Project Car Choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Car Choices

It's been a while since I've actually posted on this forum...

So, currently I am looking and browsing for a potential project car. I'm looking for something fun to drive but relatively cheap.

I have a cb7 that my dad actually daily drives because he LOVES that thing. My own car is an 07 scion tC. My accord is an automatic. My tC is an auto as well. I kind of want to get a project car that is a manual. I have driven manual before, but it's not smooth and it was never a daily drive kind of thing. So... I'd like to get one so that I can be well-versed in driving a manual. lol

Now I am really not that mechanically or automobile inclined as some of you. Especially the ones where I spend all the time looking at the projects where you guys rebuild from the ground up a gsx (Keelesdesign) and civics and things of that sort. I have installed my own intake and changed my own oil. I can do little things.

I'd like to spend under $3000 but I do want to grab a Haynes manual and slowly figure things out on my own. I'm graduating this year and beginning work. My gf is going to dental school. Therefore, I really want something to keep me busy as a hobby.

My first choice as of now is a Miata. Haynes makes a manual for these cars and they're common enough that a 1990-1993 miata is fairly inexpensive. At the same time, most are in manual.

I've looked up some MR2s but they just don't seem to be in as good condition.

I would not be opposed to a civic either but can't seem to find any in good condition either.

Looked at mustangs (old fox bodies) and not many exist around where I am.

I just wanted to get your guys' and girls' input as to what would be a good full project car to start on.
    my 91 cb7
    Originally posted by 4doorfury
    I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

I always want to pick up a del sol and fix it up real nice, get a B series in it, nothing too crazy but a fun summer car.
    wat?

Comment

so why are you against a manual transmission?
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
        so why are you against a manual transmission?
        Huh? He said he wanted a car with a manual trans because he didn't currently own one...

lol, before I finished the first paragraph I was thinking "miata" then scrolled down and saw that was your first choice. Other than that I'd suggest a 240sx, an integra, our even another cb7.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
          I always want to pick up a del sol and fix it up real nice, get a B series in it, nothing too crazy but a fun summer car.

This is my old Del Sol. It was an absolute blast to drive and loved hugging turns. I miss it. Considering building a K24-powered Del Sol as a track car but not throwing away the idea of buying another blue top and dropping it in something and use it as a track car.

OP, Honda will likely be the better choice (and this is not a biased reply) solely because they are easy to work on, maintain, and parts are plenty.
          H23A-powered CB7 coming soon.....

Comment

I was thinking miata as well like someone mentioned a 240sx, old school 87-91 supra the turbo version, I like the old sentra they had on project car mag with the sr20det swap you got a pretty good selection to pick from with that $3000 budget
            MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=175158

Comment

early to late 90's maxima

like this

or this

maybe s13 or s14 240sx

early celica

early 90's prelude

civic EG6, or del sol, EK, or EM1

could probably think of a lot more but those would be some NICE choices

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                Huh? He said he wanted a car with a manual trans because he didn't currently own one...

lol, before I finished the first paragraph I was thinking "miata" then scrolled down and saw that was your first choice. Other than that I'd suggest a 240sx, an integra, our even another cb7.
                yea im tripping, i thought he said he preferred an automatic.

the miata is a great starter car. lots of engine swaps can be had in the future and i like the ergonomics.

id rate a s2k interior for a roadster first and then the miata next. bmw's and porsche just don't feel right.

foxbody mustangs are fast too and lots of support. you can budget build a 302 to have over 350hp and still make them turn.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

You should do a project with a 240! You could drop a Sr20 in it and go drifting.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIVeGamaKVo
                  cb7sk8rdude

Comment

what about some kind of old chevy

Comment

I would go for the Miata. Tons of fun in a little package and relatively cheap. Look into the 94-07 1.8 with leather trim since they are usually equipped with a torsen LSD rather than the viscous LSD in the 90-93. I've had a share of project cars and the Miata has been the most fun for the buck, specially if you hit the track or auto-X.

Comment

How about a 200sx(Nissan)? Those have the SR20 and I dont really see them being modified. It would be a unique build.
                        1990 Accord EX

Comment

You could get a prelude. Fairly cheap but pretty hard to find. I do agree with going towards a Miata though. My buddy has 2 and its a blast to whip around.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
                          My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
                          Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

I would LOVE to get a s2k if I could. Unfortunately.... Can't even find one out of state that I can afford or is in good condition.

I completely forgot about the 200sx's. :P

I was actually looking at a couple del sol's but they are in HORRIBLE condition. I think it's the salt and harsh winters where I live.

I took a look at some cb7s in the area as well... I just don't get it. Why do people treat their cars like crap.

Anyways.... I am going to be looking at old mr2 today. Might be interesting. :P
                            my 91 cb7
                            Originally posted by 4doorfury
                            I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

Other than price and "fun", do you have any real requirements? RWD, turbo, power production, aftermarket availability...

For $3000 or less, you can actually get some pretty fun cars.
                              I would suggest getting one for $1500-$2000, and put that extra $1000-$1500 into a suspension refresh. You're going to be getting an OLD car, and you're going to want a decent suspension to keep it planted on the road. Even new stock replacement!

Anyway, some things that I didn't see mentioned yet:
                              E30 BMW (3 series). They're relatively affordable, reliable, and they have good aftermarket support. They won't be as cheap to repair or modify as, say, a Civic... but they're not terrible.

Volvo 740 or 940. The turbo ones have some decent potential, though the NA ones can't get out of their own way. Aftermarket is pretty weak, but it's there. There are also kits available to swap in a Mustang's V8 (the 240 is included in this as well... I just didn't mention it with the others because I don't believe they came turbo.)

Volvo 850. FWD, but sharp looking cars. They have some aftermarket support as well, and they do come turbo. The 850R is badass, but finding a good one for $3000 might be tough. They aren't very common. I've only seen one in my life.

Galant VR4. If you can find one that isn't beat to shit, it has much of the charm of a CB7, but AWD and turbo Most of them seem to be falling apart now, and any that are in good shape often fetch a high price.

Starion/Conquest. This would require a good deal of restoration, especially for one in your price range... but they're such beautiful cars. They have one of the biggest 4 cylinder engines I've seen in a production car, and they're turbo. Pretty weak by today's standards in stock form, but still cool. Like the Galant VR4, finding one in your price range that's in good condition would be tough, but worth looking into.

Nissan 200sx (S12). RWD, sporty, and the V6-equipped models can take a 300ZX TT motor very easily.

An FC RX7 would be fun, but you'd probably need to do some work to it before it'd be at all reliable. Rotaries need to be rebuilt, and many owners abuse them... often out of ignorance. People just don't know how to properly care for one! I thought about picking up a rotary just for fun, to learn on.

Whatever you get, I would check to see if you can get the official shop manual (Helm reproduces many of them.) A proper manual is MUCH better than Haynes. If you want to learn the right way, without making stupid/costly mistakes due to a vague manual, then spend the money for something worthwhile. You'll thank yourself!

Comment

Working...
                              X