Diy stair work. Need advice From cb Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diy stair work. Need advice From cb Family

Doing work on my steps. Ripped up carpet, padding, all staples even old laminate that was on the wood.

Now the hard part now is removing the old glue.... I. Understand that adhiesive remover will work but throws out crazy fumes, and may stain the wood.. if it stains should I care even tho ill b painting over... also I do know I have to clean the shit out the wood to remove the adhesive after I chip it all out.

To those who've done something like this b4.. wat did u use to scrape the old glue up?

I found a enviroment friendly liquid... not sure wat 2 do. Just wanted 2 ask here.
    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Depending on how bad the glue is, you may be able to use like a tile scraper. Or, you could sand it off. And as far as prep before painting, I'd try to remove as much of the glue/contaminants as you can before you paint, otherwise the paint may not stick properly.

Comment

Originally posted by nine_deuce View Post
      Depending on how bad the glue is, you may be able to use like a tile scraper. Or, you could sand it off. And as far as prep before painting, I'd try to remove as much of the glue/contaminants as you can before you paint, otherwise the paint may not stick properly.
      remember to prime before you paint !!!

if it is bad gobs of glue, use a belt sander starting with 80 grit and work up from there. have a mask and good ventilation handy along with a good vaccuum cleaner
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks to the 2 members who cared enough to post..update.

Glue remover i used. First Goof Off which didnt really do much but annoy me. Then the 2nd container my neighbor had. Had just enough for the steps. The back of the steps anyways... both say apply with brush, let sit til you see the paint or glue bein irritated.. and after 30mins. I didnt see shit, and was scrappin for dear life.

^ the rubber u see will be placed on the front side of the steps.

Here is my lil tool tray.. i swear i pulled out at least 150 something staples with my needle nose pliers.

My carpet was tan, ugly ass tan, it was a pain to look at. So nasty. So i took it up within minutes, and of course theres some cheap padding... this is look down of course.

Now the front side... the reason im going crazy over this glue shit... first off the house is over 60 years old.. who knows how long this old carpet had been on. Let alone the Lamonium tile on the back side of the step. Seems some1 just carpeted rite over it. The black is the glue.

After i was gettin pissed cuz nothing was bubblin from the glue or paint. I put a tad bit water on it to clean it up, and noticed it made the surface really slippery.. but didnt pay any mind to it.. i was annoyed so i went to sleep. Woke up, and got a spray bottle started to spray the backside, and used a rough like sponge and man powA, squirt it with the bottle, and back and forth srubbin, then this happened.

Now this

All gone I sure as hell did all of srubbin. The dark spots u see is the wood not glue, and the darkish line in the middle of the picture is bad lighting.

Since I started the thread.. ill just update as I do, now I already had 60 grit. Now that the glue is off I can go crazy with the sander on the steps, make it smooth so where I can paint it.. fll in the cracks and wat not.. I have the primer in White.

So after I sand sand sand, and clean, ill primer it, then add the rubber mats on the step. I want the back of the step to be white, anyways, thanks for looking.

I will never do this shit again
        Last edited by F20A CB7; 08-27-2012, 03:00 AM.
        **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
        Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
        Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Working...
        X