5 speed vs Auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed vs Auto

Me and my friend are in the middle of a heated arguement..

I say 5 speed is faster then auto.

He says opposite.

Opinions/facts?
    -Will

Define "faster"

Nowadays, most automatic vehicles can shift faster than any person with a manual gearbox could. However, driving your car hard isn't exactly what your Transmission Computer has in mind.

Thus, if you try and "race" with your automatic car you will experience tons of unnecessary shifting. This is avoided in a car with a manual gearbox, allowing you to stay in the peak of your powerband for longer periods of time than the Transmission Computer would allow.

This applies only to normal, everyday cars. The gearboxes they use in F1 cars today are pretty much automatic. The only way they can be described as manual as they require the driver to flip a toggle switch to change gears. The actual clutch/shift event is controlled by a computer.

So to sum it up, it depends on what you're discussing.

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Like Racing faster.
      -Will

Comment

In the case of your CB7 or any such car...the manual is faster.
        There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Only high-end automatics are able to shift faster than a manual transmission. Our automatics are considerably slower than a manual.

Automatics also result in more drivetrain loss... so you're putting down less power to the wheels.

Additionally, our cars have 4 speed automatics... long gears, compared to the 5 speed manuals. The better performing cars of today generally have 6-7 speed automatics. The Lexus IS-F, which only comes in automatic, has an 8 speed gearbox.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Only high-end automatics are able to shift faster than a manual transmission. Our automatics are considerably slower than a manual.

Automatics also result in more drivetrain loss... so you're putting down less power to the wheels.

Additionally, our cars have 4 speed automatics... long gears, compared to the 5 speed manuals. The better performing cars of today generally have 6-7 speed automatics. The Lexus IS-F, which only comes in automatic, has an 8 speed gearbox.
            auto only?!??!!?!?? really... thats so sad. not that i would ever be able to afford one, but knowing a 6spd isnt even made is just a pitty.

its so annoying to see that some of the most powerful cars on the highway are driven by slow old fucks behind an auto tranny.

Comment

Well, the autos in performance cars these days are faster than manuals. The auto 370Z is faster than the 6 speed with a good driver.

I'd take a slower car for the added enjoyment and involvement of a manual transmission, though. Although... big power through a quick shifting auto would probably be fun! I did read that the Lexus's 8 gears were a bit much... too much shifting.

Comment

is it just me or are more and more gears being added to the auto. i knew the IS-F had 8 and so does the new rolls royce

Comment

what kind of tranny is in the Nissan GTR?

Comment

dog box ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                      what kind of tranny is in the Nissan GTR?
                      The GTR's transmission is a dual-clutch automated manual. Basically, it's a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. No clutch packs or torque converter like a traditional automatic... but the computer controls the working of the clutch.

Originally posted by jdm****** View Post
                      dog box ftw.
                      Drive a dog box for a week on the street and you won't be saying that anymore...

Comment

The GTR's transmission is a dual-clutch automated manual. Basically, it's a manual transmission without a clutch pedal. No clutch packs or torque converter like a traditional automatic... but the computer controls the working of the clutch.

Drive a dog box for a week on the street and you won't be saying that anymore...
                        yea but the amount of cool factor you get out of it would be worth it.

my cutout gets so much attention i dont care if i lose horsepower, im so much cooler than all the cb7's in the area because i can be louder than them.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I want a luxury car with a clutch-operated supercharger on a big V8... and a cutout. It'll seem like a normal, boring luxobarge... until I open up the cutout and activate the blower. Then it'll be a screaming speed demon I'm thinking Lincoln Continental.

Comment

I want a luxury car with a clutch-operated supercharger on a big V8... and a cutout. It'll seem like a normal, boring luxobarge... until I open up the cutout and activate the blower. Then it'll be a screaming speed demon I'm thinking Lincoln Continental.
                            it would definitely be a tire burner.
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                            X