Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I owned property in Canada, could I register and insure a car there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cuz theyre the ultimate street car, duh.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

umm ya tell that to the guy operating the crusher at the wrecking yard

Comment

Ok, locked... I didn't intend for this to turn into a discussion as to why I want a particular car. I happen to like it. That is all.

Now I don't care. In fact, I'm in the mood to ban some people. Thanks.

Comment

I'm just going to chime in here. I missed the thread before it was closed.

Deev, I'm heading up to Canada, as you know. I don't THINK you need to own land. My fiance and I are going to be renting an Apartment and we intend to buy a car. You may need residency, however. Residency is a pain in the ass. I just completed my application and it cost about $1500 all together.

That said, if you're serious we could probably work something out (or not, whatever ). My name would (probably?) have to go on the title. Insurance would have to be in my name too with you as a secondary.

Sounds like a can of worms to me but it's your call :P
          My Car
          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

A bunch of people came through with info and suggestions for me, so I guess I'll reopen this! I'll just ban anyone that causes trouble... because I'm really not in the mood for childish nonsense in my thread.

But yeah, Matt... that'd probably be a headache. Titling it, insuring it, storing it... And since it'd be my car under your name... if something happened, it could cause problems. The best way to end a friendship is to involve money!

Plus, with all it would take to buy it, store it, and get to it when I wanted it... I could just pay what it would take for one in the US (at least a GTS-T... GTRs are still insanely priced)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Well, if I own land in Canada, it'd be a Canadian car. Registered and insured there, with my property being my mailing address there. I would go for an R32, as they are older than 15 years, and quite inexpensive. I wouldn't attempt to import it into the US. However, I could still "visit" my home here with it I think there may be limits on how long I could keep it here, though. I might have to drive back to my Canadian property every now and then.
              A bunch of people came through with info and suggestions for me, so I guess I'll reopen this! I'll just ban anyone that causes trouble... because I'm really not in the mood for childish nonsense in my thread.

But yeah, Matt... that'd probably be a headache. Titling it, insuring it, storing it... And since it'd be my car under your name... if something happened, it could cause problems. The best way to end a friendship is to involve money!

Plus, with all it would take to buy it, store it, and get to it when I wanted it... I could just pay what it would take for one in the US (at least a GTS-T... GTRs are still insanely priced)
              Unless I adopt you...

It'd be unconventional but if you seriously want one we could probably work something out. If it'd just be in my name/insurance with you on as secondary and you paid all bills you could probably park it at your house. Put it under a cover when not in use. Just pray I don't report it stolen

It'd be a pain but I think that's about the only way to do it... off of the top of my head. I will be able to tell you more in about a year when we buy a car.
              My Car

Comment

I've read that when you bring a car over the border, you have a limited amount of time where it is allowed in the US. I don't know any details about that, though.

Comment

The customs officers don't put a stamp on your car so there's no proof of when you brought it over. Your passport is also not stamped when you cross the boarder. There's no proof unless the authorities set up a video camera on your car.
                  My Car

Comment

Thats what im thinking. They might keep record of when you leave/enter the country, but i dont think they actually have a REAL way of keeping tabs on you.

I still say if you're gonna buy land and/or build a house, you should use it and live there for more than a week.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                    Originally posted by Jarrett
                    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Im pretty sure homeland security dosent give a fuck about deevs "super illegal sports car" being in the states for xx amount of days. The Canadian and American border dont even communicate that well with each other, let alone synchronize catching deev for extending his stay when he crosses.

I have had a Canadian say that my car is now property of the "Crown" for "trying to smuggle in a new car without paying taxes". I told him I didnt want to be in his shitty country and let me go back to the states.....That ended up in me getting searched and sitting in a cell and questioned from 2-5am. lol

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

In Alberta we have several importers who specialize in importing JDM cars here. My roommate had a RHD 1990 Fairlady twin turbo, and on a daily basis I see Skylines,Silvias and Soarers here in Lethbridge. One guy I work with has a RHD Soarer with a 2JZ in it and 19" Racing Harts. Soooo sick.

Cars have to be 15 years or older to import here. Alberta is one of the easiest and cheapest provinces to register vehicles in as well.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                          Why are you "garaging" it anyways?

Lots of people register thier cars "up north" to avoid emisions tests. Guess what, theres not a huge garage there either.

If all you need is a mailing address, thats the easiest fix.
                          ha..I did that when I lived in Ontario. I lived in a town that required emissions testing, but the next town over didn't. We had property in that town, so I just got a PO box at the post office and changed my address to that and registered my truck using that address.

It's technically fraud, but it is a legal loop in the system.

Comment

I've read that when you bring a car over the border, you have a limited amount of time where it is allowed in the US. I don't know any details about that, though.
                            i believe that is true...but not enforced, the guy across the street from me is from washington, his car is insured in america, but it stays in BC. AFAIK every 6 months the car needs to re-enter the states....now like i said...i doubt its enforced...but whatever...no way of them ever finding out.
                            ..[CB7][STAR]..
                            MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Working...
                            X