Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone catch this? Expelled because of lesbian parents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone catch this? Expelled because of lesbian parents...

Here's the story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050923/...ians__daughter

There was a statement they released, which you can see here:

http://www.ocschools.org/letterfromsuperintendent.pdf

and that lead me to more questions, so I wrote them an e-mail. I exaggerated a few points and didn't take the time to break my habit of run-on sentances, I havn't really found my religion, and it's actually more buddhist than anything, but whatever, this was my email:

Hello,
    I'm sure you're plagued with e-mails full of convictions and rants and so forth due to the media getting a hold of the story of the girl getting expelled, so while I am an avid supporter of *** rights and acceptance, I assure you I'll steer clear of said convictions and spare you the pains of one of my favorite debates, if you would do me the honor of reading on. I have read your statement, and it brings more questions than answers. There is one thing I would like to know, and make sure the ministry has thoroughly considered. It is a noble intention to want to include the whole family in the education of a student, however, I don't see the benefit in making this a requirement. While parental involvement is critical in the proper growth and development of a child, it is a sad fact that many parents simply aren't there, don't have time, or have some affliction which keeps their involvement to a minimum, if they are involved at all. Another possibility can be conceived by the situation in my family. I am decedent of various sects of strong Christians- Baptist, Episcopalian, Methodist, and Catholic. However, now as I come of age, because Christianity is taught from a historic point of view, a point of view I could never understand very well, I am looking into other religions, and proceeding to, as it is written, "try the spirit," question and discover for myself if I have reason to have faith in what can never be known. It has greatly benefitted me in that before I had to question the accuracy of a historic pass down, and now I can say with assertion that there is a god. I can better understand what it is I'm supposed to know when following an Abrahamic religion, now that I've figured out how they all come together, the result being able to use Judaism's more scientific approach, which I understand better, as a definition for the message of Christianity. But say it were the other way and I was the strong, to the word, one sect Christian, while my family ran with my hybrid religion. In that case, while I would be interested in enriching my life both through religion and education, my opportunity would be denied because my family couldn't or perhaps wasn’t capable of taking the word for what it was. Why is it that, if I were young enough to be in one of your schools and were in any one of these situations, because my parents aren't on the same page with me, I would lose out on the benefit of a fine, carefully selected (as obviously you would research a private school) education? Yes, I know, it would seem I just answered my own question in that you research a school before you join, and if you don't agree to the specifics of it, don't join. Be that as it may, the fact remains that you don't offer the opportunity, and I was hoping you could offer some justification for it, and I would like to suggest that perhaps you include the answer in your statement to the public. Which, by the way, mentions a voluntary partnership with parents, while requiring that at least one parent be eligible for said voluntary partnership, apparently should the partnership be accepted or not. I can thoroughly understand a family oriented curriculum, however I can not understand the reason for a lack of flexibility, should a student desire an education but have been blessed with a unique experience (their parents) rather than with a life free of the stressors of the uncommon. Or, perhaps better stated, why, if this is a voluntary partnership, there aren't restrictions on simply the partnership, rather than the pupil's eligibility.
    Thank you for your time,
    F.D. Tristan Webster

So what's your take on this event?

Tristan,

I think your points are valid, however Christian schools like the one that expelled that girl won't be interested. They have a narrow ideal that rises above all reason and common sense --- it's literally blind faith. Sounds dangerous because it obviously is. Bottom line: they don't need "justification" to you or anyone else; they are a private institution. The girl's lesbian parents know this and will not be fighting it.

For anyone that didn't click the links, one of the parents of the girl is her birth mother, fer crissakes, but that isn't "good enough". Technically, the mother could be married to an abusive man and that would likely pass muster with the school unless part of the eligibility requirement involved an extensive family interview and analysis --- which I very highly doubt.

Such is the folly of defining a parent by gender and perceived influence, not by behavior and REAL influence. Fear is a very powerful thing when your mind is small.

In light of the situation, the expelled girl is likely to receive a better education elsewhere, whether she realizes it or not.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

i think im gona stop on some toes with this post, but before i do, i wana say that im a catholic, and somewhat religous.
      [rant]
      anyways, most religions, if not most are very closed minded. they dont care what anyone thinks, whatever they say go and are not open for change. which really pisses me off b/c all religions think they are correct in whatever they do, and all religions are different. they are all like stubborn little kids that want theire way and dont care what anyone else thinks. thats why i try not to mix religion with politics, b/c nothing will ever be settled between these 2 so loved topics.[/rant]

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

i didnt really read the thread cuz my allergies are making me lazy and my eyes hurt and what not..anywho..is this a christian school? if so i completley understand why she was expelled. homosexuality is against "Christian" ethics,values etc. it is not accpeted and is rebuked in the Bible.

Comment

this is why i'm against the bible...my mom is lesbian, and it pisses me off when people believe she is wrong or something, it's her own choice and i love her and support it.

Comment

Originally posted by jboyce
            this is why i'm against the bible...my mom is lesbian, and it pisses me off when people believe she is wrong or something, it's her own choice and i love her and support it.
            your against the bible? . . . wtf? im sorry about your situation . . . my family is facing a similar one at the moment . . . but i definitley dont hate the bible
            -Mark-
            CB7
            CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
            Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

one thing i've learned throughout teh years is never talk politics and religion. *shrugs*

Comment

Originally posted by jboyce
                yes i agree with you 100% on that. the bible is just a book not something we should follow our lives by. it has been changed so much since the orignal. i look as it as a history book not something i should live my life by. why do you think they call it the king james??? king james is the one that edited stuff out that he didn't feel apporiate. so religon is somethine i don't really care for this time in my life. i have asked for help from "GOD"....my brother was dyeing 3 months old in the hospital i prayed all the time. but did that help anything no. so i just kinda lost faith. after my brother passed on. so you all can say what you want about me but that is how i feel.

used condoms? wtf

Comment

Originally posted by irishone
                  one thing i've learned throughout teh years is never talk politics and religion. *shrugs*
                  One thing Ive learned throughout the years is to pay people I owe money to. *shrugs*
                  To-Do List for Today
                  Be Awesome

Comment

Politics and religion are touchy subjects. Keep this civil or I'll be using my delete button (and maybe my warning button...)

As for the subject at hand: I think it's crap. A perfect example of religious closed-mindedness. The family does not meet the requirements... bull. Anyone who can outwardly deny someone something based on sexuality, religion, race, etc... I just don't understand. The Bible may be the word of God, but it was written by the hand of men. Even more importantly, it's been translated, reworded, reinterpreted, and misunderstood for hundreds of years. I think there is a lot of good to be found in that book, but it can hardly be considered hard law. How many versions are out there?

The phrase "to lay with a man" in German (the closest relative to English) is "mit einem Mann legen" according to Google language tools. Now, when I put "mit einem Mann legen" back into that program, I get "put with a man" in English. That LITTLE sentence fragment bounced between languages gets corrupted already. Now try it with Aramaic, or Hebrew, or Latin... THEN put all those languages into French, English, German, Italian... Mix it all up, add in 500 years of superstitious witch hunters and corrupt politicians/churchmen (they were the same thing for quite some time) and see what you get. The word of God? Anyone who blindly follows such a book is a fool. The ONE message that seems to be clear in the Bible is that love reigns supreme. God loves everybody. We should all love God, and love each other likewise.

Also, if you want to look at homosexuality from an evolutionary standpoint (doesn't the Bible say evolution is wrong too? even though there is more evidence supporting evolution than anything in the Bible...) Homosexuality could very well be Nature's (or God's) way of controlling population. Homosexuals don't usually have children. Isn't it better to control population using homosexual love, rather than disease and distruction?

I could argue this point for hours, but I'll stop here. I probably typed too much for 95% of the people who look into this thread to bother reading anyway... I have yet to hear somebody present a strong argument on why homosexuality is wrong. Morals are personally definied (or for the weak minded, defined by religious figures and writings). Therefore moral arguments are just matters of opinion. Saying that sex is for procreation is also an opinion. Anyone who's ever used a condom has absolutely NO right in claiming that homosexuality is wrong.

Comment

To people quoting me, yes i support my moms "choice" to be a lesbian.

And regardless what anyone says, i'm still against the bible, it advocates ignorance, and creates stubborn close-minded people.

and before someones retracts with statements or accusations that i myself am close-minded or ignorant by being against the bible, I have actually read the bible and from page one it is complete horse shit. I believe in science, andevolution, not religious theories based on an old book re-written who knows how many times. some of it makes sense, but to follow the book to a 'T' as most religous people CLAIM to do, is completly idiotic. Also ever notice how are large majority of the people against homosexuality are either white trash, or old people.

normally i try not to interfere in politics or religious matters, but this is one thing that gets under my skin. i'm straight, but comfortable with *** people, i've gone to *** parades with my mom, even been to a *** bar or two. generally speaking, *** people are really nice. at least they are comfortable with who they are unlike most straight people.
                      Last edited by jboyce; 09-24-2005, 05:01 PM.

Comment

good thing im a jew. enough shit happened to us in the past that we're kinda relaxed on this shit lol.

Comment

The Bible says to "love thy neighbor"... that is, unless you're a man, and your neighbor is a man.

"Satan is ***. That's why he never sent his son to earth like God did. That's proof that homosexuality is evil!"

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
                            I think your points are valid, however Christian schools like the one that expelled that girl won't be interested. They have a narrow ideal that rises above all reason and common sense --- it's literally blind faith. Sounds dangerous because it obviously is. Bottom line: they don't need "justification" to you or anyone else; they are a private institution. The girl's lesbian parents know this and will not be fighting it.

In light of the situation, the expelled girl is likely to receive a better education elsewhere, whether she realizes it or not.
                            Heh, trust me, I know very well they're not going to listen to me and that it's unlikly I'll get a responce, but I want to see if I will. I do things like this alot, because I love psychology, and I don't understand strong faith, especially in things that can never be anything better than theory, especially because those who do believe anything strongly tend to not thoroughly thing out which they believe. So I ask people at random times why it is they believe what they believe, be it why they practice a certain religion, why they believe it to the degree that they do, motivations for homophobia, and so forth. I'm hoping maybe either they'll have some revelation that there's another way to get done what they intend to, or I'll have one more answer on my list of what reasons people have for belief. And yes, I don't think anything beats a public education, because you can't beat the education that comes from an environment of diversity, so the girl is better off, and I'm actually very proud of the parents for not debating something they knew they agreed to in the first place.

and to Irishone: talking religion and politics is great. Allowing it to get to the point of a moderate to full fledged debate is the problem. Same (or actually more so) with belief in pro-life/pro-choice. That's the one you'll get reemed for not drawing the line in the right place.

Comment

<<<<<<<<<<still keeps his mouth shut.

Comment

Working...
                              X