Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Type-R Lip Install

Better Angle Pics Posted 4/20/05
    Disclaimer: This is how I did mine, you may have different results with a different method of installing. I take no responsibility for any damages you may cause to your lip or car when installing.

Introduction: This is a DIY install and paint for a TYPE-R Style Lip for a 1995 Accord-Fabricated onto a 1993 Accord. Different methods can be used to install, I found this way to be easiest and strongest in terms of being attached.

Tools & Materials: 1 Can of Plasti-Kote Bumper and Trim Primer, 1 Can of Plasti-Kote Bumper and Trim Flat Black, 1 Package of self-tapping screws, 600 Grit sandpaper, 1 Drill with phillips-head bit (screws go in easily through Both lips)

1. I put lip on and measured out the ends that needed to be cut off. This lip is slightly longer, made to fit a 1994-1995 Accord, so modification was necessary. I measured it by having someone hold the lip against my car while i measured how much needed to be cut off on each end with a pen/marker.

2. I cut off the ends using a hacksaw, dremels are fine, the material is abs plastic-therefore it cuts pretty easily. After cutting the ends off you are left with a rough edge, I used 300 grit sandpaper to really work the edges down to a smooth finish, followed by a 600 grit sandpaper.

3. THE LIP MUST BE PLACED ON THE EXISITING LIP (therefore, you must already have the EX lip to attach this one. Ifyou look on the Type-R Lip you will see there is extra plastic in the middle to be slotted in between the bumper and the existing lip. So, you have to loosen your existing lip and slip the Type-R lip in there. Next, tighten the bolts back up, and you will see the Type-R lip stays in place-held together like a vice in between the old lip and your bumper.

4. Using SELF-TAPPING screws with a flat head, apply (2) on each side, one towards the very end of the lip, and another 5 inches away (The second screw is used for extra support but not necessary). The other screws can be applied under the lip through the existing lip and the type R-Lip into the undercarriage of your bumper (however, also not completely necessary because the "vice" of holding them together, which I spoke about in step 3 holds the type-r lip TIGHTLY. (You may also put one screw through the middle of the lip-directly under the license plate for extra support (like i did).

5. Newspaper the bumper up and cover accordingly. Sand down the Type-R Lip using 600 grit sandpaper (before hand, clean using rubbing alcohol if desired). Than apply 2-3 coats of Bumper Trim Primer. Sand down using 600 grit sandpaper after the final coat. Follow directions on the can on drying time. Than apply 2-3 coats of the Bumper trim paint, I used flat black, which made it look less glossy more matte finish which I was going for. Allow to dry at least 3-4 hours. **The reason I didn't apply paint before install, is because I was afraid I would scratch the paint when tapping the screws (like an accident)**

6. Remove newspaper, sit back and stare at your beautiful new addition to your cb7. Also, Since some of you may not want to see the screws sticking out .1 milimeters, so I suggest using bondo over the screws and sand down and paint over so it will look ultra clean. (I might do this eventually).

Last edited by Nycxeracer; 04-20-2005, 04:53 PM.
    My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

nice write up man.

and the tapping screws arent even that noticable

Comment

looks good nice write up and pics

LEAVE NO DOUBT!
      If God is for Me
      Who Dares be aganist Me!
      BX Crew
      HSHO # 6
      Lexotic Concepts 019

Comment

Nice job dude, makes ur wip looks a bit more agressive. Didnt know it was that simple, by the way where did you but ur lip and how much u paid??
        1993 Accord LX - Sold
        93 BMW 525it - SOLD
        92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
        2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
        2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
        2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
        2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
        2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

looks great and good job the DIY! yeah it was right of you to paint the lip on the car already because if you painted before mounting, the paint would have surely cracked due to the bending.
          1cor10:31
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Wow, I was wondering how you were gonna get that lip on with no tabs. So you basically put the lip over the stock one and slide the middle thingy between the lip and bumper and drilled the typr R lip onto the stock lip right?

Comment

hey nice write-up. will be using this soon.

quick question. can you measure the pieces you have cut off? if i ahve those measurements it will save me some time. iw ont have to place it up and align and such. ya know? if not... ill grab the measurements off of mine when i do it. just to make it easier for everyone. thanks!

whoo i cant wait now. it looks awesome!

Michalob's CB7

Comment

Originally posted by Michalob
                hey nice write-up. will be using this soon.

quick question. can you measure the pieces you have cut off? if i ahve those measurements it will save me some time. iw ont have to place it up and align and such. ya know? if not... ill grab the measurements off of mine when i do it. just to make it easier for everyone. thanks!

whoo i cant wait now. it looks awesome!
                When I had my mugen lip I put it on first then cut it off, it was pretty easy.

Comment

good write up man...ill be doing this very soon...engine still needs some work so hopefully soon. keep that shit up man
                  http://photobucket.com/albums/y35/doneaccord/?action=view&current=DSC00643.jpg

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses, it makes the work that much more rewarding when people appreciate what you did and I'm glad you guys think it looks hott . Unfortunately, I can't measure the ends because I threw them out...but, I wouldn't use that as a guideline, because I have 2 of these lips, and one was a different length than the one I installed. It was only slightly off, but enough to make a difference. If i remember correctly though, I cut off just about 4 inches on each side. Hope that helps. I could measure the whole lip though, if anyone needs. Enjoy !

Comment

nice write up

'04 SB AP2 211whp 150wtq

Comment

Looks nice and an excellent write-up.
                        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

im sorry but that looks kinda hokey....the screw head that is sticking out doesnt make it look clean.

i thought there was one DIY that didnt have to have you attach to the existing lip?

but...A for the effort!!! thats what counts.
                          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by 4thGen4dr
                            Wow, I was wondering how you were gonna get that lip on with no tabs. So you basically put the lip over the stock one and slide the middle thingy between the lip and bumper and drilled the typr R lip onto the stock lip right?
                            Yah, that's pretty much it! It's quite simple, and looks amazingly clean. BTW, if you can figure an easier way to attach this, by all means TRY, lol. Like i stated in the first post, there are probably mannnny other ways to do this, but this holds it on THE BEST, and is easiest to install @ home. The screws are slightly noticeable, but I have turned more heads with this lip on than without it. Major compliments included. If you really don't like the screws, you can cover it with bondo, like i said in step 6, and repaint. If you're not inclined, than it'll look fine.
                            Last edited by Nycxeracer; 04-19-2005, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Here's the Pics @ better angles, with a better camera. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X