Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Underdrive pulley, bad for bottom end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underdrive pulley, bad for bottom end?

I just traded my cb7 off for a 95 Integra GSR. And the car came with an unorthodoxed underdrive pulley. Now i noticed on the stocker it has a rubber section to serve as a harmonic balancer but on the underdrive pulley there is no rubber. So i asked some people around here and they said that they wouldn't use it. And one guy with a 99si said that he was only getting about 10k miles out of his bottom ends but he wasn't for sure if it was the pulley or the people that did the work but he don't have the pulley on now and he hasn't had any problems yet, but he is also in vtec everywhere he goes and that don't help. So what do you guys think about this pulley and my bottom end. Will it kill my bottom end or will it be alright. Let me know
    vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

The pulleys will not and will never hurt the engine at all....even the stupid "experiment" done by overboost.com i think is bogus.....the experiment is flawed like no other.....

the only issues i have ever heard of that are remotely accurate is the oil pumps on some civics going.....

this issue has been covered sooo many times....the pulleys themselves do not ruin the engine....it's the INSTAL and the driver....some think their car is soo fast with the pulleys and they constantly over rev the car and push it past it's limits. our engines are internally balanced and the little rubber thing is just over protection. the vibrations, the little that are there will not do a thing. i think fast93accrd had a oil pump catastrophy but again with all the power he was making he was still using a STOCK oil pump (not the brightest of ideas) if u want to make sure nothing happens then replace oil pump with toga oil pump.

but feel free to do some searching and come to a conclusion yourself.....i only offer my opinion.....
    My members ride thread

Comment

i appreciate it but not to offend you i would like other opinions too. I just cannot afford to waste my motor and i really don't want to have to rebuild it. thanks for the help but i want to hear a little more before i throw it on.
      vouch for:924dr, sn2bh22cb7, soysaucecb7, ecto1, PRIMESNIPER,2.2litrebeater,turbowagon94, losiracer2,jacobuchanan140, tommi, dannyd

Comment

well i have the UR pulley set and have had it no for well over 20k miles and i have had no issues......there are plenty on this site that have had no issues as well.....i'm sure u'll get alot of FIRST hand experience that tells u "go ahead and put them things on "
        My members ride thread

Comment

The UR pulley is already balanced anyway. The stock one is balanced by the rubber weight, but the UR is perfectly machined so it's balanced right when it comes out of the machine (UR still tests them to make sure before they ship them out)
          Originally posted by DoctorCipher
          ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

my h22 is still running. i heard all these stories too, but really had to see for myself.

Comment

man i heard this argument over 2 years ago when I put UR pulleys on my accord. I have not had one problem with my engine leaking, bruning oil or whatever you think an underdrive pulley will hurt. I have had these pulleys on my car for 2years+. I also have had turbo on my accord for 19 months now. The only thing that sucks is when I replaced my UR pulley belts I couldnt find the right size belt for my car. Everywhere in Denver was sold out of the ALT belt for the length I needed. WEIRD!!!!!! but i found one @ procarparts.com so whatever. Oh yeah I DO NOT reccomend a pulley kit for and Honda/Acura that is pushing more than 1500 watts out of your system. My car suffers still with a cap. But to answer your ? in my opinion is no the underdrive crank pulley itself wont F**K anything up but thinkin you can rev higher kuz of the pulley is bad.

Comment

my personal opinion, its not worth the 10hp... I used to use an alum crank pulley. I had about 10-15k on my old motor with it and it was fine. On my new motor i had about 8k on it when my new OEM oilpump broke. I think the pulley was to blame for bad harmonics that caused this. Regardless what others on here may say i would never run one again. I was stupid for even thinking it was legit cause some other jackasses do it...I put an OEM pulley on until i buy a "real" dampner like a fluidyne or ATI.... Spend the $$$ towards a nitrous kit or something that will actually make a honda quick...
                12.5 at 114.6mph 15psi
                11.7 and 11.5 20.5psi
                F22a1
                60-1 td06h turbo
                Darton mid sleeves
                85.5 wiseco 8.8:1 forged pistons
                Crower pro billet rods
                Custom ported head.
                KMS valves
                F23 headgasket
                ARP H23 headstuds
                H23 upper intake manifold
                F22a6 lower intake manifold
                Intake manifold is gutted
                AEM EMS 1040u
                FIC 850cc injectors
                Walbro 255 pump
                H23 manual trans
                Prelude shifter assembly
                Forbidden short throw
                Nitrous Express Kit installed, never used on this motor

Comment

The only stories I've heard is that the oil pump breaks. But this is because of the shitty OEM oil pump in the first place. Its made out of cheap materials. I'd recomend changing the oil pump if you are going to put a crank pulley on. I plan to put the UR pulley on my car and am getting this oil pump:
                  http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...umpshonda.html

Comment

i got 4 years of driving an h22 powered civic with a 13 oz UR pulley and not an issue yet. there is nothing that the stock pulley does for harmonics, if there was it would be a lot bulkier, and would NOT have drill/machine marks indicating it had been dynamically balanced by honda.

Comment

people that say it's the pulley obviously have some issues bc their not the brightest people.....they spend hundreds/thousands on these powerful mods and cheap out on the small important stuff lol.....the harmonics EXCUSE is bs, there in NO proof ever ever that have shown or remotely indicate that the UR pulleys are a cause to any issues.

us "jackasses" don't cheap out on parts ty very much, and actually do alittle research into the matter of underdrive pulleys and how they work and what is needed to be upgraded when certain power milestones are acheived!!!!!
                      and we take responsibility for our stupidity/mistakes aka not upgrading to a better oil pump. it's almost as dumb as reusing worn gaskets and increasing hp by 50...lol
                      My members ride thread

Comment

UR pulleys

I have a set of UR pulleys to put on my h22. What size belts or what belts do you use?

Comment

I have the UR pulley kit on my 5th gen with a H in it and have had no problems for the past 3+ years. The only problem i saw was my lights dimming at idle, try and optima battery no fix, then got a high output altenator and that fixed my problem.
                          CD5-CB7

Yall got 6 month to get ya thing together, goodluck

Comment

yea my lights dim alittle when at idle...haven't gotten a H/O alternator yet but do have optima yellow top lol yey
                            My members ride thread

Comment

Pulleys for 2 years = no problems. Oil pump = fine. The pump only goes bad because some people think after they install this they can beat the cb7 to hell even thought most have over 125,000 on them. Lastly, I got in a huge ass argument about this a while ago, so I am going to bite my tongue and just say, as long as they are installed properly w/the right belts you should be just fine.
                              My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X