability on your side as well as a factory/dealer guarantee.

then if you have extra money then boost the CB. but until you get another DD, dont attempt to DD the CB if its your ONLY means of transportation. your adding boost and more stress to a 18-20yr old motor thats only meant to push 140-145hp max. and if your doing it yourself and not a qualified mechanic that does stuff like that on a regular basis, then your bound to have your car sitting on the sidelines for days...

Comment

Originally posted by JFLEMING95 View Post
                Would it be smart to put a turbo in my 93, even if it is my daily driver?
                Would it be smart? Depending on how you look at it. From a financial point of view, it would not be smart because you will invest 2,000-3,000 for a basic setup and get absolutely nothing from your investment.

If you want to do it, I personally don't see anything wrong with putting a turbo kit on it and driving it daily. The only problem is that if you half-ass ANY single piece of your turbo install, then the chances of something going wrong are very high.

In any case, you WILL need some sort of backup transportation. Main reason being that it will probably take you more than a day to install and tune your turbo setup. Hell it takes some people as long as a whole month - when it is your first turbo install and you have a full time job and other shit going on.

Comment

The key is to know what you're doing before you even touch your car. Anyone that has any level of success with turbo has done their research. You can cut corners to a certain extent, but you'll need to know which corners you can cut.

I've even seen some of the most well-built, well-maintained turbo motors fail for something completely unexpected. One small mistake, one flaw in craftsmanship, one brief lack of attention when the boost gauge skyrockets (but the driver is too busy trying to race the corvette next to him that he doesn't notice...) No matter what you do, introducing a turbo is greatly increasing the risk of something blowing up.

My advice would be to do one of 3 things:
                  1) buy a beater to drive while your CB is being worked on, or if/when the cb's engine blows.
                  2) buy another engine for the cb, and be prepared to drop it in right away if/when the turbo one blows. If you keep swapping engines and rebuilding blown ones, you'll have minimal downtime... as long as you can install an engine quickly. We have guys that can do it in 5-6 hours on here.
                  3) Be sure you can walk, bike, skateboard, etc... to wherever you need to be, at any time of year (work, school, etc...)

Comment

To the OP..

You have asked a very common question on your post, and you've got a lot of respectful and very true responses. We aren't here to push you away from your project or goal in your cb7, you asked a good question they're just being honest and gave you their best opinion. In other words, in the end its still your car, even though I 110% agree with everyone else's statement saying its not a good idea if that's the only car you have. If you look into the factors , theres no such thing as a perfect car or reliable turbo setup, something or anything always goes wrong.

I don't want to be one of those members that just reply with a similar answer to your question already given. So all I have to say is this, your DD turbo cb7 is going.to be a project car no matter what you have to think twice.

1, is there any other ways to put out the same HP as a turbo cb7?

2, do you really want a fast cb7 or just the fact that its boosted?

Sometimes if not all the time boosting may not satisfy you in performance once you experience turbo, youe going to always wanna go big! Which sums out more and.more money and your cb7 at the shop and more delays on.your transportation to work , school e.t.c.

Theres plenty of options out there for fast & reliable as well as a challenge in building , engine swaps and maybe nitrous?

Hopefully I helped a little.
                    Last edited by turboAccordHSF; 07-15-2011, 03:27 PM.

Originally posted by deevergote
                    .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      The key is to know what you're doing before you even touch your car. Anyone that has any level of success with turbo has done their research. You can cut corners to a certain extent, but you'll need to know which corners you can cut.

I've even seen some of the most well-built, well-maintained turbo motors fail for something completely unexpected. One small mistake, one flaw in craftsmanship, one brief lack of attention when the boost gauge skyrockets (but the driver is too busy trying to race the corvette next to him that he doesn't notice...) No matter what you do, introducing a turbo is greatly increasing the risk of something blowing up.

My advice would be to do one of 3 things:
                      1) buy a beater to drive while your CB is being worked on, or if/when the cb's engine blows.
                      2) buy another engine for the cb, and be prepared to drop it in right away if/when the turbo one blows. If you keep swapping engines and rebuilding blown ones, you'll have minimal downtime... as long as you can install an engine quickly. We have guys that can do it in 5-6 hours on here.
                      3) Be sure you can walk, bike, skateboard, etc... to wherever you need to be, at any time of year (work, school, etc...)
                      I was going to get someone else to do it, but i honestly dont know much about cars thats why i didnt think it was a smart idea. Any other suggestions to make the car a bit faster??

since the turbo aint a smart idea...any other suggestions to make it faster?? oh and whats a good battery fr the car if i have 2 15'' kickers with a 2500 watt amp?
                      Last edited by JoshM; 07-15-2011, 04:40 PM. Reason: merged double post

Comment

Originally posted by JFLEMING95 View Post
                        I was going to get someone else to do it, but i honestly dont know much about cars thats why i didnt think it was a smart idea. Any other suggestions to make the car a bit faster??

since the turbo aint a smart idea...any other suggestions to make it faster?? oh and whats a good battery fr the car if i have 2 15'' kickers with a 2500 watt amp?
                        A hit for you and a hit for the car, laughing gas can take you there. Intake / Head / Exhaust... open up all three.

Optima Gel Battery's are your friend, and if those are too pricy, Interstate makes good lead acid battery's.
                        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Hey thanks everybody for your input, itt was just the sound of the turbo that gave me a rush so i wanted. But in the end i just want a fast CB. @cloudasc thanks mann really halped! I see your in the Houston area too you might have to help me and my cousin (91 accord) out sometime. IF ANYONE HAS ANY OTHER TIPS ON HOW TO MAKE MY CAR HAVE AN EXTRA KICK FEEL FREE TO POST IM ALWAYS OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!!! Thanks

Comment

The majority of this site is dedicated to giving your car that extra "kick". My suggestion is that you do a bit of reading.

Since we've resorted to asking about audio stuff, and we've pretty much finished with the initial topic, I'm going to assume we're done with this thread.

Comment

Working...
                            X