Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a rare car in the Junkyard today. Sad sad day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhatAccord View Post
    those "jack stands" look safe... so safe, i would crawl under the car... yeah
    Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    They're welded together. Quite safe, actually. It's standard practice for junkyards pretty much everywhere.
    ^what deev said. 2 of the 3 junkyards close to me do this, the other one just throws the damn things down in the dirt......

also, I have always liked Volvo's too but have never owned one. My best friends family kept getting one though and never had any major problems with any of theirs. when one would get wrecked, they would go buy another.
    1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
    1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
    1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
    1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Found a Volvo Amazon wagon at the wreckers once. Car was damn near pristine inside and out...until closer inspection, the owner had put the car into the ditch and rolled it onto the front corner of the roof, crushing the A-pillar and front edge of the roof on the passenger side, as well as ripping off the pass. side front wheel.

At it's age, the roof damage was enough to write the car off.

I went back a couple weekends later and the car was still sitting in the yard...but it was a bare shell. There's a few Volvo junkies around my area and these guys stripped it clean!

Looked identical to this
      Last edited by crazymikey; 10-01-2013, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        They're welded together. Quite safe, actually. It's standard practice for junkyards pretty much everywhere.
        Ah. makes sense. i've never seen that done before. all the local yards around me use 2 feet pole stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Sadly, many junkyards here in the States don't allow this. Some certainly do, but if it's a corporately-owned facility you can almost guarantee that they won't sell it to you. I tried to buy a 1995 2-door Legend 6-speed once and it didn't matter how much money I threw down, they were crushing it.
          In Australia they just recently enacted a law whereby a car can now easily be written off and its VIN number cancelled even if the vehicle can be easily repaired.

In an accident an insurance assessor will determine if the car is repairable or not. If no longer repairable the the car is tagged as an unrepairable write off parts only car.

In practice the decision of declaring a car unrepairable is due to financial decision rather than the car is actually too damaged to be repaired. Insurance companies pay the market value rather than repairing as it is cheaper for them to pay the reduced market value of the vehicle rather than fixing it.

This would have been fine if the old vehicle was not black listed as "can no longer be registered". That is how it used to be but they now changed it.

Result is a huge number of cars being funneled for destruction.

Winners:
          --------
          Wreckers or Junk Yards are happy (glutton of cars to be wrecked being cheaper in Auctions),

Government is happy (as more parts available for sale in Auctions and JY increasing Tax revenue)

The car manufacturers are happy (as destruction of older cars accelerating new car purchases)

Government happy again due to more Tax on Sales

Loosers are:
          ------------
          General public as they are forced to buy a new car that depreciates

Poor people as their car is old and any accident will deem that car a writeoff

The Environment as more and more people increase consumption of new cars and less cars are actually recycled via the Used car market.

They said it was to combat theft and rebirthing of cars but it smells alot like a front to gain revenue and satisfy the business sentiments of stimulating sales.

Another bureaucratic BS plan like the cash for Klunkers that was for the benefit of the environment but really was to increase sales of new cars and increase tax revenue.
          Rides:

Accord
          92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
          96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
          88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
          95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
          91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Sadly, many junkyards here in the States don't allow this. Some certainly do, but if it's a corporately-owned facility you can almost guarantee that they won't sell it to you. I tried to buy a 1995 2-door Legend 6-speed once and it didn't matter how much money I threw down, they were crushing it.
            Well in Australia it is now no longer possible to buy a car from the JY as most of them will be Not registrable, unless it is from an owner that just drove in and sold it to the JY to be destroyed. Chances of that is occurring while you are there with a car that you are interested in is very minute.

Don't know how it is in the states but even if the JY wants to sell you the car to be repaired they can no longer do so.

Buying from the JY is how I got my rare CB4 4ws original JDM vehicle. But it sucks all of the cars in the JY with minor damages are now set for destruction.
            Rides:

Accord
            92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
            96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
            88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
            95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
            91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

Id so rock that car.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by JDMDriver View Post
                Well in Australia it is now no longer possible to buy a car from the JY as most of them will be Not registrable, unless it is from an owner that just drove in and sold it to the JY to be destroyed. Chances of that is occurring while you are there with a car that you are interested in is very minute.

Don't know how it is in the states but even if the JY wants to sell you the car to be repaired they can no longer do so.

Buying from the JY is how I got my rare CB4 4ws original JDM vehicle. But it sucks all of the cars in the JY with minor damages are now set for destruction.
                Always seems to be the case when it comes to nice gems in the JY. And we can't buy them out usually. Just depends on where it is you go really.
                The CB7 Collector.
                Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                92 LX Coupe F22A1
                2013 Toyota Corolla S
                92 EX Sedan F22A1
                Originally posted by deevergote
                Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Working...
                X