Ok so Im cheap and want to have a/c this summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so Im cheap and want to have a/c this summer

I have been pondering the idea of installing a portable a/c unit inside my wagon. I did a search for a complete a/c system for my car and it ended up being $1200. We all know that Honda a/c SUCKS so a junkyard system is definitely out of the questions. So I need an alternative to the windows down and 55mph for my a/c this summer.

Here is my plan. Ill need a power inverter large enough to power the unit. These units are energy efficient these days and don't use alot of power so drain on my battery and strain on the alternator shouldn't be too much of an issue. I ran a 1000w sub amp back in the day and I didn't have electrical problems so this should work fine. The next task is to find a self contained unit that holds its own water while it runs and doesn't use an exhaust pipe. If I have to run an exhaust pipe I am sure I can figure out a way to mount it to my driver window. My next challenge would be to find a way to sit it on top of the folded down seats without it flying all over the place. I don't ride anybody around so doing without my seats wouldn't be a problem. This would also solve my fogging problem when it rains since it will act as a dehumidifier as well.

Installing the power inverter would also be awesome to have when I need to use my electric impact for my mobile repair festivities. I will be running the proper gauge wire straight from the battery to the inverter on a switch of course. All I know is that I am absolutely DYING to have a/c in my car. Installing a new compressor, lines, condensor, and all the components is out of the question. Another reason I am trying to accomplish this is to have a portable a/c for my camper that I can just quickly yank out of my car and stick it in the camper.

If you have a negative comment, I am asking you nicely to please keep it to yourself. Its not like I am installing a window unit in the back window or destroying something. I need ideas and feedback on how to accomplish this the best way possible. Thanks.

Originally posted by Skeet Skeet View Post
    We all know that Honda a/c SUCKS
    Really? Enlighten me. 250k miles and mine still froze me out.
    Originally posted by chessboxer
    We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
    Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

1) Honda a/c is not bad (I had almost 400k miles on my last honda system and worked .... very cold)
      2) Link me to what portable unit you are buying
      3) drainage is not an issue you can run tubing out the car very easy...

Comment

pay to play man.

fix it right.
        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

honda a/c system sucks?

bwahahahhahahahah

my system used to always freeze my windows!
          miss my turbo cb7
          moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

just buy one of these http://www.swampy.net/
            We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.

Comment

Every Honda I have ever owned except for one (EG coupe) hasn't had working a/c. And it still doesn't have that great of a/c when it gets really hot outside. Its been inspected and serviced and still doesn't do as good as I like.

I would do it right, but I would rather find another Accord for $1200 that will have working a/c. I am trying to do this for my car and my camper. I just need to figure out which units have a drain pan and are cheap (less than $300). I am installing a power inverter in the slab anyway just to have for working on stuff and powering other devices. The a/c is just an add on and I need ideas on how to get it to work.

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                2) Link me to what portable unit you are buying

Comment

Lets say it draws 8 amps.....
                  That is 960 watts..
                  Initial start up on a/c units is about 3x some are 7x

So you need something about 1200watts continuous to be safe ...
                  We will calculate start-up on the low end of 3x so 3600 starting load

So a/c watts to d/c calculation

1200watts divided by 12 x 1.1= 110amps contentious draw on your alternator.

You will need to upgrade your alt that will do 110 amps at idle...... Most 300 amp peak alts do not do that at idle.

For ten plus feet of wire you will need to run at least 4/0 wire.

Comment

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...tID=72606#page

That one doesn't have the tank so I will have to route the pipe out of the car some how. I can't seem to find an amperage rating but I looked up a random unit and found it ran 640 watts but it didn't have an amp rating. Its all about the amperage now and I need to get this figured out fast.

Comment

That one doesn't have the tank so I will have to route the pipe out of the car some how. I can't seem to find an amperage rating but I looked up a random unit and found it ran 640 watts but it didn't have an amp rating. Its all about the amperage now and I need to get this figured out fast.
                      Its to much of a draw... You will need to upgrade your whole charging system... It is not cost effective..

Comment

Honda AC sucks? Its probably one of the better ones out there.

You can get a decent kit from ebay with the compressor, reciever drier and some o-rings. It depends on why your system is dead, is it casue of leaks...a bad compressor?

All the parts MAX will run you about 300 bucks. There are good OEM honda compressors at the junkyard. Go to the yard, find one relitivly clean and not coverd in black oily dirt, not opened at the compressor itself, then take it out and drain the fluid. If you see dark and metally oil then its bad. If you see clean oil its good. Then check the clutch by rotating it and making sure it freely rotates.

IF you do what I told you, you have a 80% chance of a good compressor.

Stop trying to make crap right without fixing what you got or fiquiring out the root of the problem.

THen either buy some r12 or convert to 134. I can get r12 locally for 12 bucks a can.
                        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Current equals watts divided by voltage.

Comment

Well the thing is guys I don't have any a/c components on my car AT ALL. The evap is still there but thats it. It had this mysterious leak in it and I couldn't find and 3 other shops couldn't find. I tore my car apart one weekend trying to find out why my freon was escaping with a freon sniffer and could not find it for the life of me. It was stupid but I just got so mad at it that I just ripped everything out because it was nothing but taking up space. This search spanned over 4 years. When I did commercial refrigeration, I was the one they called to find a leak because I was small and had patience. If I couldn't find a leak then something was wrong.

Anyways thanks for the major help guys. Yall kept me from wasting money on something that wasn't gonna work.

Comment

Buy a cooler.... Cut two or three fans in the top... Fill with ice... Wire them to ignition or to a switch... fill with ice every morning...

Comment

Working...
                              X