Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please don't attempt to bypass the censored words on this site...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please don't attempt to bypass the censored words on this site...

You'll notice that certain words, when typed, turn into *****

Now, most of these words, in polite, educated society, are not acceptable anyway. However, many people on here seem fond of using them.

This site is about Honda Accords. We don't discriminate against anyone for their race, gender, sexuality, religious beliefs, political beliefs, etc... When you type an offensive word that has been censored, but the context is clear, it's JUST AS OFFENSIVE. In fact, it's directly insulting to me, because you're pretty much saying "fuck you, deev... your rules don't apply to me!"

People will say "well, it just says ****", or "I used other letters, like saying f@g". So that's ok, right? No. I'm going to start issuing permanent bans for things like that. They show a disrespect for the other members of this community, and an utter disregard for the rules that make this place the community that it is.

If you want a real world example... because we seem to forget that real people are attached to this black and orange corner of the internetz...

Walk into a room filled with black people listening to rap music. Say very loudly "Why do you have to listen to that N-word music?"

Will you get your ass kicked? Probably. And rightfully so. Would anyone expect otherwise? Is saying "I said 'N-word'! I didn't use the real word!" going to save you? Does it make it any less offensive? No.
    And if they don't kill you, they can sue you for racism. Directing a racial slur at someone is a hate crime, and punishable by law. Would a court find you guilty, or would your "N-word" defense hold up? Personally, I don't think you'd have a prayer.

So let's remember... this is a public forum. What you say in private with your friends is one thing... but you can't pick and choose, nor can you know who is going to be reading your words on this site. Use some common sense. I really don't want to have to ban members that have otherwise been respected assets to this community.

I saw this conning from a mile away. On other sites I've been on, when you typed a censored word it completly deleted it. Not the *** crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
      I saw this conning from a mile away. On other sites I've been on, when you typed a censored word it completly deleted it. Not the *** crap.
      We could probably do that, but it would require modifying the vBulletin software, and I'm not comfortable doing that. Modifying tends to make things less reliable (something cars and computers have in common!)

It'd be nice if such a post were made invisible, or left for moderation or something...

However, it seems far more reasonable to just ask the members of this community, who for the most part ARE an intelligent, courteous bunch, to simply not say such things. And in the event that request is ignored... it only takes a few seconds to ban someone, and a few more seconds to laugh at their angry email before I delete it.

Comment

Isn't this like the 3rd "consider this a warning" thread against racial slurrs ?

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
        -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

a privately owned public forum.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by ibr_adam09 View Post
            Isn't this like the 3rd "consider this a warning" thread against racial slurrs ?
            Yeah... but people aren't going to dig up the old ones.

When I make such threads, I have certain people in mind that I wish to see them. As long as those people get the hint, and enough time goes by, I'll probably just make another one.

The fortunate thing is, the OT sections (which are most commonly the location of such comments) are often visited frequently by the same group of people... so every now and then, it gets the message across to the current group.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              a privately owned public forum.
              Precisely. So anyone can join, anyone can read, and anyone can be banned at my discretion.

Comment

it's not like we can't type without swearing. i understand that it will add emphasis, but still not necessary. after all, that's what the emoticons are for.

life is good.

Comment

Swearing is fine... but slurs that offend everyone of a certain group are a no-no.

Comment

how many times we have to go thru this shit huh? You guys have common sense so fucking use it, geeezz.
                    1993 Accord LX - Sold
                    93 BMW 525it - SOLD
                    92 Accord EX Sedan - SOLD
                    2000 Accord Coupe - Traded-In
                    2003 Accord V6 6spd Coupe - Sold
                    2001 Honda Civic Ex - SOLD
                    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ - Kid hauler
                    2003 Acura Tl 3.2 - Daily Commuter

Comment

lol, guess i meant swearing in addition to the slurs. the slurs, i agree, are obviously not kosher. my example? "shiznit" when interjected in a coherent, more educated post...tolerable and creative. and i golf clap to myself. but, personally, i feel kinda "dumbed down" when folks type run-on sentances with 70% of said post, swearing.

can't understand it, gets me frustrated a little, and it's just more work in the end for the OP and readers/respondents. that's not even mentioning the true topic at hand which will get a lot of people offended.

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                        You guys have common sense so fucking use it, geeezz.
                        "my boi sed cut springs wuz fine so im on cut springs"

"im gonna put a h22 head on my f22 block cuz its better for boost"

"i wuz racin dis mustang at rush hour yesturdy n we wuz weavin in n out of trafick. we did like 120 den he pussied out. i tuk it to 130 but i hit my limiter so how do i get rid of dat limiter?"

"i stuck my dick in this horsefaced girl i found on craigslist. wanna see?"

Common sense? Really?

Comment

:/i see what you did there :/

i assume this has to do with the shenanigans that went on in OTL a couple weeks ago? man...guess i'm really outta the loop now. and that was my fav. thread

life is good.

Comment

Nah, it's been going on for a while, but the last straw was a thread that was created, deleted by the creator, re-created so the offensive word could be made more obvious, and then deleted by a moderator. Of course, I see all these things... If you post it on my forum, I can and will see it... you can't permanently get rid of it.

I didn't punish that member, or any of the others that lead up to this... but hopefully those that have done it will realize that I'm serious, and will think a bit more before posting such things. I'm going to start taking such things more seriously, as they have no place on this forum. IMO, that's one of the things that sets this forum apart from others on the internet.

Comment

yeah maybe 'deyz been lurned' now. normally OTL is a fun place as well! and i haz a sad, because it's locked.

life is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X