Any sport bike riders here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GHOST 2.2 View Post
    I'm planning to buy a bike next month or so, just seeing anyone's opinions in regards to the bikes they ridden... and also equipment recommendations

i myself is eyeing a 2007 R6.

what do you ride and why did you choose that bike?
    I ridden '03 ZX-9R, '06 ZX-6RR, '07 Yamaha R6, '06 GSXR 600.

The ZXs and GSXR were other people's bike who I've had the privileged to ride. I've owned a 2007 Yamaha R6.

There's a lot of things to consider when buying a first bike.

#1 - Respect the bike. You can buy anything as long as you know how to respect it. However, owning a bike for the first time and regularly riding it, YOU WILL MAKE MISTAKES! A 600 is much more forgiving than anything with more than 600cc, especially a liter bike. It's recommended for any responsible person to start on a 600 (no 250R is needed...). This rule will basically keep you intact.

#2 - Don't dress for the ride, dress for the fall. To keep it short and sweet, buy the proper gear. Good helmet, leathers, jacket, gloves, boots. Anyone at a parts/apparel shop can help you. This is very important.

#3 - Respect the throttle. Goes hand and foot with #1.

To choose a bike, there are many factor to consider. Your height, arm extension, body position, etc. All bikes in a class will theoretically perform the same power wise. Bikes differ by the way they feel when your on them in a straight line, or leaning over. Comfort is a big thing that you want to keep in mind on a motorcycle.

For me, I'm a racing ego'd maniac. Anything that has true roots directly inspired from the track, I'm in. When I bought my R6, it was because it was the 600 with the closest connection to a real track bike as stated by professional. That, and I'm a Yamaha man at heart. It also helped that it was, and still is 'til this day, the best looking 600 evarrrrrr!

Sit on each bike that you're considering, try to test ride on a highway for about 2-3 miles to see your comfort level on a bike, and let that help shape your decision.

Again, comfort is very important.

Take riding lessons. They really come in handy. Really! Practice leaning your bike in the twisties when there's no one around to get used to it.

Again, respect your bike. You will have to build a relationship with it, but don't be scarred of it.

Remember, a 600 can do 0-130 in about 12 seconds or so.

You will have to be very defensive as well.

People will tell you (and you can kinda see if you ever sit on one) that the CBR is one of the most comfortable bikes ever. That then the GSXR and ZX. People say that the R6 is the most uncomfortable one, but the most fun. You have to find what you're comfortable with.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Straight Success; 07-21-2012, 10:02 PM.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
      You have to be prepared to dump any bike. It happens to everyone. No matter the speed. Every single I person I know that owns, or has ever owned, a bike has dumped a bike at least once. It's just something you need to prepare for, get used to and be ready for.

That being said I've never owned nor ridden one but I'd like to before I do. I'll get my license the right way and start on a smaller bike. A few of my younger friends jumped on the bandwagon with 500s and 650s. One of them recently bought a 1000RR Repsol. Not one of his brighter ideas. Another buddy of mine dumped a bike while test-driving then broke his foot not even two weeks later. Less than a week after getting his cast off, he got another bike.

It does not happen to everyone I refuse to except that comment. You need to learn how to ride smart. It does not happen to everyone, if it does then you are riding stupid.

I know plenty of people who have never dumped their bikes and have plenty of riding experience.

I have 17k miles under my belt, not nearly enough and I have barely got any miles in these last two years because I have been so busy.
      H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
        I know plenty of people who have never dumped their bikes and have plenty of riding experience. .
        I'm one. I'm hoping I'll keep up the tradition.

BTW, this is what transpired today. Negotiations are in effect.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
          I'm one. I'm hoping I'll keep up the tradition.

BTW, this is what transpired today. Negotiations are in effect.

Yum that is awesome. If our riding season was longer I would totally own something like that, but only having 3-4ish months to ride in and making payments the rest of the year doesn't sound very fun to me.
          H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

I think that there is a certain level of skill and awareness that one could have to eliminate would-be issues. However, I've had to dump it twice because of other drivers. Just like there are unavoidable accidents in cars, there are unavoidable accidents on motorcycles. I was pulled out in front of by a woman in a Suburban who freaked and stopped in my path. I had only enough time to throw the bike down. It's never anything I could consciously do to myself if you paid me a ton of money. But in that moment your instinct knows how to protect itself. So yes, it doesn't ALWAYS happen to everyone, but it can.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by phatdoughnut View Post
              Yum that is awesome. If our riding season was longer I would totally own something like that, but only having 3-4ish months to ride in and making payments the rest of the year doesn't sound very fun to me.
              I agree, it's very awesome.

Our riding season isn't that long as we have cold, and most of the time, snowy winters. I'm planning to ride between late March/early April through October/November.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I've ridden a few sportbikes. I owned a 2000 R6, -1+3, 520 conversion and a few other mods, accelerated like a 1000. I have free reign to my buddies 2008 GSXR 1000 (fastest thing I've ever ridden) and it's a death trap if you want it to be.

All other people are being too... polite? I was told all the same stuff, I'll tell you how it is from my point of view.

I like to go fast, you'll twist the throttle, top it out, try and wheelie, maybe even get pulled over and get a ticket (I did)

I almost never wore my padded jacket unless it was cold out, if it was hot out I never wore my helmet (too hot, no helmet law, I just didn't care)

People WILL try and race you, cops will stare at you, and you will get negative actions and idiots in front of you. Remember, you're in control of your machine, and that's it

Comment

Ive owned 7 bikes...from a 83 Suzuki to a Busa... Never ridden a single one. Two wheels are not for me.....except to make money on

Comment

It's recommended for any responsible person to start on a 600 (no 250R is needed...). This rule will basically keep you intact.
                    By who? Motorcycle dealers?

Part of riding is learning how to ride properly. That means being able to push a bike to its limits... which is much more realistic for a new rider on a 250 than a 600. A 250 doesnt have the power to step the rear out in a turn, or lock up the front brake, or a bunch of other noob mistakes that come from not mastering controls.

Just get a 250-500 for a year or so. Do the MSF course. Get some track time in. THEN get the 600. A year is not that long.
                    Last edited by gloryaccordy; 07-22-2012, 01:18 PM.

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                      By who? Motorcycle dealers?

Part of riding is learning how to ride properly. That is much easier to do on a standard bike.

Just get a 250-500 for a year or so. Do the MSF course. Get some track time in. THEN get the 600. A year is not that long.
                      Professional riders. It was a huge article in Motorcyclist a while back about this topic on new riders and first bikes.

They say the under-averaged person will out grow a 250-500 in a matter of a few months (superbikes we're talking). There is no way in hell a 250 can begin to keep up with a 600.

It was also advised to buy used as these are the best bikes to make mistakes on or drop. You don't want to drop your brand new bike.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

No one is saying that any 250 will keep up with any 600. Your purpose isn't to show up sport bike guys, it's to learn for yourself so that you're a better rider once you get your own 600cc+ bike.

And who cares if you outgrow a bike in a few months. I disagree with the statement based on the fact that you can ALWAYS learn new things if you're at a point where you at pushing a machine to its very limit. You can then translate that onto a bigger bike later on. The more tendencies and nuances of two-wheeled riding you are able to learn, the better. But supposing you outgrew it in a few months. Great. Sell it to someone else who wants to learn for exactly what you paid for it. You're not in the hole anything other than TT&L and you can search for a different bike.

There's just such a macho mentality to riding and you see it all the time with the deaths on them. Not always but most of the time it's someone doing something they shouldn't be doing on the streets getting killed. It's rarely ever the veteran guys who preach safety until they're blue in the face either. It's normally guys that got onto forums talking about how they just got their 600 as their first bike and want someone to explain where they're going wrong in their quest to pop a wheelie down their cul de sac. Think of how much of that could be stifled if people were that much more in-tune with their bikes because they were made to be safe from the start.

I do agree with buying used, though. Even if it was a newer bike that I was going to keep for a while. Dealers just suck to deal with.
                        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                          No one is saying that any 250 will keep up with any 600. Your purpose isn't to show up sport bike guys, it's to learn for yourself so that you're a better rider once you get your own 600cc+ bike.

And who cares if you outgrow a bike in a few months. I disagree with the statement based on the fact that you can ALWAYS learn new things if you're at a point where you at pushing a machine to its very limit. You can then translate that onto a bigger bike later on. The more tendencies and nuances of two-wheeled riding you are able to learn, the better. But supposing you outgrew it in a few months. Great. Sell it to someone else who wants to learn for exactly what you paid for it. You're not in the hole anything other than TT&L and you can search for a different bike.

There's just such a macho mentality to riding and you see it all the time with the deaths on them. Not always but most of the time it's someone doing something they shouldn't be doing on the streets getting killed. It's rarely ever the veteran guys who preach safety until they're blue in the face either. It's normally guys that got onto forums talking about how they just got their 600 as their first bike and want someone to explain where they're going wrong in their quest to pop a wheelie down their cul de sac. Think of how much of that could be stifled if people were that much more in-tune with their bikes because they were made to be safe from the start.

I do agree with buying used, though. Even if it was a newer bike that I was going to keep for a while. Dealers just suck to deal with.
                          Outgrowing a bike is a big deal. It's basically like your wasting money. If that's not a problem, or you have deep pockets, who gives a toot. This concept is talked about heavy in the bike world.

Say one buys a bike (a 250), and they pat cash for it. The value decreases instantly. Three months later, when your colleagues go to the track or a late night ride and take off, and you're comfortable with your 250, so you try to punch it (crack the throttle wide open) to keep up, and all of the 600s and up leave you so bad you can't see them anymore... it's a big deal. Now you have to sell the 250 for less than what you paid, and go get another bike. Waste of time and money. A person who starts on a 600, masters it, will be able to keep up with a rider on a 1000. A 250 will not be able to do that. A 600 is very, very forgiving assuming that you do not do asshole things like wheel'ing down a cul-de-sac, as you mentioned.

All you have to do is respect a bike. That's really the bottom line. Of course other thing are inevitable, like a car pulling out in front of you. These dangers are something to keep in mind as a motorcyclist.

A 250 is a good choice for someone who's humble, and don't plan on seeing 150 mph on the track. Then that is when a person should pick one up. If one just wants to ride for the feeling and not performance, a 250 is a good choice.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

lol at this thread.. OP I recommend you visit some motorcycle forums.. NO ONE here has "outgrown" a 250.. Get on a track with some real racers on 250s and see if you "outgrew" it. If you are at the handling limits of a 250 ON THE STREET within a couple months you are a god and should be pro now. "Outgrowing" a bike is a myth by squids.

Leaving loling thread now

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                              lol at this thread.. OP I recommend you visit some motorcycle forums.. NO ONE here has "outgrown" a 250.. Get on a track with some real racers on 250s and see if you "outgrew" it. If you are at the handling limits of a 250 ON THE STREET within a couple months you are a god and should be pro now. "Outgrowing" a bike is a myth by squids.

Leaving loling thread now
                              Put a 250 on a track with a 600, and see what happens.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Outgrowing a bike is a big deal. It's basically like your wasting money. If that's not a problem, or you have deep pockets, who gives a toot. This concept is talked about heavy in the bike world.

Say one buys a bike (a 250), and they pat cash for it. The value decreases instantly. Three months later, when your colleagues go to the track or a late night ride and take off, and you're comfortable with your 250, so you try to punch it (crack the throttle wide open) to keep up, and all of the 600s and up leave you so bad you can't see them anymore... it's a big deal. Now you have to sell the 250 for less than what you paid, and go get another bike. Waste of time and money. A person who starts on a 600, masters it, will be able to keep up with a rider on a 1000. A 250 will not be able to do that. A 600 is very, very forgiving assuming that you do not do asshole things like wheel'ing down a cul-de-sac, as you mentioned.

All you have to do is respect a bike. That's really the bottom line. Of course other thing are inevitable, like a car pulling out in front of you. These dangers are something to keep in mind as a motorcyclist.

A 250 is a good choice for someone who's humble, and don't plan on seeing 150 mph on the track. Then that is when a person should pick one up. If one just wants to ride for the feeling and not performance, a 250 is a good choice.
                                Asshole things like blast away from your friends on public roads so fact that they can't even see you anymore?

My argument was that you will not take significant losses buying and selling a learner bike. There is ALWAYS a market for people wanting to buy a small bike to learn. You can buy used, higher-mileage Ninja 250s for around $1000-1500. In a year you can sell it back for exactly that. More if you've cleaned it up really well and keep up with maintenance so people know they're not getting a junker.

Comment

Working...
                                X