90-91 and 92-93 Differences / History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90-91 and 92-93 Differences / History

thanks to ACCLUDE91 for starting this thread on another forum and posting much of the info. in it ...

90-91 and 92-93 Differences:

Lenses:

:: Most obvious, the tail lights on 90-91 cover the full sides of the trunk lid beside the license plate, while 92-93 (except for coupe models) have a little section that separates the license plate from the lights. Also, the 90-91 taillight lenses have the amber colored lense strip running across the top of the lense, and the big red part of the lense is below it. Whereas the 92-93 accords have the big, red chunk of the lense up top... and the amber strip running across the bottom... with a small clear corner square (reverse light) in the lower, right/left hand corner of the lenses.

:: The corner and bumper lenses have a slightly different fit, and the 90-91 bumper lenses have less amber coloring in them as compared to the pure amber colored 92-93 bumper lenses.

Center Grill:

:: The center grille between the headlights on 90-91 is a 2 piece section of the H emblem section, and then the border, while on 92-93 it's a 3 piece section for the H emblem the plastic section inside and then the border.

Bumper/Front lip:

:: the bumper is slightly different. Where the 90-91 has the black underneath the bumper lights, the 92-93 kinda curves in and is the same color as the car. The available front lips (EX/SE) are also shaped a bit differently. The 92-93 lip kinda looks like a mini integra type r lip... whereas the 90-91 is more flat/straight across.

Seatbelts:

:: 90-91 come equipped with those motorized seatbelts, and the 92-93 CB7's are spared.

Interior:

:: 90-91 have the emergency flashers on the far right spot above the climate controls. 92-93 have it on the far left.

:: 92-93's have a arm rest in the middle between the driver and passenger seat. The 90-91's dont.

:: Also, many 90-91 accord models have no center consoles... only an e-brake handle.

:: All 90-91 Accord models have no airbags. 92-93's do.

Wheels:

:: Another difference is the wheels that were put on each different badge of each year. The wheels/hubcaps are styled differently among each model of each 4th gen. year.

CB7 History:

1991: Now the best-selling retail car in the U.S., the Accord line gains a 4-door station wagon and antilock brakes for its premium SE sedan. The top-line SE gains not only ABS, but four-wheel disc brakes and an extra ten horsepower over the EX version (140 vs. 130).

1992: EX becomes the top Accord model and incorporates such features as ABS and the 140-horsepower engine. Driver-side airbags become standard equipment on all models.

1993: Continuing its practice of rotating the EX and SE as flagship models, the SE returns as the top-of-the-line model for 1993. A high-mount stoplight finds its way into the rear spoiler of coupe models, while the sedan gets a standard passenger-side airbag to join the driver-side unit that came in '92.

Another Version of 90-93 History:

The 1990 Accord was completely revamped, inside and out. The fourth-generation Accord grew in size, power and popularity (in fact, the Accord was the best-selling car in America for three years in a row, 1990-1992.) The hatchback was dropped, leaving a notchback coupe and a four-door sedan as available choices. Wheelbase was increased by nearly 5 inches (now 107.1 inches), and weight went up, though even the heaviest Accord, the EX four-door, still weighed less than 3000 pounds. Styling in and out was very clean and purposeful, with a low beltline, large greenhouse (window area) and slim roof pillars that minimized blind spots. The uncluttered and chiseled appearance of the '90 Accord gave an overall impression of quality and solidity. This notion was confirmed when one simply hopped in the car and shut the door or turned a knob to put on the headlights. Doors shut with a solid "thunk" and switchgear had a precise and satisfying action.

In keeping with Honda's logical system of offering a few versions of each car with increasing standard features (as opposed to the American car makers' philosophy of offering a confusing array of options and option packages), three trim levels were available. One could choose a basic DX, a well-equipped LX (which, as before, had power windows/locks/mirrors, cruise control, A/C and a decent stereo cassette all standard) or the top-shelf EX (which added a power moonroof, alloy wheels and 5 more horsepower to an LX).

On the mechanical side, carburetors were history, as fuel injection was made standard on all Accords. The new 2.2-liter engine pumped out 125 horsepower in DX and LX trims, and 130 horses in the EX. Other changes included electronic control for the automatic transmission and motorized front shoulder belts (the latter to satisfy government safety requirements).

1990 Accords ranged in price from $12,145 for the DX Coupe to $16,595 for an EX Sedan.

Honda finally catered to those who loved the Accord but needed more luggage space by bringing out an Accord Wagon for 1991, which could be had in LX or EX trim levels. The wagon provided a total cargo volume (with the second seat flipped down) of nearly 65 cubic feet. And even with that seat up, there was still nearly 35 cubic feet available -- more than double the capacity of the sedan's trunk. Curiously, driver's side airbags were fitted to the wagons (which as a result did not need to use the motorized front shoulder belts) but not the sedans. And in a break with tradition, Honda brought out an SE (the "i" was dropped because all Accords were now injected) version, even though this was not the last year for this iteration of the Accord. The SE gilded the lily with leather seats, a more powerful engine (140 horsepower against the EX's 130) and antilock brakes, which were a first for the Accord. Capping the changes for this year was the addition of color-keyed mirrors on the LX and EX.

Feeling more generous, Honda equipped all 1992 Accords with a driver's side airbag, eliminating the somewhat annoying motorized shoulder belts of the sedans. This year, the SE was dropped from the team and the EX benefited by getting the 140 horsepower motor and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS (antilock braking system) formerly fitted to the SE. Revisions to the grille and bumpers were so subtle as to be barely noticeable. A more obvious update was fashioned on the taillights (except on the wagon), which made it easier to tell a '92 Accord Coupe or Sedan from its '91 counterpart.

Returning to business as usual, Honda brought back the SE for the fourth generation's last year, 1993. In addition to the expected leather seating and Bose stereo, the '93 SE was also available as a coupe version and (inexplicably) the sedan but not the coupe received a passenger's side airbag. A 10th anniversary LX Sedan model shared some features with the upper-end Accords, such as the dual airbags, alloy wheels and ABS.

source: www.edmunds.com

Official 90-91 to 92-93 Pictoral Difference Thread
    Last edited by uncle_el; 05-11-2005, 03:41 PM.

Makes for good reading at work. I didn't know my thoroughbred CB7 had it like that! All 90-91's beware!...

Comment

Interior:

:: 90-91 have the emergency flashers on the far right spot above the climate controls. 92-93 have it on the far left.

:: 92-93's have a arm rest in the middle between the driver and passenger seat. The 90-91's dont.

:: Also, many 90-91 accord models have no center consoles... only an e-brake handle.

:: All 90-91 Accord models have no airbags. 92-93's do.
      My '91 EX came with adjustable lumbar support on the driver seat where the 92-93 have their armrest. Might want to add that feature.

I personally never liked the armrest on 4th gen Accords. When I drive my friend's 92 LX I swing it up and out of the way.

Comment

I have the 93 ex. It comes with lumbar support and the armrest.

Comment

heh, i remember posting in that thread... that was a loooooong time ago.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

my 91 accord lx has a lumbar and it came with a spoiler unless my grandmother put it on i dought it

(\__/)
            (O.o )
            (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

Figured I would add a few....

-The bumper and side molding is different, 92/93 is thinner
              -92/93's don't have the "HONDA" emblem on the upper left side of the rear deck lid
              -The valve cover; 90/91's say "Honda Motor Co." whereas the 92/93's just say "Honda"
              -Ignition system; 92/93's have an external coil instead of an internal unit found on the 90/91 models

Well, thats all I can think of
              00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

The 1991 accord SE has a leather wrapped armrest/storage compartment. (not built into seats like 92-93's armrests)

Comment

Originally posted by Kdub
                  The 1991 accord SE has a leather wrapped armrest/storage compartment. (not built into seats like 92-93's armrests)
                  where did u get this info?from cuz i cant find that feature but i got a armrest/storage compartment form a 90 accord from japan or canada

Comment

1991 SE came with a driver side air bag.

Center arm rest was a dealer option for 1991.

EGR Port Cleaning http://home.comcast.net/~em-engineering/T2T013.pdf

Comment

are the bumper supports different between the 90-91 and 92-93's? the reason i ask is because phatdonuts front bumper looks different than mine even though theyre the same style...the center hole is bigger....is it that the bumper supports are smaller or did he just have them removed? i want a bigger center hole cuz i have a big intercooler and i want as much air as possible going through it

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                      first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
                      Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                      no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
                      So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Originally posted by oneoffaccord
                        where did u get this info?from cuz i cant find that feature but i got a armrest/storage compartment form a 90 accord from japan or canada
                        That armrest is in my 91 SE, Also my boy had one just like mine a few years ago(wrecked now) and it had it. I also noticed that my 91 se was made in Japan and the 91 ex was made in the U.S.

Comment

I now know 12590678508% more about my car
                          To-Do List for Today
                          Be Awesome

Comment

Hmm just a correction on the "interior" section. I have a 90 and emergency flasher button is on the far left (closer to the driver )not the far right like mentioned in the post . And i don't have motorized seatbelts i think maybe cause i have a CND model eh
                            U silly rabbit don't u know tricks are made for kidz, You without me is like corn flakes without the milk! This my world, you just a squirrel trying to get a nut!!

Comment

my 91 ex has a center armrest/storage compartment

Comment

Working...
                              X