Anyone own a motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone own a motorcycle?

Hey guys. Been considering a bike. What do I need in order to own & ride in NJ?

I'm guessing I need a license, some lessons, and a bike (in that order)
    • When is a good time to purchase a bike (to get a good price)?
    • Where can one find New/Newer (2003+) bikes for a good deal?
    • Where is a good place to take lessons + how much?
    • Any good books and/or magazines one could recommend to learn about bikes?
    • any good boards (like cb7tuner) about Honda bikes?

I know almst nothing about bikes, any help would be appreciated!

im guessing you want a crotch rocket. if you cant ride, i'd stick to something small. you want a honda, id suggest the cbr 600.

i want a bike too lol. ive ridden a couple times and its pretty easy, but real fuckin fast.

Comment

Originally posted by ckyskater733
      im guessing you want a crotch rocket. if you cant ride, i'd stick to something small. you want a honda, id suggest the cbr 600.

i want a bike too lol. ive ridden a couple times and its pretty easy, but real fuckin fast.
      yea, i've wanted a bike for a long time also...im thinking of getting one this winter, when they are all on sale and such....im thinking either Honda or Yamaha.
      Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

best bet is to find an MSF course to take. I did that with no prior riding experience, and feel that I can get a bike, and take it to the parking lots to perfect b4 venturing onto the streets.

Best bet for starting out is a ninja 250.. im actually chatting with a guy RIGHT NOW to finally get one. They are durable, hold their value like a honda, and usually you can sell it for very close to what you paid for it. You dont want a bigger bike to start cuz you will kill yourself. I wanted a 600.. but biggest I would go for starter is 500.

Its all about practicing. You start showing off before you have ridden for quite a while, and you'll go down.

Another quick one.. find a forum, and just read up.. there is LOTS of info waiting to be read. I am over at www.sportbikes.net

Sure i'll post more in a few.. gotta see if i can get the bike this weekend

Comment

Yep, I've been seriously considering a bike myself lately.....either a Honda CBR600 or a Yamaha R6.
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by aero3685

Best bet for starting out is a ninja 250.. im actually chatting with a guy RIGHT NOW to finally get one.
            gotta wait a week to see if he sells it locally... hopefully it doesnt sell.

But I would say the best time to purchase is coming up since its getting colder up north, and instead of hibernating the bike for the winter, its easier to sell. And obviously most people wont be buying since they cant do anything with it for 3-6 months anyways.

i'll edit more as i come to think of it.

Oh yeah, insurance aint too bad as long as you dont have full coverage. This is where it comes in handy to not have a very popular or flashy bike since you dont want someone to steal it. I was quoted at 500/yr for a 600 with not minimum coverage.. but kinda a basic deal. Not too bad if you ask me, since my minimum car insurance is like 1600/yr. Time to sell the car

But then again, it comes down to your states rules and regulations.

edit: this is a very nice insurance calculator... shows where the money is coming from, so you can customize it to your likings. Pretty quick loading aswell.

http://affinity.progressive.com/prod...ode=8002100011
            Last edited by aero; 08-09-2005, 10:06 PM.

Comment

2002 kawasaki zx9 5000 miles new clutch 5000.0

Comment

VESPA live it love it i'll be buried with it.

Comment

I started riding this last January and after you start riding, I'll doubt you'll want to go back to 4 wheels (unless it's raining of course)

In order to get a good concept of riding, I would suggest taking the MSF course first, especially if you have no dirt bike or street bike experience. And in CA, you get the license after taking the course
                  . The only thing is that if you're over the age of 21, it's $225, but $75 if you're still a minor.

The best deals are to be found in the Classifieds. And plan on buying during the winter; you'll save up to $1000 compared to buying during riding season.

I picked up a Ninja 250 as my own first bike. I started on my friend's GSX-R 600 and it bit me in the ass (dropped). You may say "It's only a 250", but if you don't respect what is revving between your legs, you prolly shouldn't be wanting to ride. All the new 600 bikes whether it's an R6, ZX-6RR, GSX-R 600, CBR 600RR, etc. are all f*cking fast and should not be your first bike (unless you've ridden streets or dirt). They'll easily get you to 60 MPH before you get halfway down your block in first gear.

For your first bike Ninja 250 or 500 would be good. Also the SV-650 would be a nice starter bike (a little torquey, but won't get you into so much trouble, until you go canyons).

Read up on books that talk about actually riding. Try to avoid magazines for now, since they talk about how fast all the bikes nowadays are and it may influence you to go too fast or try stunts.

Insurance for anything 600 and below is really cheap. I only have liability and its approx $250 for the year.

And you definitely need gear. Not only a helmet, but a jacket and gloves. Always wear this stuff, plus long jeans and high or mid-top shoes. And try to get the better equipment like Arai or Shoei helmets instead of a HJC or Icon. Yes, they are $300 + but, you get what you pay for. My friend had a HJC and when he fell, the shield came up (because HJC's, nor Icons for that matter, don't have a locking mechanism) and he broke his nose. And try to get a leather jacket and gloves, because in case you fall, leather will allow you to slide across the pavement, while textile gear will tear up on you and expose you to the pavement.

If you say, "I'll never fall" or "Nothing will go wrong when I ride", you should not be considering riding. Because in case you don't remember, there are cars out there and most of them DO NOT give a f*ck about you on your bike. They won't see you, they won't be paying attention and some will try to start sh*t with you for the basic fact that you are on two wheels.

You must have excellent body control and steady manuevering and nerves of steel. Cuz if you panic, down you go.

I'm not trying to be a dick or deter you guys from riding. I think more people should be riding out there. It would make the world a better place. Just know that you have much more responsibility being on two wheels and you can't be dickin' around cuz you're faster than everyone else.

I hope you guys wanting to ride take your time learning this artform. It's so much fun (especially when you start canyon carving, leaning over, knees to the ground doing up to 90 or 100 in the corners, but not when you start riding )

Also good info on 250's and newbie riding in general can be found here

Good luck to you and hope to see you on two wheels!
                  Last edited by XLR Azn; 08-10-2005, 03:26 PM.

Comment

If it's your first bike, I would suggest getting an older bike. By older I mean 80's to early 90's. The reasoning behind this is experience. You're a new rider w/ no prior riding experience, so if you get an older bike for like $500 and you dump it or break something, you won't feel as bad. Plus parts are cheaper for those. Off the top of my head, i'd suggest a Honda 1980 CB650. A capable bike that does highway speeds and can be had for cheap. After a few months or so, I'd say go get the rocket and have fun
                    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                    ┴─┴
                    ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

I just found out Feirleigh Dickinson University offers a course for a few hundred bucks that lets you ride on a real bike (no scooters, ) and take the exam on campus. You can get your liscense literally in a few days. No waiting at the DMV (except for the new license & photo, etc)

Comment

Imma get a 750cc bike

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordlxtuner
                          I just found out Feirleigh Dickinson University offers a course for a few hundred bucks that lets you ride on a real bike (no scooters, ) and take the exam on campus. You can get your liscense literally in a few days. No waiting at the DMV (except for the new license & photo, etc)

Thats what the MSF course offers. Check with your local Harley Davidson/Buell dealership for information, they usually offer the courses. I paid 299 for my course, and it was WELL worth the money. Then all I had to do was go to the dmv, pay 15 bux for a new license, and got my motorcycle endorsement.

At our events, we rode buell blasts, and they are either a 250 or a 500.

I got the bike that i was talking about above, now waiting on gear and getting tags before I can set out on the roads, but its fun... already done quite a bit of customizing to it.

And with gas prices rising (not that us with honda's really have to worry...) my bike gets from 55-75mpg. not too bad if you ask me

Comment

I need to say that you better know you like sport bikes before you buy one. Not everyone finds them comfortable or very fun. I prefer street bikes myself. Give me like a 3-400cc bike and I'll be happy, but riding sport bikes always pains my neck and back.

I know too many people who decided to get a powerful bike when they've never riden before, they usually drop it like the second day they get it. Don't make me have to say I told you so. Oh and I don't have a license.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                            where you been, is something wrong?
                            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Working...
                            X