damn those main relays...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

damn those main relays...

well i wanted to tell somebody else this story, and i figured the only other people who would appreciate it is you guys.

yesterday i jumped in my car after work and it wouldnt start. it was hot as balls, and i listened and knew it was the main relay. luckily i had an extra one in the trunk for this very reason, but no tools besides pliars and a flathead screwdriver. keeping an extra was assuming i would be able to get the plug out of the old one... which of course i couldnt, with a million cubic feet of alarm wiring and the cruise control box in the way. i could get to it, but the release tab was on the wrong side.

5 minutes of wiggling my hand around, i took the flathead and smashed it through the sides of the MR and broke the clips off the sides to pull the center out. no go, the clutch pedal switch was directly under it and in the way. pliars to the rescue, i unscrewed the switch and threw it in the back. finally got the core of the MR out (left the case and bracket mounted under the dash), i plugged the extra one in...

...also bad. yay for parts from maple!! lol...

so i opened the extra one up and used the screwdriver to mash the solder around and make the connections and plugged it back in, and it finally worked.

yay for bootleg, short notice repair without real tools

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

lol mike you are the master at this sh*t! haha. I remember when i told a guy at Honda about the problem, he said to bang the dash above the drivers side vent and see if it works, lol. I guess you had a better plan mike

Formerly 91AccordExR33
    11.68 @ 127mph
    417whp/375wtq
    Sold: 8/2016

Comment

damn foo, hella crazy
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

your makin all us ghetto riggers proud

It's this EXACT reason I relocated the MR. Takes me a total of 2 seconds to change it out now and no tools required

My Accord History:
        91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
          your makin all us ghetto riggers proud

It's this EXACT reason I relocated the MR. Takes me a total of 2 seconds to change it out now and no tools required
          Where did you end up re-mounting it? Bump for a lazy person diy lol
          Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
          Project 240SX
          Originally posted by chillin943
          anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
          Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

Kudos for Maple.
            Adam - Retired OG member from '03
            2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
            2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
            2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

yay for maple! Mike your the man

I just bought the Viper 3000 alarm 250$ later LOL

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
                Where did you end up re-mounting it? Bump for a lazy person diy lol
                bump for a lazy person relocation job lol

My Accord History:
                91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

Sweetness lol, that works, I ended up taking the cruise control box out because I got tired of taking out everytime I needed to get up in there. Which one of your cars is that? Function>Form haha. I'm thinking about taking the nasty carpet out of mine and spraying the floor down with truck bed liner. Is the road noise really that much different without carpet?
                  Retired 1990 Accord LX Coupe
                  Project 240SX
                  Originally posted by chillin943
                  anyone kno if i can just make a hot wire for v-tec off the horn??
                  Vouches: Bought from: smseagren83, phatdoughnut, uk - accord, lucid, iamnemo, accord_inspire, 2point6, chopstickz, djcaz_aom, rosko

Comment

glad its running, gotta see it this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by blackice
                      Sweetness lol, that works, I ended up taking the cruise control box out because I got tired of taking out everytime I needed to get up in there. Which one of your cars is that? Function>Form haha. I'm thinking about taking the nasty carpet out of mine and spraying the floor down with truck bed liner. Is the road noise really that much different without carpet?
                      It's the stripped down one. It's totally ghetto and half-assed, but I bet Mike wishes his was setup this way earlier! And yes, you will hear some roadnoise! Bedliner may help but I don't think you'll see any weight savings tho.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

I can relate to the OP. Yesterday it was 92°F and unfortunately I parked under no shade. So after I got out of work and tried to start mine, same thing happened.....no start. I knew what sound to hear for but it took me 20 minutes to finally start the car. I opened all windows and doors to see if that would help but it didn't.

What is the easiest way to access the MR. I repaired one on a 86 LX-i, but can't seem to find it on mine.

*TIP* I think if you put those Car Sun-Visors (the one that goes across the inside of the windshield and is held by the visors) it should keep the inside cool and might prevent a no-start until you get to fixing the MR .
                        1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

look up under the dash, near the clutch pedal theres a silver box labelled CONT AUTO CRU. take the two 10mm bolts out and thatll fall out of the way, and youll find the MR up above it... grey rectangle case, brown bottom part, 7 pin (i think) connector. its held up by a bracket and a 10mm bolt.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Thanks Mike. I will take care of it today.
                            1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

any need a MR? i got one layin here resoldered already

Formerly 91AccordExR33
                              11.68 @ 127mph
                              417whp/375wtq
                              Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Working...
                              X