Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace cam without taking off timing belt????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace cam without taking off timing belt????

During Christmas break, I'm going to be swapping an a6 cam into my F22a1. Anyone know if these steps will work correctly:

1. Remove valve cover, top timing belt cover, blah blah.....
    2. Clearly mark distributor location, and "cam sprocket to timing belt" location..
    3. Remove rocker assembly & cam holders
    4. Lift cam up and slip timing belt off
    5. Remove & replace with a6 cam in same manner (marking a6 cam at same point as a1 cam)

I think it should work fine because the profile differences between these two cams isn't that much really

And yes, I am replacing the cam seals & distributor seals.

Oh: What seals the distributor end of the camshaft? All I know of is the dizzy internal and external seals at that end......and i can't find any other seal in schematics
    My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

What do you mean by "without taking off timing belt?"

Surely you dont mean it as in not having to undo the timing belt...

Changing the cam starts with the same procedure as changing the timing belt....Put motor to TDC, remove timing covers, and so on and so fourth.

So in a nutshell, if your replacing the cam, its not a bad idea to replace timing belt and water pump, as well as anything else in that area, I.E cam seal, balance shaft seals, front crank seal.

i see it like, if your in the area already, why not make it all new.

But thats just me.
    -RIP Eric Hall. Miss you brother-
    newskoolhippy (10:53:37 PM): i want to see a pic of you with a hard-on to prove thats your cock
    newskoolhippy (10:53:56 PM): i need to see your face in the pic
    newskoolhippy (10:54:07 PM): with todays paper in the picture to prove your taking it now

Comment

Without taking timing belt off.

1. Set motor to TDC. (Optional)
      2. Zip tie(s) the timing belt with camshaft pulley.
      3. Remove the camshaft pulley.

I used this method to change the front camshaft seal.
      No problem what so ever.
      1st car: Frost White 1991 Accord EX sedan.. (Dec. 1999 ~ Jan. 2001) *Sold*
      2nd car: Black Pearl 1993 Accord 10th Anniversary sedan (Feb. 10, 2003 ~ Mar. 8, 2008) *Sold*
      3rd car: Frost White 1992 Accord EX sedan (Jan. 15, 2008 ~ Aug. 12, 2008) *RIP*
      4th car: Seattle Silver 1991 Accord EX coupe 5MT (Aug. 13, 2011 ~ Mar. 19, 2014) *Sold*
      5th car: Black Pearl 1994 Accord LX coupe 5MT (Mar. 1, 2014 ~ )

Comment

I have the a6 cam gear with the cam i'n replacing.....is the a6 gear any different than the a1 gear? As in TDC is a tooth off.....?

Also: I just replaced everything behind the timing cover 10,000 miles ago so there is no need at all to replace any of it.

My thinking is that I can lift the passenger side cam end up, slide the timing belt off and insert the replacement cam the same way. I know once I get in there and compare the two cam gears for differences etc. that I can easily figure it all out, but I just like to get a head start on things.
        My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

I JUST did my t-belt...and THEN i learned that the a6 cam was different...DAMN IT I said several times out loud.

You can do this very easily...BUT you'll need to loosen the belt some, even though the belt isn't TIGHT like an accesory belt...it should not be a limp noodle either.

I looked into it on my car...just loosen that adjuster nut, then follow the steps you've got laid out (zip ties...not a bad idea).

I wouldn't recommend this to ANYONE who is not only comfortable with doing a t-belt change...but the must be able to do it without any hint of needing help. This could SERIOUSLY screw up your engine if you got the timing off.

Also...my belt tensioner springs weren't doing the job...so for me I'll have to take the lower cover off so I can make sure the balance shaft belt is the proper tightness.
          ____

Comment

The more I think about it, the more I think I probably should just pull the motor mount and timing covers because even my new tensioner springs weren't tight enough so I'll end up having to go back there anyway to re tighten it.

But yeah, this operation doesn't scare me in the least, I've done plenty of different t-belt changes, head gasket replacements, etc etc when I worked at the shop.
            My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Replacing the cam does require removing Timing belt off the cam gear, also when putting in another camshaft, you will need a new seal for it or should (don't recycle some other used cam seal, you're asking for leaks).

Also, if you were familiar with all this because you worked at some shop, why don't you know the answer to these questions?
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

1. Remove valve cover, top timing belt cover, blah blah.....
                2. Clearly mark distributor location, and "cam sprocket to timing belt" location..
                3. Remove rocker assembly & cam holders
                4. Lift cam up and slip timing belt off

these steps describe exactly how i got my a6 cam out of my junker and i was planning on replacing it the same way u are thinking as long as u replace ur seals and clearly mark the timing at tdc i dont c the prob.

Comment

As far as distributor seals, there is an internal seal (not replaceable (easily at least)) and then theres the O-ring around the outside shaft, you will want to replace that. Go to honda dealer and ask for a distributor oring seal. They'll get ya what you need...i can't remember the Part # its something like 30132-bla bla

Proud owner of the only JJDM full 2.5" catback exhaust!

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                    Replacing the cam does require removing Timing belt off the cam gear, also when putting in another camshaft, you will need a new seal for it or should (don't recycle some other used cam seal, you're asking for leaks).

Also, if you were familiar with all this because you worked at some shop, why don't you know the answer to these questions?
                    Well, at the shop we don't regularly replace the cam itself, just the timing belt & accessories. I was just wondering if there was a "safe" shortcut alternative to removing the timing covers and loosening the T-belt, but as I said, the more I think about it, the more I think I should just loosen the T-belt and lift the cam straight out instead of at an angle and off the "tight T-belt".

I think it'll be safer to make sure the new cam is seated properly than to try to take a shortcut......and new seals are a definite, i already have the dist & cam seals.
                    My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Working...
                    X