Jobs...Jobs...Jobs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jobs...Jobs...Jobs....

First off I never blog. This will probly be the only time you see this but I gotta see what other people think.

So I have been a volunteer firefighter/emt for about 8yrs now. I have been trying to get a job as a paid firefighter for quite a while but it always seems that I'm not connected to the right people, not related to, or just not kissing a$$ to the right people.

I went for an interview in April to a fire dept at Fort Bragg Military Base. It went well and I received the job offer. I will be a civilian firefighter on the base and make VERY good money. The catch is I am required to take atleast 2 classes per semester towards getting my bachlors degree, and maintain a 2.5GPA or higher to stay employed. No big deal there. Right now I am on my 3rd week waiting for them to schedule me a time to go take a drug test and have a physical done (aka doc gets to poke and prod at me).

In the mean time I have still been applying at other places, because well I have to cover my a$$ no matter what and nothing is set in stone as of yet.

It is 9:17am right now and I have an interview at 11am at a small department but I know 2 guys that already work there. I aced their PT test a few weeks ago, and their written exam. So now I have an interview. The pay is ok, not the best, but better than I'm making right now with my current job. This would be no strings attached except getting my rescue technician certification (which I'll have to do where-ever I get a job) and water rescue certifications.

So my plan is ofcourse to accept whatever gets offered to me because this is a job that I love and have wanted since I was a kid. If Fort Bragg calls me and I get the tests done and pass (which I should have no problems) then I will gladly accept it. I would be forced to get my education if I wanted to keep my job, and be making great money. Then tell the smalled dept. thanks for the opportunity and I appreciate the offer but this other job has been in the works much longer.

I know that this will leave a bad taste in the smaller dept mouth and if I ever did try to go back there that I probly won't have a snowballs chance in hell.

Starting Pay:
    ------Gov't Job: $43,xxx (pay for college out of my pocket)
    ------Smaller Dept: $29,xxx (no college)

What you guys think? Well it doesn't matter because I've already made up my mind. Just wanted to vent for a bit. Gotta leave in about 5min to make sure I'm on time.

Later guys.
    -keith
    -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
    -1993 Accord EX SOLD
    -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
    -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

i hate fort brag!

sounds like the gov't job is the best route... you say they are forcing you to get your ed.. thats a good thing! sometimes you have to burn bridges.

how do you become a volunteer firefighter..i have thought about doing that cuz i hate cops a lot of x mil become cops after they get out..i respect EMT's and firefighters the most... ive never been harrassed by a firefighter or EMT plus i can tell the ladies im a firefighter.... score!

Comment

I'd take the $43k and college education(even tho you gotta pay for it)
      1993 Accord LX - Sold
      93 BMW 525it - SOLD
      92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
      2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
      2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
      2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
      2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
      2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Def go w/the more $$$ plan

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic View Post
          i hate fort brag!

sounds like the gov't job is the best route... you say they are forcing you to get your ed.. thats a good thing! sometimes you have to burn bridges.

how do you become a volunteer firefighter..i have thought about doing that cuz i hate cops a lot of x mil become cops after they get out..i respect EMT's and firefighters the most... ive never been harrassed by a firefighter or EMT plus i can tell the ladies im a firefighter.... score!
          Becoming a volunteer isn't hard. Go to your local fire station and ask about it. They may not have volunteers depending on the size of the area, it maybe an all paid dept. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
          Last edited by GunRunner; 06-03-2009, 03:08 PM.
          -1993 Accord EX SOLD
          -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

You have to do you, Keith.

Employers still have to understand that their employees still can get better opportunities elsewhere. It's so fvcked up how employers exploit this current economic standing with a "You're lucky to have a job period" mentality.

You don't owe that smaller dept any loyalty. Take that job for the time being and when that govt/college job calls your name, jump aboard!

Well I guess that doesn't matter since you have already made up your mind.

Comment

Work towards your bachelors. Think of it as an investment
              My Car
              FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Interview went good. May know something today.
                -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

more $$ and college would be the way to go
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Shit being a VFF is the fucking shit. You get an adrenaline rush everytime your pager goes off. Around here they give you a number and a pager and girls always ask what "629" is. Ill say oh yea...im a fire fighter...I save lives. Then they will tell you that you can save their life anytime. Plus I could haul ass through town with my wagon lit up like a x-mas tree and go like 30 mph over the speed limit.

Comment

Well...I got the job. They just called me a few minutes ago. So as my plan was I accepted.
                      -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                      -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

congratulations

who's real ? who's fake ? that's the people I hate

Comment

Originally posted by GunRunner View Post
                          Well...I got the job.
                          Congrats Keith.

1999 BMW M3
                          2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                          2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                          2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

i currently work as a paid ff/emt. does the job you accept have a civilian contract, or are you just there until you retire? either way, its a great job.

to the guy going 30mph over the speed limit, you sir are a jackass. putting yourself and others that are on the road at risk is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lecco View Post
                              congratulations
                              Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                              Congrats Keith.
                              thanks guys.

It's great in a way, but at the same time is a headache.

I now have 2 jobs offered to me.
                              ---------
                              I want the Gov't job for more reasons than just money (although the money will be nice). Gotta look at gov't benefits, 20yr retirement (I could retire at 43 ), education, and ofcourse the money again.

At the smaller dept. the pay is less, no education requirement (which means I'ma probly be lazy), less room for advancement, and a 30yr retirement.
                              ----------
                              I been trying to get in touch with my contact for the gov't job and tell him I haven't heard anything about scheduling a physical or drug test, but he is off today (go figure).

The dept that made the job offer to me today has already given me the telephone number of their physician and wants me to call and setup an appointment for next week.
                              ----------

I do not want to start working at the smaller dept then say sorry but I had this other in the works before you so I'm out. Even though that might be what happens.

The biggest part of why I don't want to do that is I know 2 guys that work there and they have kinda talked me up to the Chief and I would hate to make them look bad or ruin it for someone else they know that may want to apply.
                              -----------

Glad I have my CB7 family to vent to.
                              -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                              -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X