Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volkswagen Jetta TDI Cup

Good day CB7Tuners!

I, Gary Rogers, The G-Man, has been selected to attend the driver selection event for a spot in the Volkswagen Jetta TDI cup.

The TDI cup is a racing series for amateur drivers sponsored by Volkswagen and sanctioned by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). It is billed as the first "green" racing series, and the inaugural season was last year (2008). It is a spec series, meaning all drivers drive identical stock Volkswagen Jetta TDI cars equipped with the DSG transmission. There are obviously modifications for driver safety including a roll cage and seat. All the cars also use racing compound tires.

The series is open to applicants 16-26 years old, who do not already hold a competition license. It is billed as a development series, with all drivers attending driving classes before each race.

Here is the catch, each driver must pay a fee of $45,000 at the beginning of the season. This covers the costs of the cars, transportation to and from each track, entry fees for races, safety equipment, and other things.

$15,000 of the $45,000 entry fee is due prior to attending the driver selection event, if I cannot get the funds by this time I would not be allowed to the selection event. If I go to the event and I am not selected as one of the 30 drivers, the $15,000 gets refunded.

At this time, as a college student, it is not economically feasible for me or my immediate family to pay the $45,000 or even the $15,000 on such a short notice, and that is why I am reaching out to all the CB7Tuners around the world.

The driver selection event is February 1-4 at Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, CA.
    Here is a press release from the SCCA about the 2009 season:
    http://www.scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=4&news=3528

Thanks all for your help and support,
    Gary C. Rogers
    The G-Man

note to mods: if this is deemed inappropriate, please lock and delete.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

If you can raise $45,000 by appealing to the good graces of the CB7tuner community, go for it! I don't think I've been able to wring any more than $2000 out of these tightwads in the past 4 years (I say that in jest... we all know I live like a king on the profits generated by CB7tuner... in fact, I'm typing this from my platinum iPhone while sitting in the passenger seat of my Ferrari, while my supermodel girlfriend is driving)

That is awesome though. Kinda funny that they chose the TDI... I mean, come on... slow-ass turbo diesel? The new ones are better than the old, but still...
    Do you get to keep the car, I hope?

One word: SPONSORSHIP!
    Get your ass sponsored. Or sell "free" airline tickets I heard some of the boys want to go to Puerto Rico...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
      If you can raise $45,000 by appealing to the good graces of the CB7tuner community, go for it! I don't think I've been able to wring any more than $2000 out of these tightwads in the past 4 years (I say that in jest... we all know I live like a king on the profits generated by CB7tuner... in fact, I'm typing this from my platinum iPhone while sitting in the passenger seat of my Ferrari, while my supermodel girlfriend is driving)

That is awesome though. Kinda funny that they chose the TDI... I mean, come on... slow-ass turbo diesel? The new ones are better than the old, but still...
      Do you get to keep the car, I hope?

One word: SPONSORSHIP!
      Get your ass sponsored. Or sell "free" airline tickets I heard some of the boys want to go to Puerto Rico...
      Well, it is not like this is the only place I am begging for money.

Actually, the cars are not all that slow. They have 140 hp and 268 lbs/ft of torque. Not that fast, but there have been slower.

No, I would not get to keep the car either.

If selected, I can obtain a max of 6 sponsors for the season.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

$45,000 and you can't keep the car? Bogus!

If you want to get serious into racing though, that's where you want to be.
        I'll see if there's anything I can scrape together for you. CB7tuner can be an unofficial sponsor (since you'll want REAL money for those 6 allowed slots!)

I drove an 04 TDI. Felt like a Civic. Not slow... but not fast. At all.
        But then again, the playing field will be even. Slow is safer with inexperienced drivers. And skill comes into play even more with slow cars to an extent.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
          $45,000 and you can't keep the car? Bogus!

If you want to get serious into racing though, that's where you want to be.
          I'll see if there's anything I can scrape together for you. CB7tuner can be an unofficial sponsor (since you'll want REAL money for those 6 allowed slots!)

I drove an 04 TDI. Felt like a Civic. Not slow... but not fast. At all.
          But then again, the playing field will be even. Slow is safer with inexperienced drivers. And skill comes into play even more with slow cars to an extent.
          And the inexperience shows. I watched all of last season, and the first race was rough.
          Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

wow are you serious? im not even gonna say anything....

no
            Accord turbo kit under $2k here
            $30 HID kits here Thread
            "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
            "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

id rather just race my own car with that amount of money.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

wow! congrats! you gotta start somwhere.vw not too bad of cars as long you got your own mechanic LOL.

once you start racing make a thread and keep us updated
                1991 White Accord LX 5-speed aka Lil' Red

Comment

Originally posted by Lil' Whitie View Post
                  wow! congrats! you gotta start somwhere.vw not too bad of cars as long you got your own mechanic LOL.

once you start racing make a thread and keep us updated
                  he cant go unless he gots 45k.

just get a loan or something

no
                  Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                  $30 HID kits here Thread
                  "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                  "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

Nice - but, what is in it for you? Do you get monetary rewards for winning each race? Do the sponsors help cover the cost? I've never been involved in something like this, just seems kind of daunting to come up with that amount of money - I don't think I've made that much in the last 2 years working full time!

Comment

Originally posted by Law Grandeur View Post
                      he cant go unless he gots 45k.

just get a loan or something
                      My mortgage is for $65,000... over 30 years. Most people on here probably don't make $45,000 in a single year. A loan for that amount would be a VERY unwise decision. Especially if he loses and gets nothing from the race!

Sponsors help financially. Especially in a spec race, you're not looking for free parts. Any "sponsor" that doesn't assist with the expenses is not a sponsor!

6 sponsors allowed. That means you could get roughly $7000 each and be good. If you hit up the right companies, that might be doable.

Rather than asking for money, your best bet is to ask for good sponsor suggestions.

When do you need the $15,000 by?

Comment

45,000$ your insane! lol.

At least I have been where VW are made. LOL! idk

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                          Nice - but, what is in it for you? Do you get monetary rewards for winning each race? Do the sponsors help cover the cost? I've never been involved in something like this, just seems kind of daunting to come up with that amount of money - I don't think I've made that much in the last 2 years working full time!
                          It is professional racing, and there is a purse for each race. The season points winner also wins $100,000. Many other race teams are looking at this series for up and coming drivers as well.

And as for racing your own car, it would be very difficult to race 10 races, including the prep of the car for $45,000. Road racing is not cheap.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter

Comment

Hey bro I wish you luck.....If I was still workin like I was last summer Id throw a grand or so your way.....chances like these only come around so often and you gotta take advantage while you can.

Plus how awesome would it be if the G-man came famous and we helped him get his start lol

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

For 45k, you could easily obtain an American Sedan car for the SCCA. I've found prepped 5.0's for 5-9k all over.

And you could say you don't race a VW! LOL just playing.

But if I was spending 45k to race, it wouldn't be an automatic Jetta. (aren't they automatic? I watched some races last year, didn't see them shifting, and they had the selected gear indicator in the gauges.)
                              "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                              "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                              Disregard females, acquire currency
                              BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Working...
                              X