hit a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hit a deer

Last night on her way home from work, my wife hit a deer in our cb7. ! I wrecked my first car 3 weeks 2 days after I got my license. I wrecked my second car 3 weeks 1 day after that. Since that, my phylosophy has pretty much been 'don't call the insurance over nuthin.' So I figured, don't report it, it'll cost more per year than to replace everything myself with parts from ebay. I only needed a hood, fender, headlight, and corner light for the driver side. I ordered a headlight and corner light this morning. A little while ago I called my dad and explain everything. He said the insurance will probably total it, I could buy it back for next to nothing after they pay about kelly blue book value.

If they total it, it's definitly coming back home. I probably put on a carbon fiber hood, some z3 fenders, black corner lights, some tail lights and then paint the car black. Total sleeper. You won't know I'm there until I'm in front of you. I wish. Anyway, how much should I pay for a hood and fender, I have a habit of getting ripped off.

thanks
    91 Accord LX

MotoraZ Chrome 4-2-1 headers
    intake
    exhaust

i paid $525 for my c/f hood a few years ago, and they definitely aren't that much now (had to pay a lot for shipping).

not sure how much fenders run.

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Comment

If you want stock parts, check out the classifieds on here. I know Acclude91 is selling some stuff, and Rage237 also had some stuff up for a 90 (which would work with your 91 as well.) Otherwise, eBay is the way to go. Just check seller feedback before bidding. Lots of the people who are selling car stuff on there sell a lot, and have high feedback ratings.

Comment

Maybe this can turn out for the best!

Did the deer die?

www.SnowSuperStars.com

Comment

OMG! I totally forgot to tell you about that. When we found the body (yes it died), I realized that it appeared to be fine except for one thing, it tail had been ripped off. Their was just like a 3" gap in the fur where everything was just kinda falling out. It was gross.

we called the insurance today and reported it, got an appointment with an adjuster tues. morning. I've never been through anything like this, my wife's got a $500 deductable, what exactly can I expect happen?

I found a carbon fiber hood for $220 + $80 s&h. I found some Z3 fenders for around $200 including shipping. That's what I'll probably go ahead and get.
          91 Accord LX

intake
          exhaust

Comment

In my opnion z3 fenders are kinda over used. That money could go to performance. How do the rest of you guys feal?

www.SnowSuperStars.com

Comment

I'm not a fan of the fenders either, but hey, it's your car. Do what you like! I've seen quite a few cars with z3 fenders that looked pretty nice... It's just the primered/multicolored cars with em that bug me.

As for the CF hood, where did you find one so cheap? Is it a decent make? Cheap ones are known to warp and/or crack, or at the very least not fit snugly to your car. If it's a VIS or Fiber Images (which I doubt) then you're getting a hell of a deal! I've been looking for one for a while (OEM style) and The cheapest I've found is $350 I think.

Comment

well the difference in cost between Z3 and stock is only like $50-75. I get what your saying and if was anymore that what it is, I would totally choose performance over looks. My upgrade budget is totally tapped out right now so if I can get everything put back together and hopefully get the car painted black, I'll consider myself extremely lucky.

I don't know the details of the cf hood, just something that I found on ebay, looked like a regular item. I'm sure I'll be checking on it again soon so I'll try to post the details.
                Last edited by potfiend; 09-13-2003, 07:22 PM.
                91 Accord LX

intake
                exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by potfiend
                  well the difference in cost between Z3 and stock is only like $50-75. I get what your saying and if was anymore that what it is, I would totally choose performance over looks. My upgrade budget is totally tapped out right now so if I can get everything put back together and hopefully get the car painted black, I'll consider myself extremely lucky.

I don't know the details of the cf hood, just something that I found on ebay, looked like a regular item. I'm sure I'll be checking on it again soon so I'll try to post the details.
                  Very understandable. I just forgot you were putting your car back together. My bad.

www.SnowSuperStars.com

Comment

no prob. Speaking of painting the car, I usually get my dad to paint my cars. Only problem, I want a clear coat on the cb7 so that I can really get a mirror shine. No body I know has had any kind of experience with clear coat. So basically I've got two questions. Can anyone give me an approximate cost of a gallon of clear coat paint. Also, can anyone give me an approximate cost of what a paint shop would charge.

If anyone can answer the paint question (first one) I'd be damn surprised so prove me wrong.
                    91 Accord LX

intake
                    exhaust

Comment

I found a carbon fiber hood for $220 + $80 s&h.
                      i'll tell you now, that any carbon fiber hood for that cheap, is either going to be fake or not real good quality at all. it will probably have a bad weave, and not be UV ray protected... so over time it will fade in the sun. i'm just assuming this though. that's an awfully cheap price. what's the brand of the hood? do you have the ebay link?

Comment

This is the prduct description:
                        "You are bidding on a REAL Carbon Fiber Hood. This hood is extremely light weight, very durable, and UV protected. No modification or other major hardware is needed to install this hood. This item is perfect for added show and performance to your vehicle" Buy it now price - $219.99 ($190 shipping).

The ebay address is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33646

The only kind of brand name is that they said it was OEM.

I never noticed how expensive the shipping is, it seems high as hell to me but I've never ordered anything as big as a hood before. Just so you guys know, at 12:49am (est) there's 21 hours and 31 mins left.
                        91 Accord LX

intake
                        exhaust

Comment

That $140 shipping is why it's so cheap... There's no way in hell that would cost so much to ship. Hell, my ENGINE only cost $200 to ship! That's how a lot of ebay sellers make their money. People don't know shipping standards, so they can sell an item at super low prices, and take advantage of people's ignorance on shipping to make a profit. If the item sells for a profit, then that's a bonus.

Try emailing the guy to see what brand the hood is. If it's VIS or Fiber Images, then it's still a good deal. Otherwise, you're gonna have a $360 potato chip on your hands...

Comment

no prob. Speaking of painting the car, I usually get my dad to paint my cars. Only problem, I want a clear coat on the cb7 so that I can really get a mirror shine. No body I know has had any kind of experience with clear coat. So basically I've got two questions. Can anyone give me an approximate cost of a gallon of clear coat paint. Also, can anyone give me an approximate cost of what a paint shop would charge.

If anyone can answer the paint question (first one) I'd be damn surprised so prove me wrong.
                            Our CB7's have a two-stage paint process (basecoat and clearcoat) from the factory... When I sprayed my car, I mixed a little bit of raspberry pearl into the clear and sprayed it over the basecoat (stock "Navajo Red")... The cost for me for a gallon of clear was around $80 (that what happens when I live in the middle of the Pacific)... Yours should be slightly cheaper per gallon... As far as paint shops go (assuming you're talking about a complete paint job), about $1500 (including "minor" bodywork) is a safe bet... Custom colors will run you higher...

What I learned over the years is that you'll save tons of cheese if you can do the work yourself... Or bribe your dad with a case of beer and some food to re-paint your car... lol...

BTW- 1 gallon of clear is enough to cover your car about 4-5 times... Buff that motha' out to really bring out the shine... Also, it wouldn't hurt to spray your C/F hood with clear, too, for added protection and further shine... Good luck on your "re-build" and let us know the end results...

Hope this aswers your ?'s...

L8z-
                            Jay
                            "Don't meddle with things you don't understand..."

1990 Accord LX- Maroon w/Raspberry pearl. Daily driven: NOT a stay-at-home-bitch RIP 8/9/2006

Another Gen4 CB7 ryde in the works...

Ryde Syndicate... "If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense..."

Comment

This site never ceases to amaze me, you guys rock. The previous post answer alot of questions but raises more. The average cost of the supplies needed (thinner, stirrers, sand paper, tape, everything) for a basecoat only paint job was around $200. Since I also have alot of dents on other parts of the car, I will need to get bondo, hardener, and a lot more sand paper in addition to the clear coat. Would an additional $100 (150 max) be enough to cover the additional items?

Also, I was confused about one thing. You said that 1 gallon would be enough to cover the car 4-5 times. Are you saying that I don't need a full gallon or are you saying that more coats allows me to get a brighter shine?

Again, you guys totally kick ass!

Peace
                              91 Accord LX

intake
                              exhaust

Comment

Working...
                              X