how do i get a job working w/ cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do i get a job working w/ cars?

It seems like a stupid question to ask I guess, because I know there are a ton of different things one can do with cars, from engineering to mechanicing. Anyways, my passion as far as what I love doing for a hobby, and would love to do as a job, is work with cars in some way. I have a drafting "diploma" from Lanier Technical College here in Georgia. I will probably be going back to school in the next year for something that will get me farther in the door w/ cars. I'm just curious as to who works with cars, what you do, and how you got there (college, internship, ect..). Fushigi is someone I hope to hear from in this, as well as rebels and a few others. I'm not 100% sure as to what I want to do with cars, maybe something in the tuning/selling parts field. The only problem with that is you pretty much have to own your own business to do that, which I want to do down the road, but not necessarily right away. I need experience before I can branch out on my own.
    JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

I was a mechanic for a year and in my own personal opinion I would'nt go back. It's hard work and on top of that it just wore my passion for cars really dry over the time. I found mixing my hobbie and work just did'nt really work out for me. Then again I was just a regular mechanic. Maybe performance would be fun. I was just fixing broke ass cars everyday.
    my ride

Comment

thnx for input...anyone else?
      JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Originally posted by bracersi
        I was a mechanic for a year and in my own personal opinion I would'nt go back. It's hard work and on top of that it just wore my passion for cars really dry over the time. I found mixing my hobbie and work just did'nt really work out for me. Then again I was just a regular mechanic. Maybe performance would be fun. I was just fixing broke ass cars everyday.
        dude that makes SOOOOOO much sense! this isn't exactly the same thing, but i used to always LOVE subway so i got a job there and now i can't even eat it... mixing work and hobbies is definetly a no no

Comment

well the problem is i'm not happy drafting, so what the heck do i do? i mean you should at least be relatively happy where you work...i dunno..i'll just havta see...
          JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

dude you think your job sucks! hahahaha i work at a liquor store in the middle of the fucking ghetto (the flat tops for anyone in southern maryland) and i got held up at gunpoint. all while making a whooping $6.00 an hour (which now isn't even legally minimum wage).

Comment

well i make pretty good, but i still know there's something else i would enjoy much more....i may take the motorsports technology class at the same college i went to for drafting...i'll read more into that and see what they teach...if they teach tuning, it may be the thing for me...
              JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Originally posted by yeamans17
                isnt minimum wage 5.15
                i thought it was 5.50
                JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

When we look to hire positions here at Fushigi Race Engineering Service, we look at several aspects. They are:

-Age of the applicant
                  -Past experince working with automobiles
                  -Education
                  -Automotive projects completed by the applicant
                  -And passing an oral interview where general and advanced automotive
                  knowledge is tested.

Hope that helps answer your question about what companies in the auto industry are looking for when hiring...
                  I pooped a hammer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shownngon
                    When we look to hire positions here at Fushigi Race Engineering Service, we look at several aspects. They are:

-Age of the applicant
                    -Past experince working with automobiles
                    -Education
                    -Automotive projects completed by the applicant
                    -And passing an oral interview where general and advanced automotive
                    knowledge is tested.

Hope that helps answer your question about what companies in the auto industry are looking for when hiring...
                    what kind of education could i get? there is motorsports technology offered at the technical college i went to, but is there something else better?
                    JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Go to UTI...

Everybody I've ever heard of completing schooling from there is now in a really good position in the industry...

Greddy, Rahal Racing, etc...
                      RIP Lifsatrip7

Comment

<going to UTI soon anyway.. dillon emails me alot. that dood is obsessed with his possesion there.. gotta love that theres a UTI facility 1hr from me!

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

lol...where's that?
                          JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

btw..here's the site for that motorsports associate's degree program...

http://www.laniertech.edu/academic/p...asp?Prog_id=14
                            JDM H22 w/ M2B4 Tranny

Hondata has arrived!!

Comment

Originally posted by ZigenBallZ
                              Go to UTI...

Everybody I've ever heard of completing schooling from there is now in a really good position in the industry...

Greddy, Rahal Racing, etc...

From what I heard UTI sucks..go to Wyotech even better enviroment there from what ive heard.
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                              Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                              made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                              X