A little food for thought on this trend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
    Come to southwest Texas and I'll show you some really badly textured roads.
    Come to east Atlanta, or even downtown. I hope you like metal plates.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
      Lol, yeah TX roads suck for other reasons. Random dips in roads with speed limits of 75 suck, and so does the rough pavement they tend to use in South TX, North TX has more potholes and construction related issues in the Metroplex.
      I know what you're talking about! The last time I was in Texas (also the first time I was in Texas...) we drove from Dallas to Austin. We encountered a few situations like that! We also had a Corolla packed with luggage and 4 adults.

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      LOL @ whoever hits that pothole in a stanced car. Imagine hitting on at night on the highway with a stanced car.....

rim = bye bye

& I have never seen a stanced car in NS, Canada. Roads are horrible here.
      I whacked a small pothole at 65mph on a NYC highway coming home from a meet. Did major damage. And I was lowered less than 2"! No camber kit, but far from "stanced". I can only imagine the damage it would do when the primary contact point is the edge of the wheel! Of course, it's on the inside, so who cares, right?

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
      10,000 miles? Try 100 or less in some cases.

I've had a CB with -3.8* camber in the front and couldn't even get close to 10,000 miles on a set of tires. I think I made it 6000.
      After I broke my camber kit and put it back to stock (no alignment), I got 7,000 miles to a set of tires. Granted, that was likely toe wear as well as camber.
      I love that people STILL say "camber doesn't cause wear. it's only toe." It's both. That's like saying "You can't overdose on cocaine. only heroin!"

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        After I broke my camber kit and put it back to stock (no alignment), I got 7,000 miles to a set of tires. Granted, that was likely toe wear as well as camber.
        I love that people STILL say "camber doesn't cause wear. it's only toe." It's both. That's like saying "You can't overdose on cocaine. only heroin!"
        It's music to my ears to hear someone say this.

And when you try to tell them otherwise it falls on deaf ears.

Toe was corrected on mine. But tires were not new to start with. Estimated 3/4 life when lowered.

People act like 10,000 to 15,000 miles on a set of tires is a lot. Like it's considered a good life expectancy for tires. I had Viva 2's from Walmart on my 93 LX in 195/60R15. Those are 60,000 mile tires. Not that you will surely get that but with a proper alignment and normal use you will get close. You can easily expect to get half. But still yet 30,000 miles is a whole heck of a lot more than 10,000 to 15,000 miles. For me 10k to 15k is a few months. To often to be changing tires.

Comment

Properly aligned all-season tires, driven conservatively, should last AT LEAST 40,000 miles. My General Altimax HP tires last at least that long, and I tend to dive into corners as if I were racing quite regularly... not to mention I haven't had an alignment in years!

Improperly aligned toe will kill tires faster than negative camber... but both should be within spec to ensure proper tire life.

Comment

What tires did you run on the Fit? I ask because you've drove the wheels off that thing.

Comment

That's what I have on the Fit. General Altimax HP. Great tires for the price! I actually have a new pair ready to go on the front waiting in the basement. I should get on that.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                10,000 miles? Try 100 or less in some cases.

I've had a CB with -3.8* camber in the front and couldn't even get close to 10,000 miles on a set of tires. I think I made it 6000.
                Wow ! Didn't know it was that bad.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

Originally posted by DAKOTADEMON7 View Post
                  Wow ! Didn't know it was that bad.
                  The guys you see with a few inches of tire on the pavement seriously only get a hundred or so miles out of a set of tires.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  That's what I have on the Fit. General Altimax HP. Great tires for the price! I actually have a new pair ready to go on the front waiting in the basement. I should get on that.
                  I figured but I had to ask. They are priced really decent.

Comment

When I bought my Civic 2 years ago it came with brand new Good Year Eagle all-seasons. 40k miles later and I am going to have to get new tires in the next few months.
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

That mileage for the guys running camber is a little off. I run a little over -3 degrees and my tires last well over 10,000 miles without flipping the tires. Flip the tires and they will last even longer. Seriously, do you guys even get an alignment? And how often?

Most guys that run large amounts of negative camber also flip their tires and most of them also have another car that isn't set up the same. Also, they tend to get their cars aligned quite often.

I understand how dangerous it can be, but most of these guys drive their cars to meets or photoshoots and that's it.

Comment

Flipping the tires so you can ride on the other sidewall, after the first side has already been worn and weakened? Great idea.

I wouldn't say "most" in terms of getting frequent alignments OR only driving to shows, shoots, and meets... I see absurdly stanced cars quite regularly... and judging by the condition of many of those cars, I seriously doubt the owners are shelling out $65+ on a regular basis for an alignment!

Comment

What does having the car aligned regularly accomplish?
                          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                            That mileage for the guys running camber is a little off. I run a little over -3 degrees and my tires last well over 10,000 miles without flipping the tires. Flip the tires and they will last even longer. Seriously, do you guys even get an alignment? And how often?

Most guys that run large amounts of negative camber also flip their tires and most of them also have another car that isn't set up the same. Also, they tend to get their cars aligned quite often.

I understand how dangerous it can be, but most of these guys drive their cars to meets or photoshoots and that's it.
                            I don't know what to tell ya. Been there and done it and that was the outcome.

Flipping the tires is just ridiculous. So once you have one side wore completely out you flip it around so the part that's wore faces the outside. Because that's even more safe. Not to mention most are running directional tires and all tires have an inside and and outside. They wouldn't balance worth a crap with one side wore either. And among it all the tires needs to be stretched again over a wheel way to wide for the tire. Any tire shop who would accept that job needs to find another kind of business to run.

Yeah, we do get alignments. Just like we said we did. Seriously.

They don't get their cars aligned often. Imagine rolling into a tire shop with half the tires touching the ground and asking for an alignment. It's unlikely that the machine would even get a reading if they tried. To set it up the way they like people adjust everything in their garage or out on the flattest street they can find. Tape measures, string and laser lights are commonly used to align it the way they desire.

I'm not against people doing it and taking the car to a meet or a photoshoot. They just shouldn't drive it on the road. Like you said, it's dangerous. It's dangerous no matter how frequent. Someone who will sacrifice the well being of others in order to get what they want is kind of selfish.

Comment

Working...
                            X