Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Integrating a computer system into a car... ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integrating a computer system into a car... ideas?

I'm putting this in OT for now, as I don't intend for this to be a really technical discussion. Really just a thread for tossing around ideas about what could be done with an integrated computer system... and how to do it.
    If we progress into a more technical realm, I'll move it to a more appropriate section.

Anyway, I keep thinking about how awesome it would be to integrate a fully functional computer system into a car.
    Modern cars have much of what I'm thinking, but I want to take it even further.

Today, cars have "infotainment systems", capable of playing music, movies, displaying pictures, displaying feeds from one or more external cameras (backup camera, for example), and showing a number of readings from various sensors (temp, oil pressure, speed, rpm, tire pressure, etc...)

Many people build in-car computer systems that are really just cleverly mounted PCs. In-car, but not integrated.

What I'd like to do is find a way to effectively combine the two, ideally in a relatively cheap and easy fashion. Something that could be done by someone with little money to burn, and little custom computer experience.

So, with that being said, the ideas bouncing around my head at the moment are:

A Raspberry Pi as the main computer. Cheap, tiny, and powerful enough for most functions.
    I'm curious to learn if a constant power source (like our clocks have) would be effective to keep the thing going without 1) damaging it, or 2) killing the car's battery. I don't think it would draw very much power, especially when it's not actively processing anything.
    That could be tucked away under the dash somewhere. All inputs can be rerouted via extension cables to make a clean, neat access panel.

Next, a powered USB hub or two would probably be necessary. Also hardwired.

For a display, I'd like to have an in-dash touch screen display.
    I'm doing some research to see if I could find a way to make this happen using an old iPhone or iPod Touch.
    Additional input can be done via bluetooth keyboard.

An external SSD would work well for mass storage.

The things I'd like to see this thing do:

Basic PC functionality: MP3s, videos, emulators, web-browsing via wi-fi or phone tethering.
    Audio control: I have no experience here.
    Car data: Sensor info, etc... My Cadillac already displays much of this, so I could probably find out how to tap into that easily enough. The CB7, not so much. Best I could do with my current knowledge is run a Hulog from my P28 via USB.
    Phone connectivity: Bluetooth integrated into the car's audio system.
    Camera control: I'd like to have multiple small cameras running at all times, recording data continuously to the SSD.

Anyway, those are my ideas. At least those I could get down before I forgot what i was dreaming about as I began this thread!

I'm really just looking for more interesting ideas on what such a computer could be used for (adding to the list above), or clever solutions to make it happen.

I saw this thing on another forum, was someone installing a flush mounted Ipad that seems to be all hooked up to a Suburu. Not sure if it was hooked up to the ECU etc, but it does good amount of things.

Heres a video, might want to skip some bits, theres alot of drama lol. But you can get the idea what they trying to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=u-ALYArl5S4#!

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
    UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
    NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

the only thing that comes to mind for me is a nice tablet like the MS Surface. A Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. a usb hub and all that good stuff. Cut into the dash and mount it. then take it out at night so it dont get stolen. thats all i got
      visit vgruk

Comment

That's pretty awesome!
        I've seen a few instances of tablets installed in the dash, but that's the best (and easiest) I've seen. It wouldn't be too easy to integrate it with other stuff, though.

And it's awesome that Australian dollars are comparable to American dollars... so all the prices mentioned there can be applied in my case

Comment

I've actually been thinking about this a bit lately as well.

I think getting some dual or quad core ARM processor and slapping on a quality capacitive touch screen, like the face of any modern tablet, and finally throwing the Android Open Source Project on there. I would give it it's own dedicated rechargable Lithium battery, and the software could be easily modifiable to use the automobile inputs for actions. For instance, it can be wired with constant power, ignition / accessory power signals, etc. so it can go to sleep/low-power mode on its own, or come on with accessory power etc.

If you wanted to get really insane, you could even tie it in with the ECU and engine sensors, to work as a tuning instrument etc. You could go one further and hook it up with user-based input, like turn signals, headlights, map/dome/accessory lights too, and you could pitch to Google to modify their Navigation software to take queues from driver actions and the like to help with navigation (although Google is pretty good at that already, ).

Anyway, I've given this some thought as well, . I'm a software and hardware engineer, gone to school for six years for both disciplines, and just generally enjoy that kind of work.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1045915...125039/Gearbox
          https://picasaweb.google.com/1045915...125039/Etching

Comment

Holy crap, that's all stuff you've done?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              That's pretty awesome!
              I've seen a few instances of tablets installed in the dash, but that's the best (and easiest) I've seen. It wouldn't be too easy to integrate it with other stuff, though.

And it's awesome that Australian dollars are comparable to American dollars... so all the prices mentioned there can be applied in my case
              Deev, if you decide to install this in your cb as well please, please post a diy. i would like to stick a tablet in my cb...android though
              visit vgruk

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Holy crap, that's all stuff you've done?
                Yeah, those are a few photos from random projects I mysteriously decided to photograph; etching circuit boards at home and in my apartment, and the album with the oscilloscope was me trying to retrofit a DC/DC converter control chip to work as a brushed DC motor controller with active braking. The DC/DC chip has such high demand (in PCs and the like) that it was about 20x cheaper than the equivalent motor controller chip, and twice as powerful/capable.

Anyway, yeah, those are things I've done. It's fun stuff!

Comment

Well beyond me, but that's awesome!

And Ryan, if I go the tablet route (which might end up happening... we shall see...) I'll definitely do a DIY.
                  Actually, whatever I do, I'll try to do a DIY. Chances are good that I'll be asking for help with every step, so my efforts will be well documented!

Comment

Here is something i was thinking of;

First - using what deev was describing about being able to tune the engine. I think this is pretty much means the pc would have to be hardwired and mounted under dash or in the trunk.

Second- adding all the stuff you could do with a tablet. 1 - You could do some tuning from under the hood using the tablet. 2 - Web browsing from the driver's seat or back seat or from outside the car. 3 - Remote starter. etc etc etc.

The possibilities are endless. Car maintenance reports / reminders. Engine condition reports. All the parts are available to do this. There has even been a few people that has already done it.

Very interesting!

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

The ECU tuning bit would actually be one of the easier things to implement (though running a Windows-based system would probably be the best option.)
                      Well, easy in the CB7, anyway. Not really an option in some other makes, though they may be supported by other companies with similar products.

That would make it a breeze to simply mount everything hidden under the dash.

Some people actually use an emulator like that full-time, rather than burning chips constantly.

Comment

I'm not sure if you remember the last thread you made about trying to get a computer into your car but i had posted a link to a motherboard that was like chump change that ran Android. Anyhow, there's a Droid app called Torque that when paired with an OBD2 bluetooth connector, that can read straight from the car's ECU.

here's it's website.

http://torque-bhp.com/

but yeah I was thinking about getting one of those connectors as they are only like 20 bucks or less and using it with my phone to tell me instantly what my MPGs are or distance to empty, hell it can even clear trouble codes if needed.

Comment

Check this out

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-SYSTEMS-CO...ndroid+mini+pc

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                            I'm not sure if you remember the last thread you made about trying to get a computer into your car but i had posted a link to a motherboard that was like chump change that ran Android. Anyhow, there's a Droid app called Torque that when paired with an OBD2 bluetooth connector, that can read straight from the car's ECU.

here's it's website.

http://torque-bhp.com/

but yeah I was thinking about getting one of those connectors as they are only like 20 bucks or less and using it with my phone to tell me instantly what my MPGs are or distance to empty, hell it can even clear trouble codes if needed.
                            I don't remember the one you mentioned (I know, i make one of these threads every few months... I keep making new ones so the conversation doesn't get too scattered... and technology is changing so quickly!)

I just picked up one of those OBD2 wireless thingies, actually. Meant to use it with my iPhone, but the only software that seems to work with it costs $50 or so... so, that's not happening! I'll have to find software for my netbook.
                            But yeah, that would be an easier solution for getting certain data about the engine.

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                            That's pretty sweet!

Comment

Its stuff like leung's post that makes me wish my cb was obd2
                              visit vgruk

Comment

Working...
                              X