Drove a turbo Civic today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drove a turbo Civic today....

I drove a turbocharged '99 Civic today, yeah.......it was pathetic! This thing couldn't get out of its own way! It sounded cool when the turbo spooled up, but......it just didn't seem to go anywhere. WTF??? Seemed like a waste of money if you ask me.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

What was wrong with it? That seems to be the only thing people want me to build for them. I've had great results with SOHC Vtec turbos. Low 14 second cars all of them. Not bad at all I thought.
    My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

Really??? well....not this one, I don't think this one would have broken 20 seconds! This thing was a dog! I don't know, I think I would have opted for a B series motor swap instead.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

isnt that for some turbo setups on some civics, the power is only at really high rpms?

but i seen turbo civics that really pull..HARD...

is it ur friends? or?
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

That's odd. I have been in two turbo Civics so far. Both pull hard as fuck! The first turbo Civic I got to ride in was a 94 coupe that had a B18C1 block and a B16 head and was well built. Thing ran mid 12's all day. The other one I have taken a ride in was a 90 hatch that had a 1.6L single cam, no vtec motor. The guy is known as Turbo Tom. That should give you a clue on what his specialty is. That car runs mid 13's all day. Both pull hard as a mutha'. There might have been something wrong with the car you were riding in. All I know is that from past experiences, turbo Civics are beasts.
          "I'm out for presidents to represent me"

Comment

This was a Civic EX (D16Y8) with a bunch of bolt-ons and the turbo. Now, had it been a B16A or B18C with a turbo....that would be a different story. This particular SOHC turbo motor.....SUCKED! I don't know, I thought it would be much more impressive than that. I drove it around the block a few times, of course I didn't say this out loud, but I was thinking...."you gotta be kidding, thats it???!!!" Like I said before, it sounded cool, but it didn't even come close to impressing me.....especially for how much money a set-up like that costs compared to a stock twin-cam motor, which I know would have completely stomped all over this thing.
            Last edited by mrhonda; 03-28-2004, 02:03 AM.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

mabye it had something wrong..most of the guys who have turbo civics are pushing at least 200HP ish.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                mabye it had something wrong..most of the guys who have turbo civics are pushing at least 200HP ish.
                from a D series???

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

yes

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

on top of that he either isnt caring about the motor or he went to the wrong tuner or worse tuning it himself . When cars arent tuned they run like shit, what size is the turbo by the way and is this with an intercooler or without last but not least what fuel management was he usin?

Comment

I raced a turbo Civic yesterday... The thing ran 11.415. The guy was so shaken up that he stopped as he was exiting the track. I pulled up next to him and asked if he was ok... He was practically shaking, and said "That thing is CRAZY!"

I think he said he spun his wheels in 4th...

Comment

Boost happy

Comment

Race Built
                          They were pushing the thing in the staging lanes because it's low end wasn't enough to creep...

And yes, it seems it's true that the high power turbo B series (which I'm positive he had) are mainly high rev engines.

Comment

I know a kid that has a civic ex and he put on a turbo and ran a second slower. I thought it was funny.

R.I.P. Molly, you will be missed. Only 16 and your life taken away from an irresponsible driver. (10/14/08)

Sold to: Boost_Lee | Cby0 | CB710AE | CB7lx91 | Davids92Accord | Driftspec310 | F22HB | sunburn | Wed3k

Comment

then of course something is wrong.. and he had no right turbocharging that civic if its running a second slower something is definetly wrong

Praise The Lowered...

Comment

Working...
                              X