Hey all you chronophiles - most expensive watches

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/10..._watches/1.htm

Pretty good article.
    My Car
    FREE Web hosting solutions

That's just ridiculous!

'09 Mini Cooper S (R56)

Comment

Could you imagine having all that money to spend on your car?!
      But really though, who would want to buy such a expensive watch?

Comment

By far, the most impressive. Im not a big fan of already overpriced watches being bumped up by just throwing on a stupid amount of diamonds and actually making the watch hideous.

"The watch, which contains 1,483 components, has 36 complications, the most of any watch in the world. It displays three time zones and a 999-year calendar, has a flyback chronograph, and chimes the Carillon Westminster melody on the hour (considered a very high complication), with small strikes on the quarter hour. It has a three-day power reserve for the movement and 24-hour reserve for the chime. The Mega 4 is a special-order watch available only in New York and Geneva. The company was founded in 1992 and is based in Genthod, Switzerland."
        Last edited by DrLove'sKuDang; 04-23-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

http://www.jameslist.com/advert/4003...latin-q1646409
          ^$200,000

http://blog.jameslist.com/2011/jaege...tch-for-women/
          ^ Beautimus bling. If you have to ask the price, you cannot afford it.LOL

Jaeger is one of the last all hand made swiss makers.
          Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

Originally posted by LadyG View Post
            http://www.jameslist.com/advert/4003...latin-q1646409
            ^$200,000

http://blog.jameslist.com/2011/jaege...tch-for-women/
            ^ Beautimus bling. If you have to ask the price, you cannot afford it.LOL

Jaeger is one of the last all hand made swiss makers.
            I love the first one. The second one is hideous.

The more complex a watch, the more impressive it is to me. Especially if the appearance is understated. To me, a watch is a beautiful machine, not mechanical jewelry.

Someday I would love to own a high-end fully mechanical hand-wound watch. My best watch right now takes batteries... and it detracts from the "fanciness" of it. I mean, it's really nowhere near the level of these supercar-priced pieces here, but it's still on the higher end of things in terms of a casual timepiece.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              I love the first one. The second one is hideous.

The more complex a watch, the more impressive it is to me. Especially if the appearance is understated. To me, a watch is a beautiful machine, not mechanical jewelry.

Someday I would love to own a high-end fully mechanical hand-wound watch. My best watch right now takes batteries... and it detracts from the "fanciness" of it. I mean, it's really nowhere near the level of these supercar-priced pieces here, but it's still on the higher end of things in terms of a casual timepiece.
              You really should consider a nice rep just to try it out. Before I decide on a big ticket piece, I will always take it out for an inexpensive "test drive" first. The last thing I want to do is spend $6k on a watch just to realize it doesn't fit me. Amazing pictures or a dealers showcase is one thing, having it sit on your wrist every day is completely different.

maybe something like this...

equipped with a seagull handwind tourbillon movement
              Last edited by DrLove'sKuDang; 04-24-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

I totally agree. I think it'd be kinda cool to have a nice replica, and then get the real deal down the road. It's like buying two of the same action figure... one to play with, and one to keep in the box!
                My watch is one of the most expensive things I own... it's technically more valuable than 2 of my 3 cars (well, my Fit's KBB value is below that of my watch now! ), and other than that, all I have is my house and my college degree!
                I wear it out regularly, but I'd be afraid to wear something that's 4x as valuable, or more. What I have is about the limit for casual wear, I think... so yeah, a nice rep would definitely be a good idea!

Do the replicas have the same intricate internals? And do they come with manual movements, rather than battery operated crap? If so... hell, I might just be satisfied with a cool replica! I do enjoy the prestige of owning the real deal, though...

Comment

they certainly do have the same internals. Instead of an ETA movement, itll be some chinese copy, but they work just the same. You can pay more for some and get a replica watch fitted with a genuine swiss movement... so you get the same look for pennies on the dollar, but the genuine reliability.

From what I hear, if you get a watch movement serviced, it can be as reliable as it's $10k couterpart.

Comment

My mom conveniently just got a job at a jewelry store that has an in-house watch expert...

I might have to check into a nice replica. Sucks, because I'm not a liar... I'll probably tell everyone that looks at it that it's a knockoff, rather than lie and say it's the real deal. Still, if it looks nice, works the same, and costs less... why not, for something that's not so pricey that wearing it would be stressful! (they're still not cheap watches, from what I recall you saying in a previous thread.)

Comment

Originally posted by DrLove'sKuDang View Post
                      they certainly do have the same internals. Instead of an ETA movement, itll be some chinese copy, but they work just the same. You can pay more for some and get a replica watch fitted with a genuine swiss movement... so you get the same look for pennies on the dollar, but the genuine reliability.

From what I hear, if you get a watch movement serviced, it can be as reliable as it's $10k couterpart.
                      Wow.. Really? I've seen a fake Rolex, and cot' damn that looked real.. Bling Bling.
                      Jay
                      HondaLina
                      91' Accord EX R JDM H22A

Comment

Working...
                      X