ENG: Clean Fuel Injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Clean Fuel Injectors

Make sure you do this when the engine is cold, about 2-3 hours after the last drive is fine.
    First off, make sure you buy a full set of top and bottom injector O-Rings, whenever you remove the injectors the rings will crack and leak fuel everywhere. They run about $25 at Kragen, also get a fuel injector cleaner fluid and carb cleaner.

1. With the gas at or below 1/8th of a tank pour in the full bottle of injector cleaner.
    2. Drive until the Light comes on
    3. Fill-up tank
    4. Drive until the light comes on again.
    5. Park
    6. once the engine cools down open up and remove the gas tank cap
    7. Locate the fuel system fuse and remove it along with the negative side of the battery terminals
    8. Clamp the fuel line that goes into the Fuel-pressure regulator to make sure no remaining gas leaks out
    9. Remove the vacuum line that goes to the FPR (make sure you don't break this as the lines are older than Jesus, if you do i make vacuum line kits ;])
    10. Pull off the square C-clips that are on the injectors that hold the wires that go from the plastic rail
    11. pull off wires and set the rail aside
    12. The FPR needs a 10mm socket to remove the nuts, make sure you don't lose the tiny o-ring that's in it
    13. The return-line on the left side of the rail needs a 17mm socket
    14. set the return-line aside
    15. with the 10mm socket take off the three nuts that hold the fuel rail to the Intake Manifold and carefully pull it out making sure the injectors don't come off with it and set it aside
    16. pull off the injectors and set on a lint free micofiber cloth and make sure you do not hit or drop the injectors on anything
    17. now spray carb cleaner on another cloth and carefully wipe the ends of the injectors that go into the intake manifold to take off any carbon build-up
    18. carefully clean up any gas that might have spilled onto the bay with a rag soaked in water. do not let water into the injector ports if you like your car.
    19. replace the o-rings on the injectors and slowly sit them back in.
    20. go about the installation the reverse from this point on.

if you spilled gas please clean it all up. remember that your engine bay is a living gaggle fuck of wires carrying an electric current and the tiniest spark will set off any fumes along with everything else in the bay. unless you know. you got some bomb insurance but i didnt say that

imma upload pictures and torque specs for the FPR and return line tomorrow morning
    Last edited by lordoja; 02-10-2012, 07:18 PM.
    Originally posted by scudweiser
    it will go vrooooooom bauggggghhhh mmmmmmaauuugggg. Still no mmmmmbAAAAAAAUUUHHHHHHH though.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?

You will be amazed of the gunk. Personally Id also run some fuel cleaner for that tank, something concentrated like redline sl1, chevron, or gumout REGane. Also maybe clean out the throttle body

I also usually get some sea foam or amsoil power foram and spray it directly where the fuel injector sits into the cylinders. I know I wont get into all of the cylinders cause one valve or so is usually closed, but you can get it to sit on top of the valves and pistons and it will eat away at some of the carbon.

I spray it in there for maybe 2 seconds and let it sit for an hour while im doing everything else. Sometimes I spray more after a few minutes. The reason I let it dry a little because it helps with starting and possible locking up the motor if you spray to much.

It will take some time to start, cranking for a good 15 seconds. Then quite a bit of smoke will come out the exhaust.

Since you used a bunch of cleaners, Id change the oil soon as well to once you kill the whole gas tank with the cleaner in it.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
      You will be amazed of the gunk. Personally Id also run some fuel cleaner for that tank, something concentrated like redline sl1, chevron, or gumout REGane. Also maybe clean out the throttle body

I also usually get some sea foam or amsoil power foram and spray it directly where the fuel injector sits into the cylinders. I know I wont get into all of the cylinders cause one valve or so is usually closed, but you can get it to sit on top of the valves and pistons and it will eat away at some of the carbon.

I spray it in there for maybe 2 seconds and let it sit for an hour while im doing everything else. Sometimes I spray more after a few minutes. The reason I let it dry a little because it helps with starting and possible locking up the motor if you spray to much.

It will take some time to start, cranking for a good 15 seconds. Then quite a bit of smoke will come out the exhaust.

Since you used a bunch of cleaners, Id change the oil soon as well to once you kill the whole gas tank with the cleaner in it.
      all this is true lol, i wrote this to accompany Nurega's Maintenance thread though but thanks for saving my lazy ass to write all that extra stuff lol
      it will go vrooooooom bauggggghhhh mmmmmmaauuugggg. Still no mmmmmbAAAAAAAUUUHHHHHHH though.
      Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?

Comment

Lordoja, can we get a few pictures?

I have a misfire issue and have been constantly and incessantly researching, checking connections and hoses and replacing parts.

Today I found something interesting. While idling after warmed up (doesnt miss when cold) I can unplug injector number 3 with no difference whatsoever. Unplugging the other injectors causes it to bog down and almost die.

I have ran all different kinds of additives thru it over the last month... In your experience, would removing the injector(s) and physically cleaning them solve my issue or is the injector likely dead? I am going to do injector o-rings today and see if it helps.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've been working on this issue for a long time now...
        '91 EX 280,000 || '90 LX 330,000
        _____(me)__________(wife)___

Comment

Originally posted by BurninCB7 View Post
          Lordoja, can we get a few pictures?

I have a misfire issue and have been constantly and incessantly researching, checking connections and hoses and replacing parts.

Today I found something interesting. While idling after warmed up (doesnt miss when cold) I can unplug injector number 3 with no difference whatsoever. Unplugging the other injectors causes it to bog down and almost die.

I have ran all different kinds of additives thru it over the last month... In your experience, would removing the injector(s) and physically cleaning them solve my issue or is the injector likely dead? I am going to do injector o-rings today and see if it helps.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I've been working on this issue for a long time now...
          i been having some trouble with uploading pics lately, but as soon as i resolve this imma have them up

if you've ran all kinds of chemicals through it and its not working it could be one of two things.
          It could be completely shot, or something electrical.
          Im leaning more towards the electrical side of things through, have you checked the ECU for codes? also what about the injector plug for the resistance and wattage?

Comment

Ill be doing this prob like tomorrow ... Changing the filter as well.

I would guess to the guy that is having a dead injector, to move one of the (confirmed) workking injectors over to the one you think is dead and if it works well then there you go. and if it doesnt its prob the resister box thingy. GL

Comment

Working...
            X