Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Acetone and get more MPG's

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

Acetone (CH3COCH3) is a product that can be purchased inexpensively in most locations around the world, such as in the common hardware, auto parts, or drug store. Added to the fuel tank in tiny amounts, acetone aids in the vaporization of the gasoline or diesel, increasing fuel efficiency, engine longevity, and performance -- as well as reducing hydrocarbon emissions.

How it Works

Complete vaporization of fuel is far from perfect in today's cars and trucks. A certain amount of residual fuel in most engines remains liquid in the hot chamber. In order to be fully combusted, the fuel must be fully vaporized.

Surface tension presents an obstacle to vaporization. For instance the energy barrier from surface tension can sometimes force water to reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit before it vaporizes. Similarly with gasoline.

Acetone drastically reduces the surface tension. Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension. This results in a more complete vaporization with other factors remaining the same. More complete vaporization means less wasted fuel, hence the increased gas mileage from the increased thermal efficiency.

That excess fuel was formerly wasted past the rings or sent out the tailpipe but when mixed with acetone it gets burned, though the engine still thinks it is running straight gas.

Acetone allows gasoline to behave more like the ideal automotive fuel which is PROPANE. The degree of improved mileage depends on how much unburned fuel you are presently wasting. You might gain 15 to 35-percent better economy from the use of acetone. Sometimes even more.
    More info provided in the link.

Discuss.

To see my car click here

Bordeaux Red Crew #8

I think it was 1/4cup of acetone for every 10GAL of gas....???

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
      I think it was 1/4cup of acetone for every 10GAL of gas....???
      They are recommending no more than 3 oz pre 10 gals so it sounds about right.

To see my car click here

Bordeaux Red Crew #8

Comment

I use it to bump up my octane.

Comment

i need better mpg
          1993 Accord LX - Sold
          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

major repost
            covered in length...snake oil scam...doesn't work

search next time please
            ____

Comment

**READ THIS**

Here's an email about this from my future Father-in-law. He was a chemist for Bayer and specialized in rubber, mainly tires:

Hi Matt.
              Acetone has been tried for years as a fuel additive with mixed results. See reports here : http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
              I doubt that it works by reducing surface tension since acetone has a higher surface tension than gasoline:
              Acetone (2-Propanone) 25.20 dynes/cm
              Iso-Octane (generally `gasoline`)18.77 dynes/cm
              However, it is an "oxygenate" and small amounts may assist in combustion, the same as MTBE, esp. where the engine is not properly tuned and the fuel/oxygen ratio is too rich. Generally, I would expect the mileage increase to be marginal at best (>1%) in the amounts suggested.
              The price of acetone is about 25x that of gasoline, so this has to be taken into account.
              Biggest worry would be in rubber & plastic fuel components. Acetone is a solvent for unvulcanized nitrile rubber, which is used in fuel hose and fuel o-rings and gaskets. When nitrile is vulcanized, it no longer dissolves in acetone, but instead swells noticeably, resulting in poor strength. Acetone may also cause extraction of the plasticizers such as DOP which are used to keep rubber plastics flexible, so the parts may become brittle.
              In short - I'd stay away from it.
              -AK
              My Car
              FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
                **READ THIS**

Here's an email about this from my future Father-in-law. He was a chemist for Bayer and specialized in rubber, mainly tires:

Hi Matt.
                Acetone has been tried for years as a fuel additive with mixed results. See reports here : http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directo..._Fuel_Additive
                I doubt that it works by reducing surface tension since acetone has a higher surface tension than gasoline:
                Acetone (2-Propanone) 25.20 dynes/cm
                Iso-Octane (generally `gasoline`)18.77 dynes/cm
                However, it is an "oxygenate" and small amounts may assist in combustion, the same as MTBE, esp. where the engine is not properly tuned and the fuel/oxygen ratio is too rich. Generally, I would expect the mileage increase to be marginal at best (>1%) in the amounts suggested.
                The price of acetone is about 25x that of gasoline, so this has to be taken into account.
                Biggest worry would be in rubber & plastic fuel components. Acetone is a solvent for unvulcanized nitrile rubber, which is used in fuel hose and fuel o-rings and gaskets. When nitrile is vulcanized, it no longer dissolves in acetone, but instead swells noticeably, resulting in poor strength. Acetone may also cause extraction of the plasticizers such as DOP which are used to keep rubber plastics flexible, so the parts may become brittle.
                In short - I'd stay away from it.
                -AK
                You should ask him to do some testing with it to give us a definitive answer. There is some information that would suggest that the mixture is diluted enough that the swelling may not be an issue. There is also a solution to this problem. SS lines. haha

To see my car click here

Bordeaux Red Crew #8

Comment

Originally posted by quakerjoe View Post
                  You should ask him to do some testing with it to give us a definitive answer. There is some information that would suggest that the mixture is diluted enough that the swelling may not be an issue. There is also a solution to this problem. SS lines. haha
                  Seriously? Do you really think SS lines are made completely of stainless steel? It's rubber, with the steel mesh around it. If the rubber corrodes, the steel won't hold a damn thing in.

I don't think any more testing needs to be done. Acetone corrodes rubber. 'nuff said. I didn't really need a scientist to tell me that, but it's nice to know that what I already knew is indeed true. The dilution will probably slow the process, but it won't stop it.

If you want better MPG, there are a number of things you can do:

Drive slower. 55mph or less.
                  Accelerate gently.
                  Brake early and gently. Anticipate green lights, and try not to come to a full stop if you can coast up to a light slowly enough for it to change.
                  Drive with your windows up.
                  Properly inflate your tires.
                  Make sure your valves are adjusted properly.
                  Make sure your ignition system is working properly, and your timing is set correctly.
                  Keep your fuel system properly maintained (filter, injectors, etc...)
                  Change your oil at the proper intervals.
                  Keep your air filter clean.
                  Shed some weight. Replace that bumpin' system with some small speakers. If you don't ever have passengers, yank that heavy passenger seat. If you don't drive far, and are willing to risk it, yank your spare tire.

If you want to do some modification, basic airflow mods (intake, header, exhaust) with a good street tune on your ECU will yeild better MPG if done right. I gained about 5mpg with my tune, and it was a fairly quick tune. MRX probably could've done better with more time and tools.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Seriously? Do you really think SS lines are made completely of stainless steel? It's rubber, with the steel mesh around it. If the rubber corrodes, the steel won't hold a damn thing in.

I don't think any more testing needs to be done. Acetone corrodes rubber. 'nuff said. I didn't really need a scientist to tell me that, but it's nice to know that what I already knew is indeed true. The dilution will probably slow the process, but it won't stop it.

Accelerate gently.
                    Brake early and gently. Anticipate green lights, and try not to come to a full stop if you can coast up to a light slowly enough for it to change.
                    Make sure your ignition system is working properly, and your timing is set correctly.
                    Shed some weight. Replace that bumpin' system with some small speakers. If you don't ever have passengers, yank that heavy passenger seat. If you don't drive far, and are willing to risk it, yank your spare tire.

If you want to do some modification, basic airflow mods (intake, header, exhaust) with a good street tune on your ECU will yeild better MPG if done right. I gained about 5mpg with my tune, and it was a fairly quick tune. MRX probably could've done better with more time and tools.

Deevs that's why I put a haha at the end. As in it was a joke.

To see my car click here

Bordeaux Red Crew #8

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post

Accelerate gently.

Speaking of which, I want to get some parts together ( bisi stage 1 cam or delta 272, ecu, a6 runners, h23 tb and plenum) and possibly have a "help mchaley and deev put their cars together properly" meet when I get back
                      My Car

Comment

It's a pretty safe bet my car will still need the attention...

Comment

Thats the first thing I thought when I read the title.

It should be use acetone and dry up your seals.

----------------My 92 Honda Accord LX---------------------- My 97 Nissan 240sx LE----

NE GUYS, Buy the last of my accord parts

Comment

Maybe if you plan on a long trip and want better MPG the whole way. Other then that prolonged use of this will kill your gas tank.

Comment

I don't think most cars are THAT out of tune... >1% seems pretty low to even bother with acetone.
                              My Car

Comment

Working...
                              X