Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car warm up

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...car-in-winter/

according to this, its unnecessary and its hurtful.

discuss

Ok first of all....I know if I dont warm up my autotragic civic it shifts a hell of a lot harder than if I do....so I warm that bitch up

and how many fucking people are dumb enough to idle a car in an enclosed area....and if you have a garage....chances are its heated....so why the hell do you need to warm the car up in a heated garage.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

If I don't let my truck warm up for at least 5 minutes prior to driving (in the cold), I grind every damn gear.

And, well, my truck is a lot more comfortable after I let it warm up for a few minutes before leaving. I don't give a shit if it "warms up faster if you drive, then idle", I want it to be warm inside the truck BEFORE I have to drive.

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

All of those facts are from anti-idling campaigns produced by environmental groups. How about some un-baised facts?
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

lol, they really don't want people to warm their cars up.

California Energy Commission points out that "idling is not actually an effective way to warm up a car — it warms up faster if you just drive it."
          how bout this? i don't want my car to warm up fast.

all throughout the engine, there's many different alloys of steel and aluminum that as they get to operating temps, expand at different rates. it's only logical that you'd want the temps to go up at a slower rate instead of a fast rate.

when does the most damage happen? when the fluids are cold. i knew a truck driver that said to me, ''if you want your truck to last forever, never turn it off.'' motor oil doesn't flow properly when it is cold. it's viscosity rating is for when it's at operating temperature. later.
          Last edited by TypeG; 01-08-2011, 09:14 PM.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I was taught to let me car run for a few minutes to allow oil and fluids to circulate around the engine before driving. I just let it run for a few minutes longer during the winter time because i don't want to be sitting in a cold ass car/ not be able to see out my frosted windows/ did i mention i don't want to see my breath?

Comment

I do it to

A. A very smart man that I respect alot told me to always do it to prolong the life of your car
              B. My windows fog very easily and I want to actually see when I drive.
              C. I have leather in the CG and It sucks ass to get in it when its cold
              D. I dont like freezing my ass off because contrary to popular belief Alabama still has somewhat of a winter.
              -Will

Comment

my VTEC won't work with a cold engine

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

if enviromental people even did their studies, idling a car that has passed emissions produces close to zero HC and for the most part 0% CO. cars are so clean nowadays that pollution isnt even an issue.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by King James View Post
                    Ok first of all....I know if I dont warm up my autotragic civic it shifts a hell of a lot harder than if I do....so I warm that bitch up

and how many fucking people are dumb enough to idle a car in an enclosed area....and if you have a garage....chances are its heated....so why the hell do you need to warm the car up in a heated garage.
                    my garage isnt heated whatsoever lol. i hate going in there in the mornings. and people never heard of cracking the garage open before turning on a car? wtf are they stupid?

i usually warm up my car to avoid grinding of the tranny and a smoother ride for the car altogether. i also get heat from my heater lol.

no
                    Accord turbo kit under $2k here
                    $30 HID kits here Thread
                    "What a selfish bitch. She looks like one too. A smart-mouthed, facebook-ing, "i dont know if im straight, bi or *** yet" little brat." -greencb7inkc
                    "No Herra Frush, Slammed, tucked or frame dragging here. I'll leave that to the mini trucks...." -fishdonotbounce

Comment

If it's going to be cold out, I plug in my block heater. I can go out in the morning and the car fires up as if it's a nice warm day out. Much less strain on the battery, and the engine oil is warmer. I'll still sit for a minute or 2 and let everything get circulating.

I'm never ever one of those jump in and drive away kind of people. Usually, I will go out to my car, unplug the block heater, start the car, put the defrost on high and then get my brush out and remove ALL the built up snow and ice from my lights,windows,roof and hood.

By then, it's been a couple minutes and I'm good to go.

Comment

they say that so you have to buy parts for the economy when your transmission goes out lol

Comment

some enviormentalist bullshit.
                          try telling that to these guys. for some reason this topic made me think of this.

I warm up any car the metal inside the engine expands.
                          I laugh at people with new cars who jump in and gun it the instant it's started.
                          I literally coast for 5 minutes if i didn't have time to warm up the car keeping rev's below 3,000 rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                            All of those facts are from anti-idling campaigns produced by environmental groups. How about some un-baised facts?
                            Werd.
                            Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                            my VTEC won't work with a cold engine
                            Gives me lawls.
                            Originally posted by Xsjado View Post

I warm up any car the metal inside the engine expands.
                            I laugh at people with new cars who jump in and gun it the instant it's started.
                            I literally coast for 5 minutes if i didn't have time to warm up the car keeping rev's below 3,000 rpm.
                            Yes maybe fine on a new car, but our's are old. I read this is in some monthly ford flyer my dad got sent to his place. It said all you gotta do is warm the engine up 15 seconds or so then just go. Umm? NO. I warm Ruby up in the dead of winter til she idles down. Also if I just "go" she'll never blow heat. I have to shut the blower fan off and wait for the thermo to open as it's a bit sluggish. So I say just let them warm up.

life is good.

Comment

I'm with you guys. I'm going to let my Accord warm up if I can. It's easier on the drivetrain and I like the heater to be running at nuclear hot when I get in and go. It hurts economy though, but oh well.

1990 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 205K, DD once again

Comment

Working...
                              X