Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: Extending Legend Sedan Lip (Gap solution)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Extending Legend Sedan Lip (Gap solution)

The Legend sedan lip fits the CB7 bumper with a one inch gap on either side. Since 1+1=2, I came up with this.

Tools:
    10mm & 12mm sockets and ratchet
    12mm wrench
    Screwdriver
    Drill
    Heat gun(optional)
    Hacksaw or other plastic cutting instrument

Materials:
    Legend sedan lip
    4 x 1.5inch hex bolts
    6 X 1 inch hex bolts
    1" plastic pipe
    scissors and material of your choice
    Locktite or other outdoor adhesive
    Black spray paint (optional)
    At least 1 square foot of flexible rubber or plastic

Method:

First, I set up my lip on a professional work bench

I then proceeded to cut the lip right down the middle (this maybe hard for those in an area where these are hard to find) I got mine for $12 and I'm ok with the stock lip, so I didn't mind.

Cut it right down the middle of the clip, like so:

This one inch plastic pipe from Home Depot is a perfect fit

I then eyeballed a 10 to 12 inch of pipe and cut it

I put the pipe between the clip and the top of the lip to test it out(you can see where this is going)

I used some thing to measure equal lengths from the cut and drilled 2 holes in the lip (you actually need 4, as you'll see later)

I measured off a two inch gap, and held it in place

I then marked where the edges and holes lined up on the pipe. (4 holes would be better here)

Like so:

I then drilled holes in the pipe, and run my long bolts through the lip and pipe (These bolts are long so 1.5 inch bolts would do)

This is where i realized there was some play and I only had 3 long bolts so I used a screw on one side

Again this is where your creativity comes in to cover the gap. I used a fabric softener bottle. I suggest a piece of black rubber with a little elasticity.

I pre-bent the plastic to the shape of the bumper, sanded the area to be glued, and attached it.(use a bigger piece of sand paper)

Because mine was in bad shape, I sanded the lip and painted everything flat black

I then removed the bumper (referring to this DIY)

I removed the stock lip

and attached the new lip(referring to this DIY). I used a heat gun on the corners for a flush fit.

Then re-installed the bumper

Im sure other members have ways to make this 100 times better. For the middle piece I would suggest a black, sturdy rubber, because constant scraping will take the paint off, and you don't want your purex label showing Like I said, your creativity and neatness will determine the final look.

And the end result:

This is after 3 days of constant, somtimes severe scraping and dragging. Some paint came off, but its holding up very well.
    I have some black vinyl, a piece of black rubber, black electrical tape, and black 'duck' tape from the dollar store, to make it more neat and even, but I'm rocking the frankenstein/prototype look for now. Ill edit with pics when I do that.

This is simply an idea/diy that can be improved upon by the more fabrication savy + plus its as easy as 1 2 3

Hopefully this helps those thinking of making their Legend sedan lip flush with the edges of the bumper

[EDIT] With rubber insert and gloss black

[EDIT] With bondo and flat black
    Last edited by DCB7; 04-22-2013, 09:18 PM. Reason: links

looks good on the sides and no down syndrome under bite of the coupe lip but needs more subtle in front.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

a lot more subtle.

why not just use flush head small screws and trim the plastic filler piece to just fill the gap and not overlap it. then glue it in place and paint it all black?
      visit vgruk

Comment

flush head screws for sure, countersinking bolts+some filler, primer, paint. Probably wont be able to notice it.
        Im going to do that within the next week, and update with pics

Comment

I think Bondo would be great for creating a seamless fill in the center and over those bolts.

Comment

[QUOTE=STOCKa6;3134184]I think Bondo would be great for creating a seamless fill in the center and over those bolts.[/QUOTE

bondo would be great to!
            visit vgruk

Comment

look up how to do plastic repair

You should get another legend lip and cut a section out so you can fill the gap with a matching piece. Glue together with plastic adhesive reinforced with perforated metal on the backside. Use plastic filler on front to blend out, then sand lip completely smooth and prime/paint.
              Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by STOCKa6 View Post
                I think Bondo would be great for creating a seamless fill in the center and over those bolts.
                [QUOTE=RyanD;3134214]
                I think Bondo would be great for creating a seamless fill in the center and over those bolts.[/QUOTE

bondo would be great to!
                Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                look up how to do plastic repair

You should get another legend lip and cut a section out so you can fill the gap with a matching piece. Glue together with plastic adhesive reinforced with perforated metal on the backside. Use plastic filler on front to blend out, then sand lip completely smooth and prime/paint.
                Thanks for the input guys.

This is it with a rubber insert and gloss black paint

Soon as i get a chance I'm gonna switch out the bolts and hit it with the bondo. No way around it for a clean look

Comment

i would just use flush head screws. the lip is not a load bearing object so i really dont think bolts are necessary
                  visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                    i would just use flush head screws. the lip is not a load bearing object so i really dont think bolts are necessary
                    I took your advice on this, i just wanted to make sure it could take a parking bump, or the dips, but it should be alright.

I was liking the rough look, kinda like the drifters with zipties holding the bumperup. But since i done made a diy out of it, i felt obligated to make it look clean to show it can be done.

I cut a fresh piece of pipe

took the old one off and tossed it

I used plastic strips(wife's tupperware) as improvised mesh

I cut some foam plates up(lightweight&waterproof) to fill the gap, and attached it to the 'mesh'

then I hit it with the bondo and sanded with some 80 grit

I even put a coat of primer on it

Then i hit it with the flat black (Krylon this time)

I guess you coluld see it if you're looking for it

Check it out

Im not a professional, and I rushed it. With more time it could have been more perfect.

Comment

Looks a lot better dude. Way to make it happen.
                      MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
                      1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Thanks man. I appreciate it
                        I had to do a bit more work on the second go round. Now that little bump is gonna irk me till I sand it down some more

Comment

looks great bud! glad you took my advice you can hardly even know its there
                          visit vgruk

Comment

What gap? Lol, looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanD View Post
                              looks great bud! glad you took my advice you can hardly even know its there
                              you know it

What gap? Lol, looks great.
                              Thanks bro and it wasnt hard either
                              Last edited by DCB7; 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X