No announcement yet.

Hottest temperature on earth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

somehow this seems hard to beleive.........that here on earth........we can make the hottest point in the solar system....shit if its that hot..its probably the hottest point in the galaxy...here on earth.......i havent took astronomy but i want to learn more about this stuff.

Comment

ok if this was so true then why the f*ck cant we study a volcanoe a volcanoe is less hot than that shit so why cant we even enter one?

Comment

They only generated the temp for a short time. I suppose on most modern technologies, there would be a limit to how long it could be contained, but we have made progress, because a few years ago, we wouldn't have been able to contain this.

The fact that they actually got the plasma to a point where it was creating more energy than was put in signifies that they were able to contain what was, or was going to become a nuclear reaction. Most likely fusion.

Also, fusion is a HUGE waste of money. It would provide a clean renewable power source with no real toxic side effects, and would produce at least 8-10X more energy per amount of fuel consumed as anything we have now.

It would make Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles feasible, as well as allowing stuff like long distance space travel, because you wouldn't have to tanker fuel or energy.

Also, it would have qualified as the hottest temp in the Solar System, but probably not the Universe. There are too many unknowns out there, and the sun is only a medium sized star, and there may very well be much hotter stars.

It was definitely a step in the right direction though.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

great, im craving a steak right now!
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by elositocandela
            ok if this was so true then why the f*ck cant we study a volcanoe a volcanoe is less hot than that shit so why cant we even enter one?
            why would they lie about something like this? im not a physics, or geo major. But im sure there are reasons why we can do some things and not others. But im sure the reasons are WAY above the heads of the average cb7tuner

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
              why would they lie about something like this? im not a physics, or geo major. But im sure there are reasons why we can do some things and not others. But im sure the reasons are WAY above the heads of the average cb7tuner

I don't understand all of the intricacies of it either, but a big portion of it is time and circumstance.

This temp occured for a relatively short amount of time, whereas the mantle of the Earth is ALWAYS that hot.

The plasma was also contained in a strand about as thick as pencil lead by a tremendously powerful magnetic field. The heat was not in direct contact with the machine.

If you were to drop something into the mantle, it would be in direct contact, for a long period of time, resulting in failure of the test device. It is also hard to drive a truck, or something else, through many miles of rock.
              Besides, we can learn a lot about the mantle during eruption, flows, and after the Lava hardens. It is also hard to drive a truck through many miles of rock.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                I don't understand all of the intricacies of it either, but a big portion of it is time and circumstance.

This temp occured for a relatively short amount of time, whereas the mantle of the Earth is ALWAYS that hot.

The plasma was also contained in a strand about as thick as pencil lead by a tremendously powerful magnetic field. The heat was not in direct contact with the machine.

If you were to drop something into the mantle, it would be in direct contact, for a long period of time, resulting in failure of the test device. It is also hard to drive a truck, or something else, through many miles of rock.
                Besides, we can learn a lot about the mantle during eruption, flows, and after the Lava hardens. It is also hard to drive a truck through many miles of rock.
                so what your saying is that the heating object was floating?

Comment

so what your saying is that the heating object was floating?
                  yes...they used magnetic forces to compact the plasma.......do a google search on plasma

Comment

no wonder sorry about that

Comment

no wonder sorry about that
                      no problemo.......yeah seems hard to beleive. im still learning too.
                      Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 03-10-2006, 03:04 PM.

Comment

whoever said space travel is right on. being able to create energy would be key for space travel. furthermore, can anyone think of the military applications of technology like this? what if you could superheat matter than shoot it (it would likely go through most materials) sounds like the ultimate sniper rifle to me (think of the gun from the movie eraser)

the implications of such technology is for the most part, like someone said, is entirely over our heads.
                        1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

so what is this machine made out of so that it doesn't melt? even a million degreess..wtf...doesn't anyone grasp how hot that alone is? 3.6 billion....i don't see that being contained by anything for even a split second.. i think it's called 'we all die now'

Comment

Originally posted by DeathFromAbove
                            so what is this machine made out of so that it doesn't melt? even a million degreess..wtf...doesn't anyone grasp how hot that alone is? 3.6 billion....i don't see that being contained by anything for even a split second.. i think it's called 'we all die now'
                            As stated earlier..the plasma was floating in a magnetic field. it was not touching anything

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

i dont' give a shit if it was touching anything! i can stick my hand in the my oven without touching anything, and it's stull gonna burn my hand off.

Comment

I am not completely sure here, because I am pulling cobwebs off some pretty dusty stuff, but I do believe that it is possible to bend energy i.e. change its direction, if the magnetic field is strong enough. It is possible that the field was so strong, that the radiant heat energy wasn't allowed to radiate, but rather maintain travel in the direction of the plasma, or at least be contained with it.

That is one of the problems with ionized particles or plasma. A lot of the laws of physics that apply to ordinary matter, no longer apply. Some really crazy stuff starts happening. The same goes with ultra strong magnetic fields.

A good example that is a little more real world is airflow. There are almost entirely two seperate disciplines in Aerodynamics. Subsonic flow (less than the speed of sound) and Supersonic flow (greater than the speed of sound). There is region right in between the two called Transonic (changing from subsonic to supersonic) where some air is flowing slower and some is flowing faster than the speed of sound. When the air hits the speed of sound, there is an instananeous change in the way the air behaves. It is almost a completely different animal.

That is why they called it the "sound barrier". When an airplane is in transonic airflow, drag increases substantially, and weird things start to happen. Before they invented the airflow technology (swept wings, jet engines, etc) the change to supersonic was so violent, that it would actually cause airplanes to disintegrate instantaneously. Thus they thought it was a "barrier" that could not be broken. It proved to not be a barrier, just a lack of understanding. Eventually they figured it out and now supersonic flight is relatively commonplace.

That is kind of the case here obviously. It is technology that does exist on our level, we just don't understand it or know exactly how to manipulate it. The fact that they were able to repeat the results over and over though, indicates that we are on to something and that it isn't a fluke. Who knows what doors this will open. Maybe it won't be significant, but maybe it will.

Definitely one of the most exciting peices of news ever. I have been waiting for something like this, for almost 10 years now.

Comment

Working...
                                X