driving a manual stick...any tips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driving a manual stick...any tips??

okay so my friend is gonna let me drive his 2000 civic(i hate it)...its manual and am gonna learn stick, i just want to get some tips from you guys of what to do and not to do...

thanks

Don't overrev the engine, don't ride the clutch while driving, and don't dump the clutch coming off a light when a cop's around.

Really, though, you'll find where the sweet spot is on the clutch where it engages and once you find it, its all gravy.
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

If your friend owns it .. he'll show you the ropes ...

Find a nice BIIiig empty parking lot to practice in .. and then later, if you have any hills,
      attack them with all your knowledge ..

A Hui Hou !!!
      Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

yea the hills am scarrrrred about lol...

i live close to the sierra nevada so i might have a trip sometime to reno or lake tahoe so if i stall.... ...

dump the clutch what u mean???

plus my friend, he is a young guy like me and not a fully pro manual driver also...

Comment

Originally posted by sackingz123
          yea the hills am scarrrrred about lol...

dump the clutch what u mean???
          don't be worried about hills, starting on hills just takes what you learned and applying it quicker as to not roll into the car behind you. obviously dont do attempt any hills until you are comfortable starting on flat ground. dumping the clutch is going from having the clutch engaged and very quickly disengaging it (like if you were racing). the reason he says not to do this is it will squeal the tires and cops call that stunting.
          1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

Ahhh I remember the first time that I drove stick I drove a Jeep cherokee with a bad clutch and I drove it in some really heavy traffic. One tip I can give you that is helpful when you are on a inclined road and you come to a stop pull the e brake and when it turns green release the clutch slowly and when it engages release the e brake and give it gas, this is so you dont roll back and hit the car behind you if you need any more tips pm me.
            Last edited by HondaGuy1212; 10-21-2006, 03:44 PM.

Comment

starting off, get a little roll from a downslope and have it in second gear. upshift to third and so on. thats how i got the hang of it.

Comment

Its not difficult at all. I remember when I had my first car and learned how to drive the hard way, in regular traffic here in the city. There was no where for me to go out and drive where there isnt traffic.

If there is one thing I can say to help you it is... be smooth. Be smooth with the clutch, gas and when you shift. Dont panic if the car rolls back or it doesnt do what you want it to do, until you get used to the clutch.

What I used to, and still do on very steep inclines is pull the emergency brake, give it some gas till it wants to move and slowly let the e brake go till you get it moving. I learned that one from driving in Puerto Rico.

Comment

Just find where the clutch "catches"...from there everything else will come. The first time you get in the car, hopefully it will be in an empty lot. Slowly let the clutch out w/o using the gas and see where the car starts to move. From there you should know how to drive stick.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Balance between clutch and gas is the key if not the engine will choke or will not move.

Make sure clutch is all the way down when u shift or you'll grind the tranny gears.

im not really used to manuals because of less experience , but it is fun driving a stick

Originally posted by ant96gle

What I used to, and still do on very steep inclines is pull the emergency brake, give it some gas till it wants to move and slowly let the e brake go till you get it moving. I learned that one from driving in Puerto Rico.
                    X2

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

make sure ur right foot is very stable.

A lot of new stick drivers, including myself in the beginning, have trouble with this.

I found it easy to plant my heel and stabalize my foot that way. The clutch foot is easier...its more so an on/off thing.

enjoy it.
                      DEVOTE

Comment

Screw the ebrake, if someones that close behind me they deserve to be rolled into and it should teach them a lesson.
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        I'd eat a baby for free. I'm hungry, dammit!

Comment

what i tell everyone that wants to learn how to drive manual in my car is when you move the shifter, that clutch better be fuckin pressed down and then its all about timing.
                          1993 Honda Accord LX
                          2006 Yamaha R6
                          2004 Acura TSX

Comment

Just try not to think about it to much. Try get used to the gas pedal and then start letting the clutch out slowly, when it starts to roll give it the gas... just not too much. Once your out of first gear its simple

Sold as of 12-16-06

My Ride
                            DIY: Painting E-Brake Button

91 Honda Accord Coupe EX F22A4 5-speed

Comment

it doesnt hurt to feather the clutch
                              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                              X