Future Legend owner? Maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future Legend owner? Maybe?

So I was shopping around for a beater to use while I put the cb down for a rebuild and I stumbled across this gem, if you can call it that:
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4924070240.html

It's a little beat, but definitely could be a diamond in the rough. What do you guys think?

YouTube Clicky!!

"cracked" head gasket? so... blown gasket, or cracked head? It may be pretty expensive to repair. But it also might not be that expensive to find some heads from another similar motor? Beaters with body issues is one thing, but beaters with serious engine problems are another......

It looks like it could use some love, and some paint. It would be work, but could be really nice. Legends are beautiful cars.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

That thing is begging for a C35B swap.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        That thing is begging for a C35B swap.
        There are plenty of those at pull a part.

Hell there was a six speed legend there when I went last time. About 2 weeks ago. Type II too.

I offered 500 last week, the buyer believes they can get more. I should offer 600 this week and explain logically why.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I can tell you from experience... a non-running car is a HARD sell... so I'd say sit on your offer until he comes around. You're offering more than the scrap value of it, and if he was willing/able to part it out, he'd have done so already (or just fixed it.)

I absolutely LOVE the 2nd gen Legend coupe. 6 speed manual, respectable 230hp from that Type II. The C35A found in the followup RL actually made LESS power, though with greater displacement... and the C35B was never actually in a production vehicle, to my knowledge...
          I say fix the C32A, or replace it with the same.

I say hold out, or offer $600. I wouldn't go any higher. The body looks decent, but you're going to have to fix that engine (possibly replace it, if it's bad enough), the front seats are absolutely trashed, and who knows what other issues it has (since you won't be able to test drive it!) For all you know, it could have a wonky braking system, blown suspension, and transmission issues!

Still, for $500-$600, if you have the space, money, and desire to fix it up... that's potentially a very beautiful car.

Comment

Do it. J or C swap it. I'm not sure if the tranny will bolt up to the j-series but whatever. The car looks like it's lived in our area for most of its life too cause it's not rusted a bit from what I see in the pictures. And that interior dude! Do it

Comment

Legend engine bay:

2003 Accord V6 (J) engine bay:

Do you see what the potential problem would be there?

Comment

All I know about that generation legend is that I want the front lips and they came with 5 cylinder engines. And that you can use the tranny in c27 swaps. And yes I see the problem lol, it looks rwd o.o

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                  Do it. J or C swap it. I'm not sure if the tranny will bolt up to the j-series but whatever. The car looks like it's lived in our area for most of its life too cause it's not rusted a bit from what I see in the pictures. And that interior dude! Do it
                  No one on the Legend forums have been able to do a swap on this car.

Someone swapped an NSX motor into a first gen Legend, but that's it.

There are barely any turbo'd Legends either. A few good examples, but only a handful, literally.

These cars are known for blowing the headgaskets, but can be fixed.

Lastly, Honda doesn't really make any new parts for the 2nd gen Legend. For example, I have read on the forums that Honda does not have any OEM axles for this car. Therefore, most Legend owners actually have their old OEM axles rebuilt because most of the aftermarket ones are garbage.

Good luck if you end up picking up this car.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    All I know about that generation legend is that I want the front lips and they came with 5 cylinder engines. And that you can use the tranny in c27 swaps. And yes I see the problem lol, it looks rwd o.o
                    No. Just... no.

Every single Legend ever made, anywhere, came with a V6. And what would you be using that transmission for in a C27 swap anyway? The C27 was never used in a longitudinal configuration.

Comment

What he means to say is that the manual transmission in the first generation Legend can be used to convert the 1995-1997 Accord V6 to a 5-speed.

And Deev, you were right about the C35B. The way Acura switched from A to B with the NSX engines when going from the C30 to the C32 threw me off. Good catch.
                      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I'll admit I looked it up before saying anything about it I initially thought that it may have been an RL engine. I'm actually surprised that the RL made less power than the Legend, even with the bigger engine. The first gen RL had the longitudinal mount as well, I believe. Since all the 1st gen RLs came automatic, I wonder how difficult it would be to use the Legend's 6 speed manual in a swap... I GREATLY prefer the Legend to the RL, but it would still be a pretty interesting thing to see!

And yeah, the 1st gen Legend's 5 speed manual can be used to swap the Accord's auto to manual... but that has pretty much nothing to do with the Legend being discussed here. Totally different chassis, engine, mounting layout...

The 5 cylinder engine came in the Vigor and 2.5TL (in the US. There were G20s and G25s in other models elsewhere.) That engine was indeed longitudinally mounted, like the Legend's V6. Came in auto and 5 speed manual. I also wonder if it would be possible to use the Legend's 6 speed on the Vigor/2.5TL's G25A...

Comment

Six speed RL?
                          That's an idea. Did the Honda legends across the pond come in manual?

The electronics would be the hard part. I'd imagine the RL complaining about its missing slush box.

I always assume all legends have a blown headgasket, unless they prove that the work was done by a reputable shop. I didn't know about the axle thing, though.
                          Last edited by sonikaccord; 04-02-2015, 02:38 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

The RL (Legend) had a manual option in other countries, yes. Not sure if it was paired with the same engine.

I wonder about how it would run. You're right, the ECU might freak out more than our OBD1 systems do. Might be easier to simply convert the RL to OBD1 and swap in an entire Legend engine and transmission!

I still hate that this Legend was never made to be RWD, or given a V8. It had all the necessary things to compete with the LS400 and Q45, and it would've given Acura a much higher standing in the Japanese luxury market. The LS400 put Lexus at the top... but I feel a RWD V8-powered Legend likely would've toppled the LS400. It's better looking (doesn't look like a Benz rip-off), and it may be Honda snobbery here... but I feel it's better-made!

Comment

honestly if that was up here i would buy that car! I have been looking for a 6 speed legend FOREVER. you just dont see them anymore, and if you do, they are in junkyards.

Comment

Working...
                              X