Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying Royal Purple motor oil....any opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying Royal Purple motor oil....any opinions?

I've decided to try some Royal Purple oil in my car. I'm switching from Mobil 1 full synthetic b/c I've heard good things of this oil. Just wondering...how long should I go on this oil change w/ RP? And I chose that STP filter b/c in that filter test I think Madspleen posted, that one had good results and used a metal encasing vs. Fram w/ their plastic ones.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

People love it. They claim that you'll gain power. Honestly, quality oil is quality oil. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or Amsoil (which I am consistently told is the best) are the ones to use.

You probably won't notice any difference. It'll be nice knowing that your engine is sliding on good stuff though.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      People love it. They claim that you'll gain power. Honestly, quality oil is quality oil. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, or Amsoil (which I am consistently told is the best) are the ones to use.

You probably won't notice any difference. It'll be nice knowing that your engine is sliding on good stuff though.
      yeah I've tried to find some Redline or Amsoil oil around here, but the local stores just don't seem to carry it. But how long can you go on this oil? I do live in AZ where it gets to 115+ sometimes, and this is gonna be in my car, prob. for the summer.

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I switched from mobi1 1 to RP. The only thing I noticed was increased MPG. I am now a RP stan.

Comment

If I build my F22 or go for another engine Im going to run RP in it.
          wat?

Comment

I would stay under 5000 miles to be safe. You may be able to go higher, but 5000 is always a good number. 3000 is a bit early. A number devised by the oil companies (and oil change companies, like Jiffy Lube, who I believe is responsible for the popularization of the number...) to make more money.

Synthetic is good for a healthy motor. If you have leaks, synthetic oil will find them... and escape.

Speaking of Redline... when I can afford it, I'm putting their tranny fluid in my GTP.

Comment

I would stay under 5000 miles to be safe. You may be able to go higher, but 5000 is always a good number. 3000 is a bit early. A number devised by the oil companies (and oil change companies, like Jiffy Lube, who I believe is responsible for the popularization of the number...) to make more money.

Synthetic is good for a healthy motor. If you have leaks, synthetic oil will find them... and escape.

Speaking of Redline... when I can afford it, I'm putting their tranny fluid in my GTP.
              I was also looking at the RP MAX ATF fluid, they say its compatible w/ HONDA ATF-Z1 so I was considering that since it's pretty much the same price.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I like LUCAS myself, 3qts penzoil + 1 qt lucas along with lucas gas treatment, mpg is around 26-28, and I notice the engine runs cooler according to temp guage.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show
                Last edited by doughboy415; 05-09-2008, 06:01 PM.
                BUILT NOT BOUGHTOG OWNER,SINCE 06/1992

Comment

check this out...

Big Block Chevy, naturally aspirated made 980 hp on the engine dyno running royal purple.

they did asbolutely nothing to the motor but change the oil to amsoil and oil filter. the motor picked up 49.9 hp which brings it to ~1030 hp.

i saw the dyno sheet in person and was built by Dave Haver. 5% gain from the motor only. amsoil claims around 3% from motor oil, transmission and rear diff oil.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I'm planning to start using RP too. I would recommend using a Hamp oil filter and changing every 3,000 miles.
                    Raceline USA

Comment

I've heard of reports of RP being... not so good for heads. It's got a compound in it similar to graphite called something like molybemdium sulfide. Either way, that makes it more slippery but I hear its rough on heads. Something to research.
                      My Car
                      FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

yeah but where does everyone get all this amsoil/redline/hamp filters? I can't find it at any local parts stores

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley
                          I've heard of reports of RP being... not so good for heads. It's got a compound in it similar to graphite called something like molybemdium sulfide. Either way, that makes it more slippery but I hear its rough on heads. Something to research.
                          Really? I've never heard anything bad about RP.
                          Raceline USA

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley
                            SYNERLEC?

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

i have been using rp in my GSR ever since i bought it. no complaints here, still change it every 3k though, and i use a toyo-roki s2000 filter.

Comment

Working...
                              X