Best DSLR for under $600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best DSLR for under $600

Let's hear it. Camera will be used for vacations, adventures, blah blah. Would like one with a Live View LCD screen.
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Live view is for pussies.

and look into olympus. Semi cheap for a quality shooter.

Comment

Live view is legit, and I want it.

Comment

live view is fail. but if u must have it look into a used xsi.... u could probably get a 40d for around that too... but yes. for the record, live view is full of painful fail.

and yes. one of my dslrs has live view which has been used 0 times for any usefull purpose.

"Tucking tires and wires."
        The Chronicles.

Comment

Why exactly WOULDN"T you use live view if you had it?

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
            Why exactly WOULDN"T you use live view if you had it?
            it depends on what you are trying to do with the camera i believe

from http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/live-view-lcd.html

However, not all live view systems are created equal.

The main issue that plagues most live view systems is one of speed: autofocus is slow, and the time to take a photo is downright glacial.

In the paragraphs above, I mentioned that there's a mirror in the way of the digital sensor and that this mirror needs to be out of the way in order for live view to work.

Unfortunately, that same mirror is required for the sophisticated autofocus system to activate.

So what happens when you try to autofocus a digital SLR in live view mode?

It takes time:

1. The mirror (previously up out of the way of the sensor) flips down
            2. The autofocus system engages and locks focus on the subject
            3. The mirror flips back up

Taking a photo follows a similar set of steps:

1. The mirror flips down
            2. The autofocus system engages and locks focus on the subject
            3. The camera takes the picture
            4. The mirror flips up

Pentax K20D - Back With Live View

As if all this weren't enough, autofocus in live view often requires the use of a different button besides the main shutter release.

When you're not using live view on a digital SLR, you engage the autofocus system by pressing down halfway on the shutter release. The autofocus fires up, and beeps once the subject is in focus.

With many live view systems, you can't use the shutter release to engage the autofocus - you have to press a separate button on the back of the camera to get it to work.

So what's the main takeaway point from all of this?

Live view mode is only useful for static subjects, not subjects in motion.

On the plus side, this technology is already starting to improve. For example, both the Sony DSLR-A300 and DSLR-A350 take the live view mode to the next level: the autofocus engages when you press down on the shutter release (just like normal mode) and there is less mirror flipping, which improves camera performance significantly.
            Buying Tip

Seek out a camera with a live view LCD if:

* You don't want to always look through the viewfinder to compose photos
            * You want to take photos at odd angles
            * You take photos primarily of non-moving subjects

Don't worry about whether or not a camera has live view if:

* You want to use the camera for action photography
            * You don't mind always using the viewfinder
            * You don't intend to photograph from waist level or at arm's length
            ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

I have a Canon Rebel XT 8MP. No live view, obviously, but it takes awesome pics. I am still learning how to use it, even though I have owned it for close to 4 months. lol. There's also a variety of lenses that work on it, which is one of the reasons I opted for a canon. One of the first things you should do before even taking pics, is to buy a UV filter. Cheap insurance for your expensive lens!
              Last edited by HondaGuy1212; 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

i've been doing some research on prices and such, and i'd suggest a used canon 40d like jpec said. you can get a body on ebay for around 400 then check arond local forums and craigslist for old canon 35mm packages, the old lenses stuill work with the new cameras and you can pick up 2-3 decent lenses for around 150 (with a camera that you can turn around and re-sell). one lens i would really reccomend is the canon fixed 50mm/f1.8. it allows you to take pictures that come out decently even in very dark rooms, and it is very cheap.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

nikon d3000, nikon d40X (used), maybe even some D80s

check KEH.com for cameras

no
                  Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                  $30 HID kits here Thread
                  "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                  "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

x2 on the d3000
                    doesn't have live view but it's been a great camera to me

Ride: 2002 Lexus IS300

Comment

I would say an Olympus E420 they are about $350 on walmarts website and it has pretty good consumer reviews. It isn't the best if your looking to buy different lenses and all that jazz....

Comment

Working...
                      X