Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good reason to NOT procrastinate getting new tires!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good reason to NOT procrastinate getting new tires!

Short story: It had been raining so the roads were wet. My tires have about 1/16" tread left. I though I has ok since no puddles on road. Took a left turn on the interstate at 80mph I've taken many times before, even when wet.

This time the rear end lost traction QUICKLY. I tried to correct with the front wheels, no go. We slid sideways for a bit then the right front took the initial hit on the guardrail completely removing the bumper and spinning the right rear into the rail. After that we made one more complete turn without hitting anything and rolled to a stop a couple feet from the rail pointed the way we were going.

I waited till the 3 lanes were clear (NOBODY even slowed down btw) and pulled across into the grass next to an exit. Get out and check the vitals. Everything is OK. Engine is purring, steering is perfectly straight, radiator is fine, AC is blowing cold. So since no other vehicles were involved and no injuries I drove it home.

Called the insurance and filed a claim, we'll see but I'm thinking it's totaled.

Guys don't postpone new tires!!!!!!!

My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Don't do it again..

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

I don't see any bends (Ofcourse not there) but if it's within specs it want be to bad, but i'm pretty positive they will total it. Regardless that stinks, i wish ya the best if you were closer i'd get you done for cheap as we have a frame puller here at the shop.

02 Crv
      02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
      92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
      Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
        Don't do it again..
        Needless to say lesson learned, beating myself up bc I KNEW they are due for replacement just been putting it off.

It sucks, this was one of the best condition all original panels/paint cb7s on here and now I screwed that record up.
        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

i have all terrains lol
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

To be honest with you thou have to be a bit careful next time. You honestly should keep the car since parts are dirt cheap. In damages you prolly gotta come out of $750 for paint and parts.

Comment

The front inner fender on the right side is bent like crazy. In the rear the frame behind the taillight is pushed in about an inch, the rear quarter is bent, seam between quarter panel and trunk surround is broken, bumper is cracked. $750? Doubtful.

Here's my list from what I can tell:

1. Right front bulkhead set
              2. Center upper bulkhead
              3. Right front lower wheelhouse
              4. Right front upper wheelhouse
              5. Right front fender
              6. Repair left fender
              7. Hood
              8. Bumper, mounts, supports
              9. Corner lights
              10. Both headlight complete assemblies
              11. Possibly rear trunk panel
              12. Possibly rear right quarter panel
              13. Right inner & outer taillights red/clears
              14. Rear bumper face
              My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Its a goner man. If you just had two good tires in the rear, you would've been fine. That's why Discount Tire always recommends putting new tires in the rear even on FWD vehicles.

Glad you made it out safely. At least you won't have to buy tires for it now haha. Put that 400 into another CB7

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  Its a goner man. If you just had two good tires in the rear, you would've been fine. That's why Discount Tire always recommends putting new tires in the rear even on FWD vehicles.

Glad you made it out safely. At least you won't have to buy tires for it now haha. Put that 400 into another CB7
                  Yeah I think it'll be totalled. Depending on the settlement I may buy it back for its salvage value and have it repaired. I can get all the needed body parts for about 1k and have a shop I know do the labor.... Probably cheaper than getting another good CB7 plus wouldn't have to swap over all my mods.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                    The front inner fender on the right side is bent like crazy. In the rear the frame behind the taillight is pushed in about an inch, the rear quarter is bent, seam between quarter panel and trunk surround is broken, bumper is cracked. $750? Doubtful.

Here's my list from what I can tell:

1. Right front bulkhead set
                    2. Center upper bulkhead
                    3. Right front lower wheelhouse
                    4. Right front upper wheelhouse
                    5. Right front fender
                    6. Repair left fender
                    7. Hood
                    8. Bumper, mounts, supports
                    9. Corner lights
                    10. Both headlight complete assemblies
                    11. Possibly rear trunk panel
                    12. Possibly rear right quarter panel
                    13. Right inner & outer taillights red/clears
                    14. Rear bumper face
                    Yes its going to be $750 I don't know who you take your car to but the car is helps old. Over here you can take the car to Shea stadium and have the papi's get it cracking for dirt cheap quality-wize. They be waiting for that work and they do mufflers and all that doubtful huh ... Think again.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
                      the car is helps old....Have the papi's get it cracking.
                      What?

The shop I use is closed all week for the 4th so we'll see first of next week what will happen.
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Tires the only thing keeping your car on the road. Best not to skimp in this area, Name Brands Only!. Cheap tires, perform, well, cheaply.
                        Tire shops always say, "Best to Back." Sucks man, hope shes all good.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          ---------------- That's why Discount Tire always recommends putting new tires in the rear even on FWD vehicles.---------------
                          I didn't know that. My back tires are worn and I was going to move front ones to back when I get two new tires.
                          It makes sense now that you said it. two new one are going to the back.

To the OP: Sorry for what happened but it's a good thing that no one was hurt, physically.
                          A&P-IA

Comment

Seeing how the strut tower assembly is bent and likely more, if replaced i'd estimate with pulling the rest back in spec $1500-2250, no way it will be $750 with parts an labor unless halfassed big time.

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                              Seeing how the strut tower assembly is bent and likely more, if replaced i'd estimate with pulling the rest back in spec $1500-2250, no way it will be $750 with parts an labor unless halfassed big time.

Looking at available oem panels the strut tower is separate metal from the wheel housing metal which is the front most part of the frame. Very certain my strut tower is unaffected. Between the ESP traction bar and motor mounts and neuspeed strut tower brace The critical frame stayed put I believe. I see no evidence of bends in the strut brace, decreased gaps between motor/tranny/pullies and frame rail. THINK I'm okay there. I'm thinking 1500ish..
                              My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X