Astro's 1950's kitchen re-do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Astro's 1950's kitchen re-do

I have a very original 1950's veterans house. I bought it primarily because it was in such great shape and VERY original inside with almost all of the trim and fixtures still in place and in great shape.

The kitchen had been re-done sometime in the 70's, and it wasnt that it was done poorly, but it was a bit of a let down given the condition of everything else.

When we moved in, there was only one door (the one nearest the sink), no recess for the fridge, the lower tile board was a bit of a dingy white and the top half was dutch style blue and white wallpaper. The backsplash was fromica.

The funniest part.... we picked hte colours and had almost all the painting done... then I removed a peice of panneling that had been behinfd the old backsplash, only to find that we had replicated EXACTLY the colour the kitchen had been when it was built. The only difference is that it was originally pink over yellow, and now its blue over yellw. The blue is a period correct colour cose as well.

Still not totally finished. Still need to grout the backsplash and install the new porceline tiles (period correct colour, modern material). I also need to find the matching 1950's door hardware for the cabinets that were added in the 70's.

Enjoy.

Members Ride Thread - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=121452

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
    dustin, you are a dick!

officially the lowest ive seen now

nice....cant wait to own my first house and stop renting.
    1993 Accord LX - Sold
    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

Funky.

You need this:

this:

and this to complete the look!

Comment

The toaster and microwave really bring it up to date.

Looks good.

Is that rice in that cookah?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Yeah I was going to say everything looks original but then you have a dishwahser, microwave, toaster, and electric stove lol. Good job though. We did this in our old house but I don't have any pics. We got the house with an old studabaker in teh garage. I was all happy and shit and then I found out the owner was comming to get the car. =(

Comment

I'm coming over for some Fruit loops. Better be some Milk in that Fridge... cuz I'm hungry.

=p

Nice!

Comment

No shoes aloud.

Crazy Canadians.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
              Originally posted by Jarrett
              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

I wish there was a way to hide the microwave... I would like to get a different toaster.. we got that one when we had the apartment. You ever use a 1950's toaster... ? I like toast too much for that.

When I installed the dishwasher I re used all the original doors and drawer fronts. Il have to see if I have a before pic. There used to be a door and drawer on each side and double doors in the middle witha filler pannel above. It just worked out that the space left after the dishwasher was in let me use the door and drawer front from the left side in the middle. I wish now I had spent a bit more and got one with the controls on the top of the door, so they could only be seen with the door open. Oh well. Next time.

Check the range again. No electric. Man, this is the first gas range Ive had, and theres no going back. Oven is gas too. That takes some adjustment.

I know its not 100% accutare (appliances for starters) but for me its nice and functional while still retaining the "original feel".

dustin, you are a dick!

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                  No shoes aloud.

Crazy Canadians.
                  Your goddamn right no shoes, eh !

I always find it weird when I go to my inlaws in RI... wearing shoes in the house. First time I went ther they looked at me like I was from space... taking my shoes off at the door.

dustin, you are a dick!

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                    No shoes aloud.

Crazy Canadians.
                    Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                    Your goddamn right no shoes, eh !

I always find it weird when I go to my inlaws in RI... wearing shoes in the house. First time I went ther they looked at me like I was from space... taking my shoes off at the door.
                    You said it brother.

So Ty/Green when you come up North to my place for that fade.

You leave the DC's at the door.

Comment

that's pretty cool, i like the way the oven and microwave look.

pretty funny how the cereal was on top of the microwave, then on top of the refrigerator.

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
                      -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

Looking good, man! I see stuff like this everyday. Definately not as easy as most people would think, wouldn't you agree?

I would post some pictures of some of the stuff I've been doing, but I don't want to thread jack, so I'm gonna post a thread with some pics, in case your interested.

To see my car click here

Bordeaux Red Crew #8

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                          I wish there was a way to hide the microwave... I would like to get a different toaster.. we got that one when we had the apartment. You ever use a 1950's toaster... ? I like toast too much for that.

When I installed the dishwasher I re used all the original doors and drawer fronts. Il have to see if I have a before pic. There used to be a door and drawer on each side and double doors in the middle witha filler pannel above. It just worked out that the space left after the dishwasher was in let me use the door and drawer front from the left side in the middle. I wish now I had spent a bit more and got one with the controls on the top of the door, so they could only be seen with the door open. Oh well. Next time.

Check the range again. No electric. Man, this is the first gas range Ive had, and theres no going back. Oven is gas too. That takes some adjustment.

I know its not 100% accutare (appliances for starters) but for me its nice and functional while still retaining the "original feel".
                          I miss having a gas range....my entire childhood in Jamaica thats all we had then I moved to the US and that was it
                          1993 Accord LX - Sold
                          93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                          92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                          2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                          2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                          2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                          2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                          2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

awesome work dustin

you could just build a little cabinet to hide the microwave, till you need it of course!
                            and of course no shoes!

thats how ive always rolled. especially now with white carpet!

if i may, id say you should do a "chair rail" style molding to break up the blue and yellow in white and level that bad ass looking backsplash(really a nice choice sir!) out with the white board in the back...not all the way around but in the corner by the window.
                            looks kinda off right there with the blue and yellow break then on the otherside the splash goes up another few inches.

im really digging it dood
                            Last edited by slammed4thgen; 08-28-2009, 11:40 PM.

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

What you miss in the pics thats there in person is the chrome (yes) strip between the yellow and blue. In person it REALLY pops. Ive got a shelf Im going to do for the microwave. I think enclosing would be too much issue for daily life. Besides. It would be too dificult to disguise EVERYTHING post 1950, so I might as well leave the stuff I use, just make it a bit less obvious.

If you need Jake, Ive got a few sheets left I can probably spare ya if/when you decide toy want to do somthing with kitchen or bathroom.

Il post some more pics when its REALLY finished... I just got it to that point tonight so I was excited to show it off.

The mysterios cereal.... ha ha ha . I just hadnt finished cleaning up.

dustin, you are a dick!

Comment

Working...
                              X