Damn fruit flies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn fruit flies!

What the hell, we saw a couple fruit flies about oh, 4 days ago. Last night when I came home, my wife said that she had killed 4 of them throughout the day. I said OK, no biggie. I kid you not, within 5 minutes, I had killed 10 of those fuckers and she had killed about 5. So I set up a "trap" with a small container, plastic wrap over the top, apple cider vinegar in the container, small holes in the top. No joke, within 3 or 4 minutes, there was 2 inside and 3 on the outside. I tried killing all the ones on the outside and then drowned the ones that went in.

Went to sleep....woke up this morning, was taking my morning shit and within 20 seconds I had killed 5 that were in the bathroom. Brushed my teeth, killed one on the mirror.

Came out to the kitchen where I had the trap set up. 5 are inside the trap. I knocked all of them down into the vinegar and drowned them.

What the fuck can I do about this? We don't buy fruit, all of our veggies are in the fridge. We leave nothing sitting out at night, or even throughout the day. All the garbage is taken out every other day. We've never had this problem before. It just started a few days ago. Are these little assholes attracted to flypaper? Because I'll plaster my house with some if they'll go land on it.
    VIP Status.

vacuum cleaner.
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Pour some Drano down all of your drains. I've heard they can somehow live in there. Other than that, set up a few more apple cider vinegar traps and keep swatting away. If you keep your outside trash can near your house, try moving it further away. And I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard that if you fill a plastic bag (like a ziplock bag or something) with water and hang it over your door, they won't come in. It's supposed to confuse them somehow. I don't get it or know if it works, but it's worth a try I guess.

-Heather-
      www.myspace.com/mmmpeaches
      www.502streetscene.net

Comment

Ill try that Drano....wonder if the foaming kind will work better or what. Before I left work, I smashed 2 more of them in the bathroom. Hopefully they gtfo. Its pissing me off. They probably came from the people under us. Always having fuckin garbage on their back porch, have filthy ass cats running wild and a dog, leaving bags of dog shit on their porch. The flies probably got in through our screen door or when I went to storage. I think the people below us are going to get evicted anyways. Good riddance.
        VIP Status.

Comment

We had problems with these at work.
          We set up a few of these:

They were gone in a few days.

1999 BMW M3
          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

I used to have a few venus fly traps....my wifes terrified of them though, Lol.

Are those Victor traps the sticky tubes or what?
            VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
              Are those Victor traps the sticky tubes or what?
              It's a "ribbon" tpye trap.
              You pull the bottom out, and it a sticky ribbon.
              I'll try to find pics with them pulled out.

Edit: You can kind of get the idea here:

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

I see....ill see if I can find them. I just want them the fuck out of my house
                VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                  I see....ill see if I can find them. I just want them the fuck out of my house
                  I bought them from WalMart.
                  It was like $5 for the pack of 4.

1999 BMW M3
                  2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                  2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                  2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Do you keep your house clean. Do you empty out your garbage often and clean the very inside and pour draino down the drain? any moldy or musty damp areas they tend to love. Keep things clean perhaps some lysol aswell it keep them away.

Comment

Check under your oven and fridge, and any other areas where food may have fallen.

The drain is most likely, though... especially if you have a garbage disposal. Food particles and dark, damp areas are just asking for fruit flies. Also, if you have any flowers in the house that may be on the way out, they could attract them as well.

If you have a garbage disposal in your sink, do the Drano bit, and pour some coffee grounds down there. That cleans it out safely.

Comment

do think these methods would work for mosquitoes? we didnt have a/c in the house for a month(broke but now fixed) and ever since then we cant get rid of them. we get the occasional gnat but mostly them damn skeeters!!!

no
                        Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                        $30 HID kits here Thread
                        "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                        "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

H22sparkle, naw bro I'm super filthy. Shit, dude my wife and I are probably the cleanest people you'll ever meet. She cleans every damn day...I tell her its ridiculous and she doesn't need to but she does it anyways. Vacuuming everyday, organizing, dusting, cleaning the stove, dishes, bathroom, laundry, all that. Trash taken out every other day. I don't get it.

And deev, yea we have a disposal in the sink. Ill do the drano when I get home. There aren't any damp places around except for maybe the bathtub and the sinks. Ill have a look under the fridge, pull out the drip pan and see if there's anything, etc.

I talked to her a bit ago and she said there are more flies in that vinegar trap and she's killed 4 of them in the air. So whatever the fuck happened, these assholes fucked like crazy and they're coming out. I swear there better not be too many more.

Do you know if those bug bombs/foggers work for these things?
                          VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                            do think these methods would work for mosquitoes? we didnt have a/c in the house for a month(broke but now fixed) and ever since then we cant get rid of them. we get the occasional gnat but mostly them damn skeeters!!!
                            Mosquitos love the damn water. When I lived in TX there were a bunch around our house, so I put out plastic containers with water in them and a squirt or two of dish soap and left them out there. Don't make it bubble up, just squirt the soap in. When they come and land on the water, the soap will pull them to the bottom and they'll drown
                            VIP Status.

Comment

http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/fruit_fly.htm

Something to ponder on. Might give you some ideas.
                              3 CB's gone....
                              1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Working...
                              X