Is there a historian in the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a historian in the house?

I found this in my grandmas garage. It appears to be a replica but I cant seem to figure out how to get to the markings on the bottom of the barrel to find any markings. It also appears to be a real firing gun but im not sure. The trigger mechanism works and everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flintlock

There are international variants. Either American , Italian , French etc.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

id say it is for sure a replica. i have never seen a real flintlock pistol that was a light colored they are always stained a dark generally cherry color.

but without seeing it in person i wouldnt know. i love antique guns i did a 15 page term paper on them i have been a huge fan of them since i was 10

they also generally have more metal decorations on them. it was all about quality back then so everything was hand crafted and the makers would generally add metal on the butts of the gun because not only were they guns but when they jumped ship to ship or anything like that they could just hold the barrel and use the butt as a club and hit people
      Last edited by buckysaccord93; 07-18-2010, 01:24 PM.
      You don't have to like what he did, but I would hope that you can appreciate the time, money and love that went in to the build. If you can't, you're not really an enthusiast, just another dumb kid with a car.-visualpoet
      Money and Knowledge are never in the same sentence, because people with Money think they know it all, but people with knowledge, know better.-ragingasian

Comment

Odds are it's a replica but who knows for sure. You should be able to take it apart with a screw driver but I'd just take it to a gun smith.

Don't sell it right away. Get a second opinion before you do that.

PS: if you want to get rid of it, you can send it to my house.
        My Car
        FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
          Odds are it's a replica but who knows for sure. You should be able to take it apart with a screw driver but I'd just take it to a gun smith.

Don't sell it right away. Get a second opinion before you do that.

PS: if you want to get rid of it, you can send it to my house.
          i was wondering when you would chime in

no
          Accord turbo kit under $2k here
          $30 HID kits here Thread
          "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
          "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

LOL. I don't know a whole lot about antiques. That doesn't look expensive though. The expensive ones have the engraving all over.

DO NOT fire it until you have a gunsmith check it out to make sure it's safe. If it is safe to fire, don't use smokeless powder!
            My Car

Comment

Originally posted by mchaley View Post
              LOL. I don't know a whole lot about antiques. That doesn't look expensive though. The expensive ones have the engraving all over.

DO NOT fire it until you have a gunsmith check it out to make sure it's safe. If it is safe to fire, don't use smokeless powder!
              LMAO I would never fire this thing man haha. I am going to take it to a gun shop down the road from me tomorrow and see what I can find. How much is a replica worth these days?

Comment

gunbroker.com

may even be able to find the same one, not sure.
                My Car

Comment

Man I was looking real close and it is definately a real firing gun. Its got scratch marks from the flint on the powder holder thingy.

Comment

Rule #1 treat every gun as if it were loaded.

IF that thing has a charge in the barrel and you cause any spark, it could go off. BE CAREFUL.
                    My Car

Comment

The powder holder thingy is called the "pan". In the pic your flint is gone so it won't fire properly without it. Check to see if it has a hole in the side of the barrel next to the pan. I would shine a light down the barrel and see how dirty it looks. There should be 2 screws on the other side of the gun that you can take off and that will remove the "lock" which is the whole mechanism that fires the gun. The barrel however is probably held on by pins and harder to remove. Check the lock for markings though. It looks like a repro to me but you never know. If it's a repro you might get 300-400 for it.
                      Former: 90 LX, 91 EX. Current: 92 LX

Comment

$300-$400 for an awesome reproduction. I'd say $100 for that one at best, judging from that picture. I could be wrong though so get it checked out.

Sure, having no flint makes the gun 99% safe but he should still act as if it were loaded, cocked, and ready to fire. Odds are it's unloaded but... that's what some people thought when they shot themselves.
                        My Car

Comment

Right, assume it is loaded. If you do find it to be unloaded, don't fire it without a flint in there b/c if it hits the frizzen it could damage it.

Check with re-enactor groups (Rev War, War of 1812), even repros go for big bucks with them, but it depends on the company. Regular Brown Bess muskets made by Pedorsoli are going for over $1000 now. If it's a cheap repro, then yes, it might go for $100-$200.
                          Former: 90 LX, 91 EX. Current: 92 LX

Comment

Working...
                          X