No announcement yet.

Vacation scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruises are a dime a dozen and its a fallacy to think anyone reading this thread cannot afford one.

Quality cruises, well thats another story but still within reach of the costs associated with signing up. I take cruises all the time, fancy ones too. I just got to work, so, in like 30-60 minutes I'll look up some shit and give you the details.

There are hidden costs with cruises, like port access fee's and taxes and shit that aren't included in the quoted initial costs and Im sure those apply to this as well.

Some cruises are all inclusive, others have shitty accomodations. Theres more to a cruise than that though, and frequently you can find cheap tickets on a cruise if you shop around. My wife and I have taken a quality Carribean cruise for as cheap as $550(275 each) pretty regularly and we have found tickets for $99 plenty of the years of traveling.

Being in the port of departure costs money. I mean, if you live in Ohio but the cruise ports in New Orleans its not free to get there. You follow? That is some of the other costs involved with a cruise that make shit so expensive. The costs of a cruise ticket isn't THAT absurd at all. Especially for short cruises. I like to do 7-10 day jobbies. They offer 2 night 3 day cruises as well. Obviously, much cheaper.

The shit is all in the details as to why this program is a rip-off. Bottom line, nothing stops you(the consumer) from getting straight to the cruise company and buying a ticket. There isn't THAT much room for discount in the first place.

Cruises aren't that expensive. You'll likely spend as much or more on the plane ticket to get there and the hotel you stay in on the first and last day.

*** EDIT***

OK, Im back.

http://www.cheapcruises.com/results....14&Search.y=7#

Cruises from $102 per person for 4 days

Departs From Miami, Florida visiting Nassau, Bahamas >> Cococay (Cruiseline Private Island) >> Key West, Florida

Just sayin......

And this isn't some schmuck, bullshit ass cruise. Royal Carribean isn't the beez kneez but its far from a carnival quality cruise. Interior rooms aren't that awesome, but, a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

I doubt you get a suite for what this program offers either. $55/Month, $69 for the ticket, $200 entry fee.

Thats like $324 right away. For that money you can take a week long cruise and still have a few bucks to spare. Then, $55/month? Im assuming its per person, meaning if you wanted to include your WIFE/girlfriend it would be double. Thats like $660/Year/person + cost of ticket and the entry fee. So take 1 cruise and you are looking at $660+$69+$200 for the year, per person. Thats $929 per person and you've only got one cruise out of the deal. Add another cruise, $995.

How many cruises you plan on going on this year? What kind of cruise can you find for $500/person? As I already showed, you can find much cheaper cruises. Also, you would be able to shop for whatever you wanted, as opposed to accepting whats available through that program.

Lol

Yeah, ok.

I think anyone with simple math skills can figure out the catch here. Anyone that takes cruises regularly would know right off the bat this is bullshit.

BTW, I take cruises regularly.
    Last edited by toycar; 11-14-2013, 10:41 AM.
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I like that site....Think I might use that for Spring Break. Definitely doing Carnival though, no Royal Caribbean.
      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

The magic of a thing like that is to draw people in, get them to pay money up front, and encourage them to get others to pay money. I'm sure someone worked out the percentage of people that actually take the vacations, vs. the people that simply throw their money away. Somewhere in there, profit is to be made. Not to mention I'm sure whatever companies they go through for the vacation arrangements offer some kickback as well.

I'm with toycar on this one. No need to deal with any sort of pyramid scheme. If you want to go on a vacation, save your pennies and make it happen the way you want it!
        Remember, somewhere in that scheme, there are a number of people making money. They're getting paid by what you (and those you recruit) pay in. Cut out the middle man.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
          I like that site....Think I might use that for Spring Break. Definitely doing Carnival though, no Royal Caribbean.
          Either ship line has their individual perks. I think the drinks/entertainment is better on RC but Carnival has better food and night life.

My suggestion if you are serious about it;

Start shopping now. You can find great rates this far in advance and you can book now and pay later if you'd like. Ocean view rooms tend to bit a little bit larger. Either way the rooms are pretty small unless you get a suite.

Read the fine print. You don't want to get on a cruise that requires you to buy every meal. You at the least want a couple free drinks a 3 squares a day included.

Good luck, let us know what you find! We usually rent a car and drive down to New Orleans and then return the car when we get there. Its actually only a few more bucks to rent a car vs paying to store yours, and you have the peace of mind to know that you baby is safe at home.

Stay at a hotel, get a taxi to the port and then reverse to get home. I usually arrange all of this before I leave home so that everything goes smooth.
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

The nice thing about living in a coastal state is that if I want to go on a cruise, I can just hop on a train that will take me right to the port

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              The nice thing about living in a coastal state is that if I want to go on a cruise, I can just hop on a train that will take me right to the port
              Yeah that would be so awesome!!!

I've read about daily cruises, nightly parties and such that also come with living port side. I would be all over stuff like that if I lived anywhere near an ocean.

I caught the ship to Catalina island last week just because I happened to have an afternnon off and was in Newport Beach. Totally worth it. I love spending time on a boat in the ocean.

I went crabbing and caught my own dinner. It was fucking tits!!!

Im hoping to get some ocean fishing time in the 3rd week of December when I go back out there.

Comment

Cruises really are the way to go if money is limited. You get a LOT of travel for a little bit of money. I mean, basically, it's just a fancy floating hotel... but still, it's an experience!
                I've never been on one, but my friend has been selling me on them over the past few years.

Comment

Working...
                X