This is BS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is BS

Heres the story. first off I work(worked) for a honda dealership where I live as a Honda tech. This past saturday I replaced the lower ball joint on a 03 civic which requires you to remove the whole steering knuckle and repalce it with a new knuckle and brearing. So I had somebody help me press in the bearing because I couldn't find all the right pieces to use for the press.

Anyways, get the bearing and hub pressed back in and reinstalled all the parts I took off. Cv axle, brake caliper, etc..etc. I put the cv axle back into the assembly and put the axle nut back on and tightened it down with my impact.This is were it gets better. I remember tighten it down because I had to put my impact on it three times because the dimples on the axle and the axle nut wasn't lining up quite just right. I remebered this because I had a problem with them lining up.

I put the wheel back on and test drove it about 6-7 miles no noise, no problem. Well yesterday I guess the girl picked up her car and got half way home and she said it was making a noise and was scared to drive it. So she had it towed back in. Nobody told me she came back or anything.

so my forman takes a look at it and calls me over after about 45mins. he has the tire off and shows me the axle nut. its finger tight!!

i remember tightening it like it was just a few hours ago. no way i left it loose. i have never done anything like that before ever.

me and my forman has never really seen eye to eye ever since i started working there. i kinda feel like i was set up. usually if something like that happens there the tech who messed up gets the car back or he is involved in the diag part of what happened so you know what happened and where you messed up at. that didn't happen.

Well long story short. I was fired for leaving the axle nut loose even tho I remember tighting it and they are tring to make me pay for the towing and the new bearing. I didn't sign the write up which started a whole other deal because I knew I did the right thing the first time. They have been messin with me for the past five or six months now tring to get me to quit, but I wouldn't. I know better. Can't collect unemployment if you quit.

I have moved on and I think that I have another job at another Honda dealership just further out. I had talked to this dealership about three or four weeks ago. I think I'll be straight until I find something else.

Just thought i'd share this little occurance with you guys.
    Last edited by jc32; 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM.
    Do not be the lonely nail sticking out, for I will be the hammer that puts you back in your place.

Axles nuts on hondas require 180 ft/lbs of torque. (at least that the the CB needs)

Did you use a torque wrench on it?

I'm guessing your impact gun has nowhere near the correct amount of torque and that's why after X miles it loosened up.
    members/ride | the/website
    180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

Not trying to be a dick but as a fellow tech it sounds like the bearing may not have been pressed in far enough. You had trouble tightening the axle nut because of it.
      It was tight at the time but after driving it for awhile the bearing bottomed out thus resulting in a lose axle nut.

Questions - What kind of gun are you using?
      - how old is your gun?
      - What was the shop pressure?

They were assholes for not calling you over the second the car came back in the shop. The tech should always be called over even if it is a retarded comeback like say. "I just had an oil change and now I hear a clunk on my left side"

Comment

190lbs of tighten and 220 comin off. i've done those many times and never had a problem. now i didn't dimple it and i thought that might have caused it to back off, but my forman and service manager said that wouldn't have caused it to back off.
        Do not be the lonely nail sticking out, for I will be the hammer that puts you back in your place.

Comment

Why didn't you dimple it?
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
            yeah, thats what i was going to say.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by ATS666 View Post
              Not trying to be a dick but as a fellow tech it sounds like the bearing may not have been pressed in far enough. You had trouble tightening the axle nut because of it.
              It was tight at the time but after driving it for awhile the bearing bottomed out thus resulting in a lose axle nut.

Questions - What kind of gun are you using?
              - how old is your gun?
              - What was the shop pressure?

They were assholes for not calling you over the second the car came back in the shop. The tech should always be called over even if it is a retarded comeback like say. "I just had an oil change and now I hear a clunk on my left side"
              yea i thought the same but when he took the knuckle off i got a chance to see it and to me it looked like it was all the way in. i didn't get a chance to listen to it or anything. they just replaced it without me knowing anything.

i am using a three year old mac composite that i oil every day(almost).
              my shop is so cheap and messed up we couldn't tell what the shop pressure is. hell we're lucky if somebody drained the tanks every once and awhile. the alignment machine is an old 1980 hunter that they wouldn't get rid of. you can't even get any updates for it to do 2005 and up cars.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
                i never dimpled the axle nuts unless they were new or bent way far out and never had a problem. it only takes the one time. i guess thats were i messed up at. but the way it all went down is just weird.

Comment

Even if you stacked the nut it would have been loose if the bearing was not fully seated when installed. Sure the nut wouldn't have come off but it still would have made noise when the bearing fully seated while driving.

Air pressure gauges are cheap, add a fitting and it pops onto your airline.

My currant shop (5 years and running) runs 160-190psi. 3 big ass air tanks, the main tank has a automatic drain on it and the other 2 are manual.

Depending on how hard you pound your gun 3 years could be its lifespan. I still have my 6 year old IR 2131 TI (case is worn, all buttons will fall out if not carefull but it still pounds) and a 3-4 year old IR 2135 TI that I use as a back up.

If something is stuburn at my shop thankfully we have 3/4 drive and 1" drive guns on hand.

Comment

what ever happen to a breaker bar and a tq wrench? lmao i wouldnt know, but hope you find a better shop

Comment

Originally posted by ATS666 View Post
                      Even if you stacked the nut it would have been loose if the bearing was not fully seated when installed. Sure the nut wouldn't have come off but it still would have made noise when the bearing fully seated while driving.

Air pressure gauges are cheap, add a fitting and it pops onto your airline.

My currant shop (5 years and running) runs 160-190psi. 3 big ass air tanks, the main tank has a automatic drain on it and the other 2 are manual.

Depending on how hard you pound your gun 3 years could be its lifespan. I still have my 6 year old IR 2131 TI (case is worn, all buttons will fall out if not carefull but it still pounds) and a 3-4 year old IR 2135 TI that I use as a back up.

If something is stuburn at my shop thankfully we have 3/4 drive and 1" drive guns on hand.
                      yea i had thought about buying one of those air pressure gauges. i tried to find the one with the adjustable pressure tho.
                      somebody that i work with bought one of those 1" drives but the shop didn't provide or have some of the practical things a shop should provide.we were suppose to have preloaded tq bars for things like the drain bolt and oil filter that honda required. did my shop provide the set that honda sells. NOPE. but bitched about things like hourly people not clocking in and out for lunch and not wanting to give them their overtime or not cleaning the power steering fluid resivoir when you did some type of service.they went as far as telling people that if they forgot to clock out at the end of the day then they would get fined $100 per time.
                      this was the first shop i've seen or been to that was managed f'd up. they were worried about all the wrong things. they made promises that they never kept. they are actually in danger of loosing three good techs one of which has been working on hondas for 12 years. thay ran a guy who had worked for them for 26 years off because of they way they do things.
                      oh well i've moved on.

thanks for the insight also.
                      Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
                      what ever happen to a breaker bar and a tq wrench? lmao i wouldnt know, but hope you find a better shop
                      i used a tq stick and my impact. thanks bro.
                      i already have recieved a call from another honda shop so i have no worries right now. they tried to hire me months ago while i was working for those asshats. if i was smart i would have went.

Comment

Well when you tightened the axle after replacing it did you put the grove back in on the axle nut to prevent it from turning on its own? Man honestly that sounds like a setup. Did you at anytime leave the car there to go to the bathroom or anything?

Comment

The idea that someone has sabbotaged you is all speculation. Unless someone slips and admits that they tried to mess with you, ultimately the blame is gonna fall on your shoulders. Secondly, I don't mean to sound condescending but you probably should've made the dimple on the nut. If my job were on the line and a persons safety as well, you better believe I'd be taking all the necessary precaution to ENSURE nothing happens, atleast on my behalf.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by jc32 View Post
                            Heres the story. first off I work(worked) for a honda dealership where I live as a Honda tech. This past saturday I replaced the lower ball joint on a 03 civic which requires you to remove the whole steering knuckle and repalce it with a new knuckle and brearing. So I had somebody help me press in the bearing because I couldn't find all the right pieces to use for the press.

Anyways, get the bearing and hub pressed back in and reinstalled all the parts I took off. Cv axle, brake caliper, etc..etc. I put the cv axle back into the assembly and put the axle nut back on and tightened it down with my impact.This is were it gets better. I remember tighten it down because I had to put my impact on it three times because the dimples on the axle and the axle nut wasn't lining up quite just right. I remebered this because I had a problem with them lining up.

I put the wheel back on and test drove it about 6-7 miles no noise, no problem. Well yesterday I guess the girl picked up her car and got half way home and she said it was making a noise and was scared to drive it. So she had it towed back in. Nobody told me she came back or anything.

so my forman takes a look at it and calls me over after about 45mins. he has the tire off and shows me the axle nut. its finger tight!!

i remember tightening it like it was just a few hours ago. no way i left it loose. i have never done anything like that before ever.

me and my forman has never really seen eye to eye ever since i started working there. i kinda feel like i was set up. usually if something like that happens there the tech who messed up gets the car back or he is involved in the diag part of what happened so you know what happened and where you messed up at. that didn't happen.

Well long story short. I was fired for leaving the axle nut loose even tho I remember tighting it and they are tring to make me pay for the towing and the new bearing. I didn't sign the write up which started a whole other deal because I knew I did the right thing the first time. They have been messin with me for the past five or six months now tring to get me to quit, but I wouldn't. I know better. Can't collect unemployment if you quit.

I have moved on and I think that I have another job at another Honda dealership just further out. I had talked to this dealership about three or four weeks ago. I think I'll be straight until I find something else.

Just thought i'd share this little occurance with you guys.
                            You were setup imo.Doesn't matter that you possibly fukked up a bearing job. I have had the exact same thing happen at my shop to a buddy. I know whats its like not to get along with the foreman and his A team. We've had guys do much much much worse than what happend with you.

One member of the A team had a truck go out and front drive axle, left wheel came off while on the freeway. He didn't seat the bearing right or use the proper torque sequence and this guy is considered an A level mechanic.You wanna talk about public relations nightmare for the company as well as the shop? DOT all over the place, shuts down the highway. He got a slap on the wrist.

Another member had a truck go out RIGHT AFTER he pm'ed it. It didn't even get 5 miles down the road and the stop engine light came on and the engine shut down. 44 quarts of oil all over the road. Why? The oil plug came out.

The same guy the had the duels come off of the freeway also set a yard truck on fire because he left a battery ground hanging. It arced the metal chassis and ignited the whole fucking truck. Still there to this day. Now if my ass ever did something like that I'm postive I would be gone. Its been like this for 3 years now. I totally know where you are coming from man. I know whats its like to ahve to deal with tht kind of clicquery/douchebaggery.

Comment

Originally posted by LinX View Post
                              The idea that someone has sabbotaged you is all speculation. Unless someone slips and admits that they tried to mess with you, ultimately the blame is gonna fall on your shoulders. Secondly, I don't mean to sound condescending but you probably should've made the dimple on the nut. If my job were on the line and a persons safety as well, you better believe I'd be taking all the necessary precaution to ENSURE nothing happens, atleast on my behalf.
                              yea i understand that when it comes to someones safety. thats my second mistake ever in the 4 years i've been there. the dimple wouldn't have stopped it from backing off like they said it did. now whether i was setup or not is somethin diff. the forman and me didn't really get along since high school days and even then i would hate to think he stooped that low to get me out of there, even tho he didn't want me there from jump.
                              he was the one to get the car when it came back and usually the tech who worked on the car gets it back or is there in the diag of what happened. i did not or was not informed until after he had the car for almost an hour and he was in the process of taking things apart to replace a part in question was good or bad. i've seen them in action before when they don't want someone there anymore. they find anything or set them up for some petty BS and then they're gone. i'm not saying thats necc what happened to me but it's a little fun how it all went down.

Comment

Working...
                              X