No announcement yet.

IRAQ: worth the money to go, or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no man my dads not a marine anymore, he doesnt do anything with intel now.he got out back in ´01 and now hes just a regular grunt in the natl guard. hes an IT director for the county.
    (RIP)1993 LX Sedan
    Frost White Crew Member #36

JDM Beating Stick Owner #1
    My (old) Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Thug View Post
      The absolute worst can happen anywhere. If people would actually pay attention they would realize the risk in war these days for U.S. soldiers has gone down at an astronomical rate. These risk assesments that lean towards a 50% chance of death might have some relevance if this was the 70s and we were in vietnam. But its not. Real talk. United States Army back in 2003> ALL. Thats whats up.

If you look at the casualty stats for OIF/EF and compare them to past wars what I am saying will become crystal clear. There are soldiers in the military that do nothing but practice war 24/7. Cav scouts,infantry men, tankers, etc.The percentage they respresent of the total force in Iraq NOW is very low. Even with asymetrical warfare and insurgents targeting supporting role/rear echelon soldiers instead of front line soldiers the risk is still way lower than it was in vietnam or WW2...even DS/DS.

The most obvious reason is technology. The tip of the spear as they call it has been extended and its reach is way beyond the rifleman/front line soldier. The soldier has been improved. Soldiers have been able to adopt to the uneven warfare while at the same time using older disciplines of war fighting effectively. All soldiers regardless of their speciality occupation are trained for these types of war especially during mobilization as opposed to pre 911.

Soldiers are considerably harder to kill now. Interceptor body armor which will be replaced by the superior dragon skin, up armored high mobility multi purpose vehicles, better more accurate rifles, improved kevlar hemlets, tracking systems, anti IED devices, etc.
      Oh yeah, compared to Vietnam, the death rate is considerably lower. We're also not seeking out an actively advancing enemy. There is no real front line.

Still, the risk of going to war compared to not going to war is fairly significant. You can't get killed in Iraq if you don't go to Iraq. If money is the only concern, there are other ways to earn money. Work 3 jobs. You'll still have more time to see your friends and enjoy life at home than you would in Iraq... because you'd be far far away from all those things over there.

It's not that I don't support our troops, or admire those that have gone over (and continue to go over). However, if the money is the ONLY reason for it... it's a lousy reason. If you're looking for your dad to pull some strings and get you there quickly, you're just asking to die. DO NOT rush your training if you go. It will save your life.

Comment

Im not just looking to go for the money. i may have badly titled this post.
        I want the experience, i love shooting, hiking, exercise in general, and taking myself to my limits. I want to up the ante for myself, and if money is an extra for doing that, then its all the better, right? who wouldnt like getting paid for doing the simple stuff that we all like anyways?
        Im not talking about rushing training. I read yesterday that BCT is getting extended to 10 weeks in october, or in other words, when i am going to be entering BCT, im talking about getting through the PAPERWORK BS that always ensues before. I hope my dad can get all that stuff squared away for me before i even am stateside again, so it makes my life easier as it is.
        TRUST ME, i am physically training, and reading, meditating on this decision proufoundly, I only wanted to find a couple opinions from guys that are older and have made this decision. It ALWAYS helps to get some opinions to make a decision easier to make. gets rid of the doubts faster.
        Thanks for all your concerns guys, and if you have any more suggestions/questions/etc, keep on posting. I have an open mind.
        (RIP)1993 LX Sedan

My (old) Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan1987 View Post
          so guys heres my current plans right now. When i get home im looking at going national guard to pay for school, but i really like the military anyways, and wouldnt mind going SF/Rangers somewhere down the road. my dads talking to me about going with him and his infantry unit, so id at least be with someone i can trust, and come home 35K richer. Obviously im taking into consideration the risk, but i got soldier in my veins, so im leaning more towards going for it.
          Anybody on here gone, and what do you guys think?
          for those who arent military, or had family go, dont start aflaming.

If anyone flames the US Military on this board right now, they are the biggest POS in the world. I don't think you have to worry about that.

Go for it man. I might be joining the Marines in the next year or so.

Comment

[QUOTE=Fake Thug;1547677]Not quite. An 18 year old PV2 out of A.I.T headed for active army makes pretty good $$ compared to other 18 year olds on the civilian side. That was me. I went split op into the reserve at age 17.

The most money I have ever seen in my life at that time. Even if you are mobilized and deployed as a PV1-PFC you have to take into account that your pay WILL increase signifigantly. I underline the word signifigantly.

1. No taxes taken whatsoever while in the theatre of operations.
            2. Fruits of deployment, i.e combat pay, BAH, hardship separation pay, free medical care, bonuses increased pay by $1000 per month for extended soldiers.
            3. Ultra fast promotions(another pay increase), point/awards accumulated while in the AO.
            4. Military discounts on cars,restuarants, entertainment, etc,
            5. The most relevant one. Free education as well as training/skilled trades for military occupation speciality.

In the overrall picture military vs civilian pay grade vs pay grade unless you are at or above 100k per year overall military compensation> civilian job.[/QUOTE
            i didnt want to respond to this but w.e. promotions arent automatic and u need time in before u can move up. you pay taxes and get mostof it back

you can get me on aim if u want THAFLOOREDACCORD

Comment

Originally posted by floored
              i didnt want to respond to this but w.e. promotions arent automatic and u need time in before u can move up. you pay taxes and get mostof it back

you can get me on aim if u want THAFLOOREDACCORD

They snuck one in there I see. I paid zero taxes. No one in our unit did, people were reenlisiting out there because the 15K bonus was tax free.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                national guard = purpose is to help the nation not the rest of the world. fuck the rest, we have enough problems here.

join the peace corps and dont fight someone else's war.
                The Fed gorvernments control of the national guard should be taken away imo. national guard are originally state militias and should be state controlled.

Comment

Originally posted by Fake Thug View Post
                  The Fed gorvernments control of the national guard should be taken away imo. national guard are originally state militias and should be state controlled.
                  Yeah but thats not the topic. Stick to the topic.
                  My dad says that its tax free, but maybe there is some bs somewhere in there? idk, but my dad should be writing me on monday to let me know whats up.
                  (RIP)1993 LX Sedan

My (old) Ride

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
                    Oh yeah, compared to Vietnam, the death rate is considerably lower. We're also not seeking out an actively advancing enemy. There is no real front line.

Still, the risk of going to war compared to not going to war is fairly significant. You can't get killed in Iraq if you don't go to Iraq. If money is the only concern, there are other ways to earn money. Work 3 jobs. You'll still have more time to see your friends and enjoy life at home than you would in Iraq... because you'd be far far away from all those things over there.
                    Deev......... you stand a higher risk of getting smeared on a highway stateside than you getting killed in Iraq. Seriously......... You can get killed anywhere, lol.

As for the money..... as an E4 with three in when I went, I think I made 36ish? Somewhere right around there. But like others have said, don't join up just for money, join because you want to do it. NOW, once you're in, if you want to deploy for the money, then by all means, be my guest, lol. Just remember, in the Army, Aviation is where it's at.

- Rob -
                    92 Auto Sedan - "Rustoration"
                    85 Toyota 4Runner
                    1977 Kawasaki KZ1000/ZX6/10R Hybrid
                    2008 HD 1200N
                    2009 HD 883N

Comment

Originally posted by 203Cree View Post
                      Deev......... you stand a higher risk of getting smeared on a highway stateside than you getting killed in Iraq. Seriously......... You can get killed anywhere, lol.

As for the money..... as an E4 with three in when I went, I think I made 36ish? Somewhere right around there. But like others have said, don't join up just for money, join because you want to do it. NOW, once you're in, if you want to deploy for the money, then by all means, be my guest, lol. Just remember, in the Army, Aviation is where it's at.
                      Why aviation?
                      (RIP)1993 LX Sedan

My (old) Ride

Comment

Originally posted by 203Cree View Post
                        Yeah, but my point is that it's an unnecessary action taken in a dangerous direction. Yes, you can get killed anywhere... but going to war only adds to that. If the act of joining the military and going to war isn't the intention, and just a means to an end, it's unnecessarily dangerous.

War may be much safer now... and maybe only 1 out of 50,000 die (I pulled that number out of my ass... it's not a statistic, merely used for illustrative purposes). Still, if you're that one, it really doesn't matter how many survived.

As for aviation... they don't put idiots in the air. That's an automatic badge of "I'm not an idiot" that will serve you well.

Comment

True dat...
                          (RIP)1993 LX Sedan

My (old) Ride

Comment

Bottom line... don't do it just for the money. There are safer and more profitable ways to make money. If being a soldier is what you want to do with your life, then go for it. It's honorable, respectable, and valuable training. If a college education and a few bucks in your pocket is all you desire, there are much better options.

Comment

well im thinking about joining too. somewhat im doing it for the money, but i know this will set a base for my life's journey.

Comment

You cant beat 20K on entry. That and it pays for school, but yes the training is incredibly useful. Maybe most people just say "oh ill do some pushups and situps and get rich" and then get out, but Im certain they realize how valuble BCT and AIT are, not to mention whatever MOS they take pretty much has a real world equivalent.
                                Thats what makes it a great oppurtunity more than anything else.
                                (RIP)1993 LX Sedan

My (old) Ride

Comment

Working...
                                X